Pernil

Joey Gallo 2017 Outlook

7k in 10AB   yes he hit a long HR but he has no business being on the Rangers roster right now.  He needs to show progress down in AAA.  He can hit the occasional mistake a long way but mostly he is an automatic out.

19 hours ago, lavaman said:

Don't give up on this guy. Power is legit...just needs some seasoning whether in AAA or the Bigs. Give it  some time, especially in Dynasty Leagues.

You have to give it time because of the one skill talent, but its certainly not looking likely at this stage that Gallo is more than Chris Carter. Yes, he is young enough to improve, but with each mounting year of 35% K-rates, that light dims.

29 minutes ago, TTRA1N said:

Huge game today. Any chance he stays?

That's what I was wondering. Once Beltre gets back, is it a sure thing he gets demoted? I'd think he's the kind of rookie you want to keep around.

How can you demote a guy hitting like this? That'll only hurt him. My guess he splits time, I mean wouldn't that be the logical thing to do? And keep Beltre fresh for playoffs. But Im not a manager or anything so what do I know.

20 minutes ago, ZChronicNebula said:

How can you demote a guy hitting like this? That'll only hurt him. My guess he splits time, I mean wouldn't that be the logical thing to do? And keep Beltre fresh for playoffs. But Im not a manager or anything so what do I know.

To be fair, he was only hitting .125 with 2 hits prior to today's solid line.  He's shown a penchant for power in the past too, but also tons of Ks...he has 9 already in 6 games this year.  TEX just doesn't have room for consistent ABs once Beltre returns, unless they are willing to hand LF to Mazara and put Choo in RF.  That would eliminate the LF platoon, but also means Napoli has to play 1B every game, assuming they don't move Gallo there.  Without a trade or injury, I think Joey is going to be better off getting consistent ABs at AAA than being a part-time player in TEX.  I'm not a manager either, and I would like to see Gallo stick with the big league club for selfish fantasy reasons, but I doubt that's going to happen.  In all likelihood, Beltre returns Tuesday and Gallo goes back to Round Rock.  Hopefully, I'm wrong and they figure out a way to keep him in the lineup.

Yeah I just mean you have to establish a young hitter with as much potential as him. Getting him the most AB's as possible is the best thing to do, obviously probably not for the team, but in the longrun could be worth it.

1 hour ago, ZChronicNebula said:

In what world is a guy who striking out in 39% of his ABs going to push a Hall of Fame caliber team veteran/leader to the bench even half the time? If the Rangers were inclined to keep Gallo up, hit would be likely as an OF/DH with Choo/DeShields/Rua. The Rangers are built to win now, not develop a guy who has not yet demonstrated the ability to regularly hit AAA pitching.  Right now, he's a younger, more athletic Chris Carter. There's value and potential there, but this isn't the second coming of Stanton right now.

my bad I was thinking like a rebuilding nba team

Edited by ZChronicNebula

Posted this in the Beltre thread too, but here's some semi-encouraging news today from Rangers' GM about Gallo possibly sticking around:

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2017/04/10/daniels-says-beltre-wont-be-activated-for-tuesdays-game/

Rangers general manager Jon Daniels told The Ben and Skin Show on 105.3 The Fan that ...he’s not sure when Beltre would be activated, but that the club has been pleased with fill-in Joey Gallo’s play so far.

When asked who would be sent down in a corresponding move when Beltre is ready, Daniels wouldn’t speculate but added that Gallo has been one of the club’s better hitters through the first week of the season.

If Beltre isn't activated today, it'll be interesting to see if Gallo gets another start against a lefty -- last time he hit a HR.

Well, K's and power still going hand-in-hand for this guy.  BABIP right at .300 but two more Ks yesterday moves him into the top 10...that's nearly a 38% K rate.  He did have a HR pulled back by a great Haniger catch though and turned a nice DP with the glove.  He's having a lot of competitive ABs too, even when he Ks.  Beltre is still likely 2-4 weeks away, so it'll be interesting to see what happens to Joey once he returns.  Gomez and Napoli aren't really hitting either and strike out almost as often as Gallo.  Lots can happen in the next few weeks..

2 hours ago, Ace_King said:

Another homer today.

Is he playing well enough to stay up with the club? There was talk earlier of him being sent down after someone came off the DL.

15 minutes ago, lavaman said:

Is he playing well enough to stay up with the club? There was talk earlier of him being sent down after someone came off the DL.

Not sure--I just saw that homered because I have a need at 3B with Beltre out. From what was mentioned earlier in the thread, and the potential he has shown, you would think they would find a way to have him play at least most of the time, whether in the outfield or as DH when Beltre returns.

Had a feeling last night after he had that double and later scored the winning run in extras, that he'd get hot...

2-for-2 2 HRs

...on my bench. Anyone see them?

Longest and hardest hit HR of the year

Edited by Spina

3 hours ago, 96GOAT said:

Damn that kid can annihilate a freakin' baseball!

Would be epic to see him hit in the home run derby. He'd probably manage to strike out during it, but it would be great nonetheless. 

Actually looking forward to Beltre's return -- Gallo looks good, but he'd look better with 1B/OF/3B next to his name.

Think they find a way for him to be in the line-up daily.

What are the odds he plays everyday when Beltre comes back?

Is he really going to play 1B, OF?

Edited by Joesh

Thinking they will try to keep his bat in the lineup most days, even when Beltre gets back.

Power is legit...but those K's!!!!

He gets Phil Hughes tomorrow... I'm picking him up fully expecting a big game