Palmetto08

Zack Cozart 2017 Outlook

Don't see a Cozart thread.  He's been off the last few days with a sore wrist but should be back in action tonight. 

Only owned by 10% in Yahoo but putting up some great numbers to start the season.  With Segura on the DL, I picked up Cozart hoping he can continue his hot start.

Thoughts?

Is this guy for real right now . Hitting I think .485. I know that will come down considerably but he is hitting well . I currently have Simmons as my SS because I punted on SS . Strongly considering picking him up . 

Also picked him up as a temporary Segura replacement, but I won't be able to drop him until he cools down a lot. 

Would be nice if they moved him up to the top of the lineup to make use of this outburst a little more. 

19 minutes ago, handyandy86 said:

Also picked him up as a temporary Segura replacement, but I won't be able to drop him until he cools down a lot. 

Would be nice if they moved him up to the top of the lineup to make use of this outburst a little more. 

I agree with the lineup move . 

On 4/24/2017 at 9:53 PM, TomBradysCollegeRoommate said:

No love for this guy? A triple and 2 walks tonight, been hitting great so far, all he seems to do is hit or get on base

With nobody on base and then he gets stranded.

Until now.Batting 2nd between Hamilton and Votto.Bring me the head of all counting stats.

1 hour ago, the real donny baseball said:

Is he going to play?Is he even alive? Do they know there are fans?I HATE the Reds,one of the true toilet franchises in all sports.

He has a wrist issue

This kid has been a really valuable MI option in especially OBP leagues this year. Batting .339/.431/.583/1.014!

That is one heck of a stat line. Mainly achieved due to a load of singles,doubles and some triples. But batting in front of Votto/Duvall/Eugenio should mean he scores a lot of runs this season.

From looking under the hood, his O-Swing is down 3%, Z-Swing down %5 (which seems suprising), O-Contact up %10, and Z-Contact up 2%. Very good signs overall, he seems to be becoming more patient and making more contact. Plenty of time for him to go on a power surge in that home bandbox, I really think he's become relevant in all leagues now. The sky high BABIP (.400) will fall, but he is clearly an improved hitter this year.

And the power surge may be coming now...2 bombs in 2 nights. Could be a very sneaky top 12 SS this year. Definately worth using at MI in 12 teamers and above.

What's up with this guy? Top 10 in the league in OPS? Learned to hit in his contract year -- how convenient.

Cozart's gonna make a lot of money this offseason if he keeps it up

Edited by My Dinner With Andre

10 hours ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

What's up with this guy? Top 10 in the league in OPS? Learned to hit in his contract year -- how convenient.

Cozart's gonna make a lot of money this offseason if he keeps it up

This is pretty much the ideal situation for the Reds as well. There's sure to be a playoff contender in need of SS help willing to pay up if Zack keeps on hitting like an all star on top of his always exemplary fielding.

He was mentioned in a podcast I was listening to as a guy who changed his swing 

hes been doing this for 2 months now.  Have to think he's somewhat legit 

Legit...He learned from Uncle Joey

Well his BABIP is still .408, obviously unsustainably high, and his batted ball profile is very similar to last season when he hit .255. 

On the plus side his BB% is up, so maybe he is being more selective and getting better pitches to hit.

I own him in a couple leagues and I'm hoping for the best, but we know he's going to cool down somewhat, it's just a matter of how much. I'll ride the hot hand as long as I can, but I also won't be shocked if there's an cold stretch coming too. 

Looks like some people are in agreement with me that he's actually good now. Been a stud so far this year, OPSing around 1.000.

Might be one of those players whose D keeps him in the lineup and he learns how to hit over time (Gregorius, Forsythe etc).

8 minutes ago, swfcdan said:

Looks like some people are in agreement with me that he's actually good now. Been a stud so far this year, OPSing around 1.000.

Might be one of those players whose D keeps him in the lineup and he learns how to hit over time (Gregorius, Forsythe etc).

Yes. I picked up Cozart and Owings early on and they've been awesome value for practically nothing.

Only worry with Cozart is that he gets dealt to a bad situation, sapping his value. Apparently he's high on the Reds' trade list.

Edited by El Guapo

Another bomb for Cozart. Now slashing .337/.424/.590/1.014 with 8 homers, 30 RBI.

and Not fantasy related, but he's been so good this year he's 2nd in all of NL in WAR, behind only Nolan Arenado.