TXTaz

Madison Bumgarner 2017 Season Outlook

It's my human right to stick my hand in a blender. That doesn't make it the smart thing to do when my profession requires me to use my hand.

I don't see how someone can struggle so much with the concept so much. Someone can be free to do something and that something can still be considered overly risky or dumb.

Edited by hailtoyourvictor

2 minutes ago, hailtoyourvictor said:

@mysonx3

Do you think it would be smart for MLB players to do this? It's their human right to do it, but does that make it a particularly smart thing to do?

Absolutely not. But that's not what I'm arguing. People are acting like he committed a crime or something. People criticizing it as risky or dumb are absolutely correct. People claiming it's some horrific act are, to be frank, hypocrites.

Just now, mysonx3 said:

Absolutely not. But that's not what I'm arguing. People are acting like he committed a crime or something. People criticizing it as risky or dumb are absolutely correct. People claiming it's some horrific act are, to be frank, hypocrites.

We are absolutely correct for calling it risky or dumb? What makes you say that? What makes it risky or dumb?

Just now, hailtoyourvictor said:

We are absolutely correct for calling it risky or dumb? What makes you say that? What makes it risky or dumb?

Risky - he could have (and, as it turned out, did) get hurt, and, in doing so, possibly cost himself lots of money as a team will be less likely to bet big on him in free agency/contract extensions now that he's got a shoulder issue under his belt

Dumb - this one is more opinion, but the reward of the decision was outweighed by the risk

15 hours ago, mysonx3 said:

The bolded is false. Mad-Bum is a person, and an American citizen. He has rights. He is not an asset.

A building, or a team plane or vehicle. Those are assets. A person is not an asset.

Players are treated like assets in many ways (they are, after all, a tradable commodity), and that's not wrong - their contracts give them similar value to their employers. And most talk of players as assets is harmless. But to suggest that a human being is an asset and therefore has less rights than you or I is patently false and ethically disgusting.

Madison Bumgarner is an American citizen. As such, he is free to ride a dirt bike or participate in other recreational activities provided he does so legally and is not contractually obligated to avoid doing so.

asset.jpg

For reference, nobody in any NFBC leagues dropped him this week.  When it becomes clearer how long he will be out and teams begin to have more injuries and fall out of races, it'll be interesting to see if that changes. 

Just now, hailtoyourvictor said:

asset.jpg

Read the second definition (the one applicable in this instance given the poster I was responding to calling him a "multi-million dollar asset")

3 minutes ago, mysonx3 said:

Risky - he could have (and, as it turned out, did) get hurt, and, in doing so, possibly cost himself lots of money as a team will be less likely to bet big on him in free agency/contract extensions now that he's got a shoulder issue under his belt

Dumb - this one is more opinion, but the reward of the decision was outweighed by the risk

Me: "Playing golf, fishing, etc. are all as risky/dangerous as riding a dirt bike, right?"

You: "Do you always put your employer first no matter what even when you're not on the clock? Didn't think so"

Nice 180.

2 minutes ago, mysonx3 said:

Read the second definition (the one applicable in this instance given the poster I was responding to calling him a "multi-million dollar asset")

Madison Bumgarner was useful and valuable to the SF Giants. That makes him an asset, right?

20 hours ago, mysonx3 said:

So professional athletes aren't allowed to participate in recreational activities? Okay...

Me: "Playing golf, fishing, etc. are all as risky/dangerous as riding a dirt bike, right?"

You: "Do you always put your employer first no matter what even when you're not on the clock? Didn't think so"

Nice 180.

Nice work leaving out context. On top is the original post I made that you responded to. I never said it was not risky or dumb.

Madison Bumgarner was useful and valuable to the SF Giants. That makes him an asset, right?

Not in the business sense (the second definition), which is CLEARLY what the poster I was responding to meant by asset given his use of the phrase "multi-million dollar asset".

Since you don't seem to be interested in any sort of intellectual honesty, I'm going to bow out of this conversation and find somebody open to telling the whole truth with whom to discuss baseball

3 minutes ago, mysonx3 said:

Nice work leaving out context. On top is the original post I made that you responded to. I never said it was not risky or dumb.

I implied it was risky and dumb. You condescendingly asked if I always put my employer first no matter what even if I'm not on the clock. So you were either defending the risky and dumb action or you were just being rude for the fun of it.

4 minutes ago, mysonx3 said:

Not in the business sense (the second definition), which is CLEARLY what the poster I was responding to meant by asset given his use of the phrase "multi-million dollar asset".

Since you don't seem to be interested in any sort of intellectual honesty, I'm going to bow out of this conversation and find somebody open to telling the whole truth with whom to discuss baseball

Asset: A useful or valuable thing, person or quality.

The poster you responded to said: "Madbum is a multi-million dollar asset to his employer and can't be replaced by ANYONE."

That is talking about how useful (can't be replace by anyone) and valuable (worth multi-millions) Madison Bumgarner is. He is an asset. Useful and valuable.

8 minutes ago, hailtoyourvictor said:

If the Giant owners sell the team all players are considered assets as it would be part of the purchase price. They also count as liabilities (contracts) after tge purchase as it would be negative cash flow. Usually when a club is sold high priced players are traded before the sale.

5 minutes ago, Low and Away said:

If the Giant owners sell the team all players are considered assets as it would be part of the purchase price. They also count as liabilities (contracts) after tge purchase as it would be negative cash flow. Usually when a club is sold high priced players are traded before the sale.

That's not correct. Assets must be owned by the business. Just look at the balance sheet for any business...Employees are not assets. 

Let's quit bickering and stick to the subject Madison Bumgarner's 2017 Fantasy Baseball Value.  If you'd like to continue this exchange, take it to PM.  Thanks.

Anywho, riding dirt bikes has been a lifelong passion for Madison. He sent me a note right after the accident:

Hey Guapo - You know, riding dirt bikes is my life, man. Here's a video of me as a tyke, celebrating on my sweet bike after I struck out 18 kids for the Hickory NC Mighty Mites.

fail bike ever dirt smallest GIF

Well, its a relief he won't have surgery....wait, what

Madison Bumgarner will not require surgery on his injured left shoulder.

That's the initial evaluation anyway, after a round of tests overseen by Dr. Kenneth Akizuki. Bumgarner is hoping to begin rehab activities in 4-5 days but probably won't be ready to resume throwing off a mound for two months. The ace left-hander suffered a strained AC joint and a rib cage bruise last Thursday in a dirt-bike accident.

13 minutes ago, kidtwentytwo said:

Well, its a relief he won't have surgery....wait, what

Madison Bumgarner will not require surgery on his injured left shoulder.

That's the initial evaluation anyway, after a round of tests overseen by Dr. Kenneth Akizuki. Bumgarner is hoping to begin rehab activities in 4-5 days but probably won't be ready to resume throwing off a mound for two months. The ace left-hander suffered a strained AC joint and a rib cage bruise last Thursday in a dirt-bike accident.

Not throwing off a mound for two months...that likely means not in a mlb game for three.

No surgery tells me rotator cuff and labrum are intact. No neurovascular issues.  Pretty good news really.

The two month timeframe is pure speculation.  It may be accurate, but it will depend on how quickly inflammation and pain subside.

I have no inside info, but if I was betting on it I would bet the under.

On 4/25/2017 at 0:15 AM, mysonx3 said:

It is apples to apples. How is Bumgarner's relationship to his employer so different from yours as to fall under an entirely different set of rules?

If you don't think it's apples to apples, then you're by definition applying a double standard. You want to impose on Bumgarner rules that you yourself aren't willing to follow. That's called a double standard. It's also called hypocrisy.

It's an interesting point. But as athletes and entertainers aren't they more important than us daily office etc workers? If we break an arm doing outside activities it hurts our company and our boss is mad, but I don't feel it often has the same affect as an ace pitcher to a team- he is simply more important to his team than any other player. Plus we can likely get back to some form of work much quicker than an athlete and it likely won't affect our career.

Plus all the Giants fans who feel disappointed by Mad Bum's injury, there probably wouldn't be more than a handful of people disappointed if the same happened to me ha. 

So in that sense I feel like they have more responsibility to keep themselves healthy in outside activities, while they are playing professional sport.

Edited by swfcdan

Stephania Bell was on the radio and said, barring any setbacks, she expects him to be the Mad Bum of old when he comes back.  Possible buy-low opportunity in dynasty.