Pernil

Joey Gallo 2017 Outlook

1 minute ago, Evincar said:

And Thames hits in the top of the lineup.

Maybe Gallo is a nice consolation prize for people who missed out on Thames. He's still available in my league.

just picked hem up. swing away bad boy. crank that .

1 hour ago, 96GOAT said:

The Rangers have to keep him in the lineup once Beltre returns.  There's no way they can keep him on the bench now.  Joey is making the most of his opportunity this time around.  He's forcing their hand.  He's raking thus far.

He's gotta be ticketed for LF...The Rangers have a black hole at that position...

1 hour ago, Evincar said:

Maybe Gallo is a nice consolation prize for people who missed out on Thames. He's still available in my league.

I wasn't throwing shade on gallo at all, been enjoying his production. Just saying he's not been the #1 fantasy player...thames has....somehow lol 

8 hours ago, Zombies said:

He's gotta be ticketed for LF...The Rangers have a black hole at that position...

I hope that happens.  That would be huge for Gallo owners to have him OF eligible as well. 

Now the #19 ranked player overall in my Yahoo league that counts OPS. Safe to say he needs to be owned and started in all formats until he either 1) cools off or 2) loses playing time. 

Last 7 days: .318 avg., 1.468 OPS, 7 Runs, 5 HR, 7 RBI, 1 SB

Edited by mjb03003

I had to pick Gallo up last weekend and see where this is going.  It wasn't really that many weeks ago that Aaron Judge was being viewed as another Gallo/Chris Carter type bat, who would struggle to hit .220 in 2017, and now his stock is way up.  If Joey reverts to slump city/strikeout king form, no biggie.  

11 hours ago, Evincar said:

Don't need listen to the marks. He's far from must own in any league. 

18 minutes ago, jester2trife said:

He's ranked 13th overall in my OPS league. Perfect format for him.

14 minutes ago, Carlos Correa said:

He's ranked 13th overall in my OPS league. Perfect format for him.

Depend in on settings of course. Not saying he's not worth owning in all leagues obviously. Not factoring in batting average, that's a different animal.

15 minutes ago, jester2trife said:

Depend in on settings of course. Not saying he's not worth owning in all leagues obviously. Not factoring in batting average, that's a different animal.

Gallo's ranked 19th in leagues that count both average and OPS. He's ranked 24th in another league of mine that only uses BA. 

I understand there are reasons to be skeptical but it seems like the @Turkey Burgers approach of picking him up to see where it's going is prudent in any/all formats. 

There have been signs of growth/improvement (read my earlier posts) so this isn't *necessarily* a flash in the pan. 

46 minutes ago, jester2trife said:

Gallo is currently the #1 3B in 5x5 leagues that use OBP instead of AVG. A 3B who provides plus power and contributes a significant amount of steals with an OBP that won't kill you is a rare find.

He's available in my league, too, in part due to our settings and only being able to make moves infrequently.  I wish I had grabbed him, but my roster makeup and positional requirements made it too risky.  Good for him, though.  I hope they find a permanent slot for him in the lineup when Beltre returns.  It's always great to see players overcome their weaknesses.  I'm an old-timer at this, and one of my favorite Rangers from fantasy seasons past was 3B Dean Palmer, who is somewhat similar.  Palmer was an all-or-nothing slugger who eventually put it all together and had a 15-year career and may have been an All-Star once or twice.  If Gallo could replicate that and get his average up to the .240-.250 range he'd be a success.

5 hours ago, 96GOAT said:

I hope that happens.  That would be huge for Gallo owners to have him OF eligible as well. 

Rua is hitting .138/.194/.138 in 29 at bats...Deshields .167/.210/.167 in 18 at bats...Profar .135/.289/.135 in 37 at bats...Gallo .224/.333/.612 in 67 at bats...Choo has 2 games in the outfield in 61 at bats and is looking like he'll be strictly a DH...I don't see any other option if Gallo keeps producing...

This much more eloquently talks about some of the things I was saying yesterday about the minor improvements we're seeing from Joey Gallo so far in 2017, and why I think he could very well earn a permanent spot in the lineup even when Beltre returns:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/approaching-the-joey-gallo-threshold/

as good as permanent for the next few weeks it would seem with Beltre turning into an old man...

1-for-2 with a double, 2 Runs scored, 2 BB, and a HBP. 

Average up to .232, and as many BBs as Ks (4) in his last 5 games. 

Rangers now admitting that Beltre is nowhere close to returning, and is still in "rehab mode." Apparently a return in the month of May is "murky".

http://m.rangers.mlb.com/news/article/226666060/adrian-beltres-calf-injury-progressing-slowly/?tcid=tw_share

If you're still looking for an excuse to pick up Gallo...

On 4/26/2017 at 8:51 AM, mjb03003 said:

Now the #19 ranked player overall in my Yahoo league that counts OPS. Safe to say he needs to be owned and started in all formats until he either 1) cools off or 2) loses playing time. 

Last 7 days: .318 avg., 1.468 OPS, 7 Runs, 5 HR, 7 RBI, 1 SB

My League Counts OPS too, he's ranked #34 bc my League ALSO Counts Hits, but he's been VERY Valuable with Matt Carpenter & Maikel Franco slumping outta the gate.... Plus (& MOST IMPORTANTLY!), its a Keeper League so he could Pay-off Huuuuuge!!!

How much better does he have to perform to move up the batting order? Hitting 8th today? SMH

He is 21st in my 5 X 5 league which only counts BA. Right now on ESPN's player rater he is a big contributor in runs, HR, RBIs, and stolen bases and only a minor drag (-0.32) in average at this point. 

13 minutes ago, Ace_King said:

He is 21st in my 5 X 5 league which only counts BA. Right now on ESPN's player rater he is a big contributor in runs, HR, RBIs, and stolen bases and only a minor drag (-0.32) in average at this point. 

Absolutely Raking, what's crazy is he's sporting a .361 OBP!!!  Don't think he keeps that up though, would be wild though