exaulz

Chris Devenski 2017 Outlook

Devenski's usage is fascinating. He's like a starter: whereas the latter starts every five days, Devenski comes out of the bullpen to pitch multiple innings every couple days or so.

And I reckon it benefits the Astros in another way: It gives the rest of their pen, the traditional bridge to the closer, regular days of rest.

I own Luke Gregerson but when I see Devenski enter the game in the 6th or 7th, I say to myself, "Oh, must be a Devenski day".

I reckon a "Devenski" will be on many managers' wishlists in the future.

Edited by My Dinner With Andre

There sort of is. Win Probability Added (WPA) measures how much a pitchers actions contribute or deter from the teams odds of winning.

Fan graphs - WPA

Here is the RP WPA leaderboard now:

01. Greg Holland - 2.03

02. Wade Davis - 1.45

03. Andrew Miller - 1.40

04. Craig Kimbrell - 1.39

05. Ras Iglesias - 1.39

06. Cody Allen - 1.15

07. Addison Reed - 1.02

08. Brandon Kintzler - 1.01

09. Tony Watson - 1.00

10. Corey Knebal - 1.00

11. Chris Devenski - 1.00

7 minutes ago, warningtrackpower said:

There sort of is. Win Probability Added (WPA) measures how much a pitchers actions contribute or deter from the teams odds of winning.

Fan graphs - WPA

Here is the RP WPA leaderboard now:

01. Greg Holland - 2.03

02. Wade Davis - 1.45

03. Andrew Miller - 1.40

04. Craig Kimbrell - 1.39

05. Ras Iglesias - 1.39

06. Cody Allen - 1.15

07. Addison Reed - 1.02

08. Brandon Kintzler - 1.01

09. Tony Watson - 1.00

10. Corey Knebal - 1.00

11. Chris Devenski - 1.00

Makes sense as these are all closers or high leverage RPs ;-)

Edited by rrrich46

16 minutes ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

16 minutes ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

I reckon a "Devenski" will be on many managers' wishlists in the future.

He's out-Millering Miller-time!   He's MGD! 

Edited by rrrich46

I was good cause I was facing Gausman today, but another screw up like this is cut worthy 

Between him and Gausman today I pretty much already lost my roto league

2 minutes ago, urban2014 said:

I was good cause I was facing Gausman today, but another screw up like this is cut worthy 

Lol, no.

lol I love the over reactions here. Probably his worst game this season and against a red hot yankees lineup and in the Bronx. There's a reason you don't play pitchers at Coors or the joke of a Yankees stadium. He will be fine and good luck finding a SP/RP with K rates like his who can sprinkle in Wins and Saves.

36 minutes ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

That's gonna knock Devenski down a few pegs in the rankings, I reckon.

With a modest save and hold total he needed sterling ratios.

ERA's now 3.09...

Yep. In leagues that don't count holds he needs to have pristine ratios to justify holding. I'm not cutting him but there's a pretty reasonable argument to do so. 

Not worried,  so what he had a bad outing? Who cares THE WHOLE MLB is getting smacked around this year like i have never seen before.   Nobody is safe,  hide your kids.

Edited by Elviplatinum

3 hours ago, AnonymousRob said:

Yep. In leagues that don't count holds he needs to have pristine ratios to justify holding. I'm not cutting him but there's a pretty reasonable argument to do so. 

Whats the reasonable argument for dropping him?

3 minutes ago, exaulz said:

I think it's a pretty easy argument to make if his ratios aren't great. The whole reason to own him in a non-holds league is that he's helping your ratios. 

I know this is one blowup after many great outings, but if he has another one he's gotta be a cut for me. If he's not helping the ratios then he's less valuable than streaming a SP if you don't get holds from him. 

Really really tough crowd in here today.

I liked the "Why won't they let him be a starter?" convo more.

3 hours ago, HaloFanatic17 said:

lol I love the over reactions here. Probably his worst game this season and against a red hot yankees lineup and in the Bronx. There's a reason you don't play pitchers at Coors or the joke of a Yankees stadium. He will be fine and good luck finding a SP/RP with K rates like his who can sprinkle in Wins and Saves.

Check the record:  park factor Yankees home game puts them atop the league.  Arizona and Coors are the obvious answer but park factor in the Bronx is a clear #1.

I have my hands folded that my league-mate will trade him to me for a closer

i get being upset about your Ks-and-ratios guy giving up 3 earned on sunday. i'd never drop a unique guy like this off one game but i get it

i don't get the people being like "i need holds"... he got 2 holds this week and this was a third hold situation that he just blew. he's in a bit of a weird role but he does get holds - maybe not the #1 holds pace around, but if the "reliever with literally 2 less Ks than strasburg" factor doesn't make that up for you, ok, it's your team, but i don't really get it

did anyone watch and see what actually happened? it wasn't homers. one walk, hits to headley and carter... i'm reading on twitter that his location was bad 

35 minutes ago, exaulz said:

If you're in a league that doesn't count holds, what's a reasonable argument for holding him? 

It happens to every pitcher from time to time. He should still finish with an ERA in the 2's, a low WHIP and plenty of Ks.