TXTaz

Madison Bumgarner 2017 Season Outlook

In a season long league he was just dropped, is he worth stashing till he returns? When is he likely back? Late July?

25 minutes ago, soxfan94 said:

In a season long league he was just dropped, is he worth stashing till he returns? When is he likely back? Late July?

Some time after the All-Star break

2 hours ago, soxfan94 said:

Yes.

Give me 10-15 Madbum starts for free, please.

That's what I thought, but the dude dropped him for Alex Wood, so I thought he might be out longer or something, or there was something I didn't realize about his injury.

1 minute ago, soxfan94 said:

That's what I thought, but the dude dropped him for Alex Wood, so I thought he might be out longer or something, or there was something I didn't realize about his injury.

Don't want to turn this into BC, but yeah, pick him up now before it's too late.

1 hour ago, soxfan94 said:

Probably the same guy who cancels his amazon prime order if it's not on his doorstep in the next hour.  We live in a world of no patience.  Reap the rewards.

Bumgarner to return "no sooner than early August".  I think he's droppable in redrafts.  August will turn into September, and now you have to weight burning a roster spot on him all year long.  If you are blessed with no injuries, hold him...but most of us are not.  

26 minutes ago, kidtwentytwo said:

Bumgarner to return "no sooner than early August".  I think he's droppable in redrafts.  August will turn into September, and now you have to weight burning a roster spot on him all year long.  If you are blessed with no injuries, hold him...but most of us are not.  

I still feel like he's a guy you only drop if you know for sure he won't be back.  Let's face, even if you have multiple injuries, he's likely the best of your DL guys and the most likely to help you when he gets back.  The dude's a top five arm, he's worth holding.

16 minutes ago, phillyphan21 said:

I still feel like he's a guy you only drop if you know for sure he won't be back.  Let's face, even if you have multiple injuries, he's likely the best of your DL guys and the most likely to help you when he gets back.  The dude's a top five arm, he's worth holding.

At this point you have to consider how much he's even going to play.  If he's back in late August/September, you get what?  6-7 starts?  Probably doesn't go deep in many of them.  Roto makes more sense to keep him around.  A H2H team that's fading or struggling to stay above water can consider cutting because he probably won't really be back until the playoffs.  

I don't think you can straight up cut him. If you need the room that bad I think you've got to try and trade him to one of the top teams who can afford to roster him.

7 hours ago, TomBradysCollegeRoommate said:

Threw off mound today, on track to for simulated game this week.

Looks like our beloved MadBum is approaching a return very soon!

still 4 plus weeks away

30 minutes ago, KingJoffrey said:

I heard "right after the all star break" as the latest timetable" which still gives him around 2 1/2 months.

lol.   thats actually next month.  It's June 12th, the game is July 12th.   How the hell do you get 2 1/2 months?

Edited by rich22

2 hours ago, KingJoffrey said:

2 1/2 months..to pitch

I'm really curious as to why you think that if he's already throwing in a simulated game this weekcand predicted to return around early to mid-July... I don't get where you're getting 2 1/2 months from

He means Bum will pitch for 2 1/2 months (August, September, and half of July) after returning.

Still have to keep in mind the Giants are awful.  A month from now they could be out of it.  Why rush your gem back for no reason.  Lots of innings in that shoulder, possibility of set back is for sure there.  They are going to baby him because of their poor record I think.  If you have the DL spot, for sure hold him.  I think expecting the Mad Bum we all know from the get go is a bit too much wishful thinking.  I'd be very hesitant on what he produces this year.  Again, just my 2 cents. 

1 hour ago, Triple Crown25 said:

Still have to keep in mind the Giants are awful.  A month from now they could be out of it.  Why rush your gem back for no reason.  Lots of innings in that shoulder, possibility of set back is for sure there.  They are going to baby him because of their poor record I think.  If you have the DL spot, for sure hold him.  I think expecting the Mad Bum we all know from the get go is a bit too much wishful thinking.  I'd be very hesitant on what he produces this year.  Again, just my 2 cents. 

Well with how thin starting pitching is, I'd be more than happy with a limited Bumgarner than a lot of the other options out there

45 minutes ago, TomBradysCollegeRoommate said:

Well with how thin starting pitching is, I'd be more than happy with a limited Bumgarner than a lot of the other options out there

Very true.  SP is definitely a wasteland.  Like I said, if you have the room...definite hold.  All I was saying is that I feel like expectations should be tempered a bit.

this seems ahead of scheduled. I wasn't expecting him back until the end of July. how much time would he need for rehab in the minors? 3 starts? 2 weeks?

Giants have lost 21 of last 28.  Maybe he's ahead of schedule, I just feel like there's no reason to push him.  I'm still interested to see how many rehab starts he gets, followed by how long his first few outings are.  Looks as if he's definitely gonna be back sooner than I thought for sure.  I just honestly dont understand when you're borderline out of it by the all star break what the incentive is bringing him back anything short of 100% when he's the heart and soul of your team.  Guess time will tell.  A helluva competitor no doubt 

On 6/12/2017 at 7:26 AM, KingJoffrey said:

2 1/2 months..to pitch

my bad