Pernil

Joey Gallo 2017 Outlook

Impressive homer last night against a lefty. He's putting up some pretty elite power numbers. He has maintained a high ranking in yahoo even with the low average for some time now.

8 minutes ago, bigbluecrew56 said:

Impressive homer last night against a lefty. He's putting up some pretty elite power numbers. He has maintained a high ranking in yahoo even with the low average for some time now.

He's devalued at #231 in my league that counts Ks and has several other individual counting stats.  Even with the low AVG and high Ks, his OBP is .300+ and the 14 HRs still provide solid value.  My other league is standard 5x5 scoring, but adds OBP, SLG, Triples, and takes away the Ks...he's sitting at #68 in that league.  Shows you the difference those K numbers make and how valuable he is without them.

36 minutes ago, Yceman1234 said:

He's devalued at #231 in my league that counts Ks and has several other individual counting stats.  Even with the low AVG and high Ks, his OBP is .300+ and the 14 HRs still provide solid value.  My other league is standard 5x5 scoring, but adds OBP, SLG, Triples, and takes away the Ks...he's sitting at #68 in that league.  Shows you the difference those K numbers make and how valuable he is without them.

He's ranked #45 in yahoo standard 5 x 5. That puts him among the elite third baseman.

Edited by bigbluecrew56

Ranked #41 in my 6x6 league that uses R, HR, RBI, NSB, AVG, OPS.

Ranked a disgusting 467 in my league that has standard cats minus ks but also counts singles, doubles, triples and obp. I want to add so badly but Gallo is simply a 3 cat guy that will hurt me in the other 7 cats pretty badly. 

Edited by chud12

Another homer. That average is hideous but his OBP is solid and up to 15 homers. Beltre back any day but surely they have to keep his bat in the lineup at another position. 

He had several weeks there where it was looking pretty ugly despite continuing the HRs, contact rates went back to his previous levels swinging through everything and it particularly seemed like he couldn't make contact with a change up.  Couldn't really blame BABIP for the average dropping even further when most of his in play outs were pop ups.

But he has looked better again the past week or so, noticeably more contact again, not chasing badly, faced quite a few lefties and had some solid at bats against them.  Obviously at this point people know what leagues can sustain someone hitting .198/.305/.528, but hopefully we are in for another relatively good stretch.

Will have to see how his playing time goes with Beltre back.  Problems and all he still leads the team in HR, R, RBI and fWAR. LF hasn't been as completely putrid as it was in April, but still not difficult to give him the regular role with maybe some extra off days vs lefties (though not much of a split at the moment) and occasional 1b time.  Especially until Gomez comes back.

Edited by WinterBall

The ball literally disappeared off his bat for his 16th HR...and with that, now officially over the Mendoza Line -- sitting pretty at .202 and climbing. 

With Beltre finally back, Gallo with be 3B/1B/OF in short order. Adding to his value. If he continues mixing in a couple doubles/base-hits with all these bombs, then he becomes a high valued fantasy asset. 

24 minutes ago, Spina said:

The ball literally disappeared off his bat for his 16th HR...and with that, now officially over the Mendoza Line -- sitting pretty at .202 and climbing. 

With Beltre finally back, Gallo with be 3B/1B/OF in short order. Adding to his value. If he continues mixing in a couple doubles/base-hits with all these bombs, then he becomes a high valued fantasy asset. 

he's pretty much Chris Davis lol...just sent a laser for a double off of the wall lol just missing his 2nd bomb of the night.

This guy is just sitting on the wire in my 12-teamer. Really considering grabbing him but don't know about that average.  What is a realistic line for him at end of season? 40hrs? 90-100rbis? 5-6 steals? Maybe a .215-.220 average?

Graphic on the broadcast tonight said 70% of his hits are extra base hits, Trout was 2nd in the league at like 56%.

3 minutes ago, HaloFanatic17 said:

This guy is just sitting on the wire in my 12-teamer. Really considering grabbing him but don't know about that average.  What is a realistic line for him at end of season? 40hrs? 90-100rbis? 5-6 steals? Maybe a .215-.220 average?

Sounds like Adam Dunn circa 2012: 41 HR, 96 RBI, AVG .202, K's 222

6 minutes ago, HaloFanatic17 said:

Yes. It's Adam Dunn at 3B. Set, forget and try to find as many .300 hitters to surround him as possible. 

He actually reminds me of Adam Dunn a lot. Just when you think he's absolutely terrible you look at his counting stats and it's surprising impressive. 

31 minutes ago, HaloFanatic17 said:

Grab him and don't look back. HR Machine.

34 minutes ago, ZChronicNebula said:

Total HR hit with an exit velocity of 116+ mph in MLB: 3

Joey Gallo, 2
Aaron Judge, 1

These two will be playing for a very long time and we'll all be privileged to see them.

Hit a foul ball completely out of the stadium, supposedly the first time that's happened in Arlington.  Eventually walked on 11 pitches in the AB to go with the earlier HR/2B, great night for him.

Faster get gets 1B eligibility the better with the dud of a season that Carlos Santana has put on so far for me and everyone else. 

Thought this was interesting...forget the average and strikeouts for just one moment...

...heading into tonight

Aaron Judge: 52/163 - 38R - 17 HRs - 35 RBIs

Mike Trout: 55/163 - 36R - 16 HRs - 36 RBIs

Joey Gallo: 34/166 - 34R - 16 HRs - 33 RBIs

With all the negatives, Gallo still produces the counting numbers at near top level (from the 7-hole) -- the average continues to slowly climb aswell....

Interesting info Spina!

His Yahoo note states he'll start playing some OF and needs 4 more starts I think to get 1B. For those who can tolerate the low AVG and high Ks, he seems like he could be a lot more valuable this year then some including myself thought. Be interesting to see how his numbers are with Beltre in the lineup and being slid around in the lineup and different positions.