exaulz

Chris Devenski 2017 Outlook

19 minutes ago, Jericho said:

Except that it's not true either. He's currently 7th in the majors in innings pitched by a reliever. He's running behind Yusmeiro Petit, Mike Montgomery, Randall Delgado, Ryan Tepera, Wade LeBlanc, and Carlos Torres. Also, as has been pointed out in this thread, he had two 4 inning appearances very early in the season (April 5 and April 9).  Even with those 8 innings, he's only 7th in relief innings. But if you picked him up after those outings (as many in this thread did), it means you've gotten 16 innings out of him over the last 40 days. Which is hardly earth shattering

Except it is true. Maybe, just maybe, the leader in relief innings pitched might just change temporarily on a regular basis when the guys at the top are separated by a single inning or even a single out. 

Yeah, for me unless they move him to either a starter or closer his stats since the first couple weeks are mostly replacable in my league (no points  for holds).

There has been a decrease in his usage. In April five of his seven appearances were for 2+ innings; thus far in May only one of his seven appearances has been (and that was barely so at 2.0 innings). Throwing out the two four inning extra innings appearances in the first week, he has 4, 4, 5, and 4 strikeout in 2+ inning appearances. We need the innings to amass the strikeouts. 

The good news? Looking at his 2016 game log there were similar periods where he was mainly being used for an inning or change followed by a return to multi-inning usage. He still is likely to finish among the leaders in IP among relievers. 

1 hour ago, disasterisk said:

Except it is true. Maybe, just maybe, the leader in relief innings pitched might just change temporarily on a regular basis when the guys at the top are separated by a single inning or even a single out. 

What are you spouting alternative facts? You've been proven 100% wrong on your claims, which I'll put here once more...

He regularly leads the league in most relief innings pitched by an RP eligible pitcher...

He is neither currently leading the league in most relief innings pitched, nor has he ever done so in any year he's played. Which is a little more than one year. So he's done nothing regularly, despite your claims. And now, despite ranking 7th in the category you claim he "regularly leads", you still want to double down and believe your claim because he might eventually become the leader? He currently ranks 7th, and he's actually closer to 35th (which is 3.2 innings behind him) than he is to first (which is 4 innings a head of him). So, by your logic, I could just as easily claims he's "regularly" 35th in innings pitched by relievers since he's actually closer to that then you claim.

Look, I live Devenski. I think he's a good pitcher. But there's no need to spread lies about him. This thread is supposed to help people and keep them informed. He's not some super human that simply racks up more relief innings than anyone else. He finished 3rd last year. He's currently 7th now. He likely will finish in the top 10 overall by relief pitched innings by year's end. Heck, it's even possible he actually does have the most innings by any reliever as you claim. But odds are against it.  And even if he did, it would be by small amounts. You can get similar amounts of innings from a number of relievers. Carlos Torres and Brad Hand being two good examples. Now, those innings probably won't be as good, depending on your league's settings. No one really can match his K-rate and number of innings combination outside of maybe Dellin Betances. So you can value that as you will. On the other hand, you can probably get 90% or more of Devesnki by rostering Brad Hand instead.

A lot of his usage may be dictated by the game situation. This is all based off my recollection, but I don't think there has been the opportunities to use him in extended relief appearances this week. Seems like Hinch likes him when it's tied or when they're up by a run or two later in the game. Hasn't been the case this week. Plus, Houston starters have been working longer.

I expect he'll be used more in the coming week as Keuchel will be missing his start.

in most leagues his elite K rate is enough to be rostered. I can understand some settings like points leagues he's just not nearly as valuable. it's as simple as that.

most leagues he is pretty valuable. not all leagues and not all posters have the same goals in mind 

4 hours ago, Jericho said:

What are you spouting alternative facts? You've been proven 100% wrong on your claims, which I'll put here once more...

He is neither currently leading the league in most relief innings pitched, nor has he ever done so in any year he's played. Which is a little more than one year. So he's done nothing regularly, despite your claims. And now, despite ranking 7th in the category you claim he "regularly leads", you still want to double down and believe your claim because he might eventually become the leader? He currently ranks 7th, and he's actually closer to 35th (which is 3.2 innings behind him) than he is to first (which is 4 innings a head of him). So, by your logic, I could just as easily claims he's "regularly" 35th in innings pitched by relievers since he's actually closer to that then you claim.

Look, I live Devenski. I think he's a good pitcher. But there's no need to spread lies about him. This thread is supposed to help people and keep them informed. He's not some super human that simply racks up more relief innings than anyone else. He finished 3rd last year. He's currently 7th now. He likely will finish in the top 10 overall by relief pitched innings by year's end. Heck, it's even possible he actually does have the most innings by any reliever as you claim. But odds are against it.  And even if he did, it would be by small amounts. You can get similar amounts of innings from a number of relievers. Carlos Torres and Brad Hand being two good examples. Now, those innings probably won't be as good, depending on your league's settings. No one really can match his K-rate and number of innings combination outside of maybe Dellin Betances. So you can value that as you will. On the other hand, you can probably get 90% or more of Devesnki by rostering Brad Hand instead.

Regularly led the league THIS YEAR. THIS YEAR. You are quoting his current innings pitched ranking as a constant when it isn't. This is the second time in two weeks someone in this thread is crying about him being underused. I don't have time to go over this a third time. Go be pedantic somewhere else. 

and he doesn't get used today in a game where the Astros were down early. I have had enough 

I'm in a roto league with a GS limit that also has IP as a category. He's absolute money there because he has SP eligibility and doesn't make starts. 

8 minutes ago, urban2014 said:

and he doesn't get used today in a game where the Astros were down early. I have had enough 

Why waste him in a game they're probably going to lose? They use him to prevent offense, not eat innings

They had used him for one inning this week. No good 

7 hours ago, Jericho said:

Except that it's not true either. He's currently 7th in the majors in innings pitched by a reliever. He's running behind Yusmeiro Petit, Mike Montgomery, Randall Delgado, Ryan Tepera, Wade LeBlanc, and Carlos Torres. Also, as has been pointed out in this thread, he had two 4 inning appearances very early in the season (April 5 and April 9).  Even with those 8 innings, he's only 7th in relief innings. But if you picked him up after those outings (as many in this thread did), it means you've gotten 16 innings out of him over the last 40 days. Which is hardly earth shattering

Every one of those pitchers pitched between 3 and 6 innings in the last 7 games. Might have something to do with why Devenski fell all the way down to 7th. Oh the humanity, he's completely unusuable now. He'll never lead the league in relief innings pitched now, he's too far back on the leaderboard. 

17 minutes ago, jseay65 said:

I don't understand why this thread is a thing. 

Yea who knows. I guess there are tons of rps with Chris's dazzling numbers this year.  You know 44ks in 24 innings, a .82 whip, with 2 wins, 2 saves and 4 holds.  Yea those are average numbers.  

Edited by chud12

4 hours ago, disasterisk said:

Regularly led the league THIS YEAR. THIS YEAR. You are quoting his current innings pitched ranking as a constant when it isn't. This is the second time in two weeks someone in this thread is crying about him being underused. I don't have time to go over this a third time. Go be pedantic somewhere else. 

So what, you're now claiming your statement that he "regularly leads the league in most relief innings pitched by an RP eligible pitcher..." was actually just a statement that he threw 8 innings of relief in the first week of the season and hence was the leader at that time?  Which has no specific relevance to anything, other than stating a fact that occurred.  It's about as useful as me claiming Mark Grudzielank regularly leads the league in home runs. Because, and this actually did happen, Grudzielank his 5 home runs in the first 7 games of the 2001 season. And, for a while, he lead the league

So yes, I will agree that at one point in time, Devenski was the league leader in relief innings. Using your same logic, we must also now admit that Fernando Rodney regularly leads the league in wins, Alex Colome regularly leads the league in saves, Madison Bumgarner regularly leads the league in home runs, and 

Aledmys Diaz regular leads the league in stolen bases. All of which have also been true for similarly small amounts of time this season. I'm sure everyone has found this information quite useful.

4 hours ago, disasterisk said:

Every one of those pitchers pitched between 3 and 6 innings in the last 7 games. Might have something to do with why Devenski fell all the way down to 7th. Oh the humanity, he's completely unusuable now. He'll never lead the league in relief innings pitched now, he's too far back on the leaderboard. 

Nice statement, but something I never said. Go find another straw man

Edited by Jericho

He cost me ERA by not pitching the entire week apart from one inning.  Sure he may pitch tomorrow or the day after but I am not really happy with what I am getting from him 

11 minutes ago, urban2014 said:

He cost me ERA by not pitching the entire week apart from one inning.  Sure he may pitch tomorrow or the day after but I am not really happy with what I am getting from him 

So drop him.

well-we-re-waiting-o.gif

I've moved on in my non-holds roto league. I've had him rostered since early April and I'm leading the K category by a healthy margin, which he's undoubtedly contributed to. He's definitely dropped off the last few weeks, and if for the rest of the season he ends up somewhere between the pitcher we saw at the beginning of the season and the pitcher we've seen over the last few weeks I'd would rather speculate on a closer-in-waiting. But this is completely league dependent, which is a point that has been made several times already. 

So since Devinski last pitched (on the 17th) the Astros have played 3 games and they lost all of them.  I don't understand the complaints here.  Do you Want your rp to come into games when the team is trailing?? It's pretty simple really, the lack of usage lately is because the team is losing. 

Edited by chud12

1 hour ago, chud12 said:

So since Devinski last pitched (on the 17th) the Astros have played 3 games and they lost all of them.  I don't understand the complaints here.  Do you Want your rp to come into games when the team is trailing?? It's pretty simple really, the lack of usage lately is because the team is losing. 

I dont think thats the only reason. We'll see but I think he's becoming more less an inning at a time guy used for holds situations. I think you get one or the other - short innings in the 7th or 8th to work in tie games or leads or stretched out whenever is required.  I mentioned Bradley, Nicasio and Minor going a similar route prior but Betances evolved in this way as well. A few years ago he was the multi inning guy that became too good for the role.

Edited by knuckleheads

12 hours ago, urban2014 said:

Do you think a streamer SP would have won you ERA? Not trying to be a smart-a**, nor do I care if you roster Devenski or not, but streaming is quite a crap shoot. Generally I stream for counting stats when I'm out of it for ERA and WHIP, because a streamer will bite you fairly often. 

Devenski also can help steal ERA in weeks he gets more IP. As someone else pointed out I think they are just saving his bullets for certain situations. If the starters are all going deeper into games there's not much chance for him to pitch multiple innings. 

I'd expect as the season wears on and SPs get hurt more that Devenski will end up in more tight games earlier and able to get more multiple IP outings. Just speculation though obviously. 

9 minutes ago, warningtrackpower said:

This is speculation on my part, but maybe Hinch was limiting his innings a bit due to a heavy workload in April?

Mostly likely this. Before he was on pace for more than 100 innings. That's a lot of a reliever. I have a hunch he will be deployed more often soon, not that it even matters, even if he only pitched 3 innings a week that is still very valuable.