exaulz

Chris Devenski 2017 Outlook

Thoughts on if he is available tonight? 26 pitches last night, but it seems they are really limiting his usage. Can't remember the last

time or if he has even pitched in back to back yet this year. Before last night, Devo hadn't been on the mound since last Wednesday. I'm thinking he should still be available...your guys' thoughts?

14 minutes ago, Unoslacker said:

Thoughts on if he is available tonight? 26 pitches last night, but it seems they are really limiting his usage. Can't remember the last

time or if he has even pitched in back to back yet this year. Before last night, Devo hadn't been on the mound since last Wednesday. I'm thinking he should still be available...your guys' thoughts?

No

20 minutes ago, Unoslacker said:

I guess if the other 24 excellent relief pitchers on Houston's roster are used first they'd give him a shot at an inning,but they wouldn't have him go 2 or 3.

Edited by the real donny baseball

28 minutes ago, Unoslacker said:

negative

Anyone else dropping him? 

I am holding him for now since I don't see a RP better than him on the waiver wire and he has the talent to turn it around after several rough outings of late. 

6 minutes ago, Ace_King said:

I am holding him for now since I don't see a RP better than him on the waiver wire and he has the talent to turn it around after several rough outings of late. 

I have had him all year and hes clearly slumping right now. Just have 2 hope he bounces back.. I will not drop..

Edited by chud12

19 minutes ago, Ace_King said:

I'm holding. One unlucky outing changes nothing. We were all happy when he pitched 2 scoreless innings the other day and got a win, right? 

He still leads ALL MLB PITCHERS (Min 20 IP) in K%-BB%, one of the best predictors for success. 38.6%. Next closest is Chris Sale at 33.3%. Andrew Miller is next at 30.6%

If I change the threshold to 10 IP, he is in 4th behind Kimbrel, Jansen and Tommy Kahnle. Pretty Good company. On another note, it also tells you how good Kahnle has been. Kahnle who?

Edited by lassetjus

You can bring up all the fancy stats you want, all I care about is his performance, and he simply isn't worth a roster spot unless you are in a holds league. The blow ups are killing my ratios

23 minutes ago, urban2014 said:

You can bring up all the fancy stats you want, all I care about is his performance, and he simply isn't worth a roster spot unless you are in a holds league. The blow ups are killing my ratios

Yeah strikeouts minus walks are a real fancy stat.  No one was complaining when he got the win the other days with 2 scoreless innings. He wasn't going to go the whole season without giving up a run. Unrealistic expectations here.

He has been more human of late. Even with the 2 inning win the other night. 

It would take a pretty good option for me to move on from him, but hes much less untouchable now than he was 2 weeks ago. 

29 minutes ago, treat88 said:

He has been more human of late. Even with the 2 inning win the other night. 

It would take a pretty good option for me to move on from him, but hes much less untouchable now than he was 2 weeks ago. 

Rotoworld Blurb:

We don't see why the Astros are risking running Devenski into the ground when they're sporting baseball's record. Devenski had just pitched 2 2/3 innings on Monday, so he was working on one day of rest tonight. He entered the game at 27 innings pitches this season. The next highest total of any Astros reliever was 19 2/3 innings for Will Harris.

Maybe they have a point for once. He pitched a lot on Monday. Then back out there Wednesday.

2 hours ago, urban2014 said:

Fancy stats like, you know, strikeouts and walks. As in, the very basis of the game. So fancy.

I find it hard to believe people are really dense enough to think strikeouts and walks are fancy stats while "earned run average", which attempts to distill how many runs would have scored if not for errors, is a basic stat.

2 hours ago, lassetjus said:

Yeah strikeouts minus walks are a real fancy stat.  No one was complaining when he got the win the other days with 2 scoreless innings. He wasn't going to go the whole season without giving up a run. Unrealistic expectations here.

1 hour ago, Louiezo6 said:

I'm not dropping, he's still one of the top rp...can't expect a 0.00 era the whole season 

my dudes... i'm pro-devenski, but, we've reached a point now where i kind of understand where people are coming from with some of the ERA complaints. nobody thinks he's gonna have a flat zero ERA, but, these were not the first runs he's given up

i play in a weekly league and i'm looking at the weekly log here... this is week 8, i've had devenski in my lineup all 8 weeks... and he's put up a zero ERA... twice. both in weeks where he pitched exactly one inning all week. those were week 2 and last week. every other week, he's given up runs

not a LOT of runs usually. like, week 1 was the famous week he gave up 1 run in 8 innings with 14 Ks. man that was awesome

but, still. overall, the "runs" act is getting a leetle tired for a guy who's supposed to be so special

and i DO think he's special! i still think he's a rare breed of reliever who has the potential to be a difference maker in most leagues.

but he's gotta actually get it done pretty consistently to really keep that sparkle as a non-closing reliever

I wouldn't blame anyone for bailing but the smart money is to hold.  Predictive stats all point to a phenomenal season and he should still post numbers better than most starters on the end if he can indeed keep it up.  

I'm not dropping.

I will say that he was a bit at the mercy of the batted ball last night. Bergman couldn't handle a hard hit ball by Iglesias which resulted in a double. Then Kinsler had a soft single right up the middle and was able to advance to second on the throw home. That made it 2nd and 3rd with no outs.

He got a ground out from Avila with the infield in that Altuve/Gurriel fumbled around with. A few feet to to left or right and Iglesias doesn't score. 

So a bit of tough luck with where the balls were hit and the defensive positioning.

Still, it was weird to see him pitch without any strikeouts.

44 minutes ago, warningtrackpower said:

I'm not dropping.

I will say that he was a bit at the mercy of the batted ball last night. Bergman couldn't handle a hard hit ball by Iglesias which resulted in a double. Then Kinsler had a soft single right up the middle and was able to advance to second on the throw home. That made it 2nd and 3rd with no outs.

He got a ground out from Avila with the infield in that Altuve/Gurriel fumbled around with. A few feet to to left or right and Iglesias doesn't score. 

So a bit of tough luck with where the balls were hit and the defensive positioning.

Still, it was weird to see him pitch without any strikeouts.

It seems to me for he or any other non closer reliever to hold a lot of value they need to (a) pitch a lot of innings (70+), (b) keep his whip (1.00 or less) and era (2.50 or less) low,  (c) 10+ k/9 (d) be in a position to scoop up some wins. 

In holds leagues he has more potential value but I could see him being dropped (and rightly so) if he is all of a sudden giving up 3 and a half runs per game. His value is tied into extreme dominance.

use your brain, he has blown up twice in the last 3 appearances. his ERA is only decent due to that great start. 

For the last 14 days Devinski has 6.43 era and a 1.48 whip.. He has given up 1/2 of the runs hes given up all season in that span.. Like I said he is clearly struggling right now but I mean come on he was amazing last season and his numbers this year besides era are all near the top regarding rp's.. He is an easy hold, right the ship people..

Edited by chud12

16 minutes ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

ERA is BS. Completely useless.

Devenski is ranked 90th in ERA among qualified relievers.

I put ERA quite low on the things I look for in evaluating a pitcher as well but it is a category in 95% of fantasy leagues. And this is one of the things that has been appealing about him. ERA, WHIP and Ks is what he is only about in standard leagues. So if he doesn't have elite numbers in all those categories then exactly what are we holding for?

Edited by knuckleheads

5 minutes ago, knuckleheads said:

I put ERA quite low on the things I look for in evaluating a pitcher as well but it is a category in 95% of fantasy leagues. And this is one of the things that has been appealing about him. ERA, WHIP and Ks is what he is only about in standard leagues. So if he doesn't have elite numbers in all categories exactly what are we holding for?

Um, 3 wins, 2 saves, 4 holds, 46 k's in 28 inngs and a 0.82 whip.. Maybe those are good reasons??