Lord_Varys

2017 General Draft Strategies

So I've been playing around a LOT with the 11-12 spot over the past couple of weeks and here's what I concluded. Initially I thought it was safe to go WR-RB-RB-RB-whole-buncha-mid-round-WRs in order to get 3 solid RBs before the 'cliff'. However, in the last week or so I found that the chance for 2 RBs of the Cook/Hyde/Lynch tier making it to the 3/4 turn is becoming more and more unlikely (mainly due to that tier moving up in ADP), and what's worse if no one of that tier makes it you risk getting stuck with only 1 solid RB before the 'cliff'. This usually causes people to reach for a questionable RB (Mixon/Ingram types) at the 3/4 turn in fear of having to wait till the end of the 5th to grab their RB2. Therefore I've been experimenting with going RB-RB first 2 rounds and I haveta say I like how my team ends up looking a lot more. So the idea is going RB-RB-RB-WR-whole-buncha-mid-round-WRs, so your options would look something like this:

2 RBs from the Ajayi/Howard/Gordon/Gurley/Zeke(for the yolo folks) tier ( Basically 2 RB1s with arguably top 3 potential).

1 RB from the Cook/Lynch/Hyde tier

1 WR from the Keenan/Alshon/Hill/Robinson (If you're lucky Hopkins/Pryor might slip to you here)

Stack 2-3 WRs from the mid-tier guys, insanely deep and you'll ALWAYS have someone of value fall to the 7/8 turn, just too many options for that not to happen.

Of course not every draft plays out as planned, for example in one of my drafts I followed this strategy and none of the Cook/Lynch/Hyde tier made it to the 3/4 turn, so I took 2 WRs from the Keenan/Alshon/Hill/Allen tier and then grabbed Doug Martin in the 5/6 turn ( another option if RBs dry out at 3/4 is to go WR/Olsen or WR/elite QB but I recommend waiting on TE/QB).

As far as TEs go I've been consistently been able to get Ertz/Bennett at the 7/8 turn, and if I miss that cliff I just wait and grab Hooper late. For QBs I never take one before the 9/10 turn where I usually get Prescott/Ben/Carr. At first I didn't like passing up on the Michael Thomas/Jordy type WR1 by going RB/RB but once the draft is done and I see how deep my WR core is coupled with 2 solid RB1s, I feel like I have a team with higher potential. I always try to mix up my WRs between safe floor guys and high upside guys. Here's the latest team I drafted:

QB: Big Ben

RB: Ajayi/Gurley/Doug Martin/Jeremy Hill/Jamaal Williams
WR: A.Jeffrey/G.Tate/T. Hill/Diggs/Golladay

TE: Bennett

Even if you don't like some of those guys you can get an idea how your team would look like with this strategy based on the tiers.

Good drafting...

14 hours ago, Mr.E said:

So I've been playing around a LOT with the 11-12 spot over the past couple of weeks and here's what I concluded. Initially I thought it was safe to go WR-RB-RB-RB-whole-buncha-mid-round-WRs in order to get 3 solid RBs before the 'cliff'. However, in the last week or so I found that the chance for 2 RBs of the Cook/Hyde/Lynch tier making it to the 3/4 turn is becoming more and more unlikely (mainly due to that tier moving up in ADP), and what's worse if no one of that tier makes it you risk getting stuck with only 1 solid RB before the 'cliff'. This usually causes people to reach for a questionable RB (Mixon/Ingram types) at the 3/4 turn in fear of having to wait till the end of the 5th to grab their RB2. Therefore I've been experimenting with going RB-RB first 2 rounds and I haveta say I like how my team ends up looking a lot more. So the idea is going RB-RB-RB-WR-whole-buncha-mid-round-WRs, so your options would look something like this:

2 RBs from the Ajayi/Howard/Gordon/Gurley/Zeke(for the yolo folks) tier ( Basically 2 RB1s with arguably top 3 potential).

1 WR from the Keenan/Alshon/Hill/Robinson (If you're lucky Hopkins/Pryor might slip to you here)

Stack 2-3 WRs from the mid-tier guys, insanely deep and you'll ALWAYS have someone of value fall to the 7/8 turn, just too many options for that not to happen.

Of course not every draft plays out as planned, for example in one of my drafts I followed this strategy and none of the Cook/Lynch/Hyde tier made it to the 3/4 turn, so I took 2 WRs from the Keenan/Alshon/Hill/Allen tier and then grabbed Doug Martin in the 5/6 turn ( another option if RBs dry out at 3/4 is to go WR/Olsen or WR/elite QB but I recommend waiting on TE/QB).

As far as TEs go I've been consistently been able to get Ertz/Bennett at the 7/8 turn, and if I miss that cliff I just wait and grab Hooper late. For QBs I never take one before the 9/10 turn where I usually get Prescott/Ben/Carr. At first I didn't like passing up on the Michael Thomas/Jordy type WR1 by going RB/RB but once the draft is done and I see how deep my WR core is coupled with 2 solid RB1s, I feel like I have a team with higher potential. I always try to mix up my WRs between safe floor guys and high upside guys. Here's the latest team I drafted:

Even if you don't like some of those guys you can get an idea how your team would look like with this strategy based on the tiers.

Good drafting...

I think you will find that by going RB/RB you will be shocked to see the quality of WR available in round 4. 

Edited by phatrat
CSB removed

On 8/25/2017 at 7:48 PM, Tenner said:

People with picks 5 through 7 please chime in. 

What is your plan to get a RB1 within the first 3 rounds? Are you guys hoping one slips to 18-20 in the 2nd round? I just don't see many options. 

i'm scratching my head over this. , it was way more simple before OBJ got hurt.  I'm hoping Julio slips to me (#5 in a 1/2 ppr), but if not, then i'll either draft Freeman or AJ Green.  Coming back, if gurley isn't there, i might have to go 2 WR if I draft Freeman as I don't like the tier of Crowell, Fornette, Lynch, Miller, and would rather take a chance with a couple of back-end RB2's with upside.   

Edited by nk3323

On 8/25/2017 at 10:37 AM, Red Sox Nation said:

I'm going wr in the 1st, rb in the 2nd, another rb in the 3rd or 4th, then at least one in 6/7. While you're likely stuck with Gurley as your rb1, there's a lot of solid upside guys (Cook, Ware, the other rookies, some ppr backs) in the 3/4 range and if you can snag Doug Martin (or as a back-up Abdullah) in round 6, you'll have a 3rd solid rb. Then, I'm looking at McFadden round 7 as well, to give me another solid rb for half the year.

So then you're maybe looking at Gurley, Cook, Martin, McFadden as your guys. I guess everyone has their own thoughts, but something like that is more than good enough for me. Potentially 3 top 15 rb's there, plus half a season of maybe a 4th. 

are you in a PPR? I'm not so agreeing more with RB, RB, WR, RB. After rd 4 all bets are off and fill holes with best available. If you've been in a league for a few years with same guys you have a pretty good feeling how first few rds will play out, give or take

On 8/24/2017 at 1:42 PM, FreakFries said:

Are you in standard or ppr? My $$ league is standard and this is pretty much how I feel about the end of the 2nd and 3rd round.

I've noticed that as well, alot of names in that 25-60 range that I have absolutely no interest in. Would rather (big reach) reach for D Parker or Bryant than own ARob or Sanders. 

50 minutes ago, GueroG said:

I've noticed that as well, alot of names in that 25-60 range that I have absolutely no interest in. Would rather (big reach) reach for D Parker or Bryant than own ARob or Sanders. 

This is the problem though, as much as I like D Parker and M Bryant, taking them in the 3rd is just way to high a price. I would touch A Rob with a 6th foot draft pick. Tough year. 

i have the 2nd pick in a 12 team ppr draft, so i’ll be getting either dj or bell w my first pick, what are your thoughts on getting gronk (if he’s still there) + a wr1 when it comes back around? or would you recommend going rb/wr or wr/wr at the turn? 

17 hours ago, Mr.E said:

Good drafting...

I've been leaning towards RB/RB from the 11/12 spot in 0.5 PPR but with the Ware injury being season ending now I'm warming up to the idea of taking a Jordy/Thomas/Green WR and RB from the Ajayi/Howard/Murray/Zeke group with my first two picks and then going Hunt in the third.

I wasn't super high on most of the 3rd/4th round RBs before this so the Ware injury opens some doors to play around with.

Edited by Edgeraid

I really want one of Freeman/Ajayi, Dalvin Cook, and one of Marshawn/Crowell for my 12 team standard auction. I think I could work the WR/QB/TE values with the 75-80 or so i'd have left.

Edited by Corey In Da House

8 hours ago, FreakFries said:

This is the problem though, as much as I like D Parker and M Bryant, taking them in the 3rd is just way to high a price. I would touch A Rob with a 6th foot draft pick. Tough year. 

3rd is likely too early for them, but you also have to set up your own draft board and get the guys you want. Just because A-Rob has an ADP in the 3rd or 4th and the "experts" say that's where he should go, doesn't mean it's a good idea. 

FWIW I think Bryant can be had early-mid 4th even if you're trying to make sure you get him, and Parker early 5th. If you believe in them then use the picks you need to get them. I'd much rather lose my season being wrong on my own picks than being wrong on the experts' picks. 

59 minutes ago, handyandy86 said:

I'd much rather lose my season being wrong on my own picks than being wrong on the experts' picks. 

Plus it makes watching football more fun watching the guys you want to watch. Nothing like picking a player you really didn't want (whether because of ADP or because of what experts say) and miss out on the player(s) that you really wanted only to see them blow up during the season. In the end, best to go with your own gut and live by your calls. That is what makes FF so much fun.

Paired up Brady with Gronk in a draft today.  Not something I normally do, stack a WR/QB, but I didn't like what was available in the 3rd round, so went with Brady and hoping for Gronk leading the league in TD's this year.

have the 9th pick in 12 team standard redraft league....thinking about going wr/rb, but would like to hear anyones input that supports or is different than this

1 minute ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

have the 9th pick in 12 team standard redraft league....thinking about going wr/rb, but would like to hear anyones input that supports or is different than this

At 9 and 16...you should have either a Gurley, Murray, Ajayi, or Howard at 16. If not, you could be in the RB dead zone that exists from that tier until the next one. 

14 minutes ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

3 wideout league 

i think this is the first time in my fantasy career that i might have to go WR in the 1st round, and maybe even WR in the 2nd.    sucks, but that's just the way it is this year, but there's too much WR value in the 4th-6th rounds though.   

Edited by nk3323

I've been playing with alot of Mocks as well. IN my $ League, I have pick 12 in 12 team leage, 1PPR. I have D. Johnson as a "keeper" locked in at Pick 12, rd. 1

So basically, I'm mocking from rd 2 onward. Most mocks I'm finding my options are likely M. Thomas, J. Nelson or D. Murray. 

I've also toyed with the idea of grabbing Gronk at pick 13 in hopes of having top RB1 and top TE (D. Johnson and Gronk)

Many ideas I've floated around, because I dont pick again till the end of 3/4th rd turn so I know I gotta hit my 2nd rd pick a home run.

Thoughts?

What's people's thoughts of drafting at the 5 spot now that ODB is hurt? You still taking him or going for the McCoy and AJ Green group? Leaning towards going a RB now since the injury as the RBs coming back in round 2 are meh. 

32 minutes ago, Saltyseabass said:

What's people's thoughts of drafting at the 5 spot now that ODB is hurt? You still taking him or going for the McCoy and AJ Green group? Leaning towards going a RB now since the injury as the RBs coming back in round 2 are meh. 

I think OBJ is still the smartest pick.  He offers the best upside and starts slow anyways.

For RB, I'd go Ajai then Gordon.  

I drafted 6th in a 12 tm, start 3wr ppr. Started wr-wr (I planned on wr-rb, but 9 rb's went first 18 picks) but still ended up with a solid rb group. I screwed up taking Abdullah over Martin in the 6th, but in general I think I see better mid-round rb's than most. To each his own, but if you're ok with one of the rookies, plus some of the upside guys avail in the 5th-7th range, you can still have a solid group. Also, for anyone not going rb heavy early, I HIGHLY recommend grabbing McFadden round 7/8. He's the very likely starter for at least 4 weeks, maybe 6 (pending suspension), and can be an every-week rb2 that buys you time while you search for another rb. 

I've always viewed rb as the easiest position to get big in-season upgrades too, which is why over the past few years I tend to grab one rb early, then 3 dart throws in the rounds 4-8 area.