Rotoworld.com Forums

Eugenio Suarez 2017 Outlook

How is there no thread on this guy? Went into tonight hitting .375 with 2 homers and just notched another 3 hits and 3RBI. 3B eligible and only owned in 36% of ESPN leagues. Last year in a full season he Struck Out like a madman, 155 times. But did hit 21 HR and knocked in 70 RBI. I think he's worth a shot considering he's only 25 years old.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like this kid a lot despite the strikeouts. For leagues that count that category he loses some value for sure but a guy who should hit 20-25 HR and steal 10-12 bases at 3B is very valuable. I know it's a small sample size but I've been impressed with his discipline thus far. 5 walks and only 4 Ks this year with an OBP of .500. Obviously that pace will not continue but I'm encouraged that he's made an effort to improve that facet of his game. 

Same 'ol song and dance. Hot as a firecracker and we talk about the tools and bit of speed, then POOF, he hits .120 for 6 weeks and his page has zero comments.

Good player, has inconsistencies to take care of to get him to the level he needs to be in

The league I had him last year is about 350 rostered players, and in a league of that depth, Suarez with his big long droughts is very easy to manage. He goes cold? Bench him until it's over. He gets hot? Start him and ride him. That is so much better than a guy with equivalent numbers who produces more evenly. I love this kid, he's another one whose price tag remains low and is easy to deploy.

I don't understand the constant negativity on this board.  Why can't some of you just enjoy the ride and take what Eugenio is giving owners NOW. 

Like Rando said, if he goes cold, just bench him

Edited by Palmetto08

he was actually much more consistent and got on base at a pretty good clip in the second half last year, but it was a quiet consistency with very little power

if he's able to maintain that adjustment and then bring some homers back it could be good. but it's hard for all of us 2016 suarez thread veterans to trust a big first week from him. so, we'll see

@wily mo - Thanks.  Yea, a tale of 2 half's.

1st half - .233 avg, .301 OBP, 14 HR and 6 SB

2nd half - .264 avg, .334 OBP, 7 HR and 5 SB

At only 25 years old, could be making the adjustments to be a decent hitter .250-.270?  And seems to have a decent knack for taking walks.  Like what I'm seeing with the power and some speed.  Could this be someone who's breaking out?  Had issues vs RH's last year, but improved in the 2nd half.  So far this year has 24 AB's vs RH pitching and doing great.  I think I might be buying.

3 hours ago, svdude said:

Did he change his swing or decide on a new approach?  His low K rate so far is encouraging and just curious if anyone thinks it's real or not?

Looks to me like he changed his stance slightly. He used to be a little more open and away from home plate with his front leg, and now he's pretty straight up. Haven't looked up his coverage on the outer half from last year, but I would imagine this helps with that. If he gains on the k rate he could be quite a good pickup. 

2 hours ago, Jyeatbvg said:

Itshappening.gif

congrats everyone who was savvy enough to pick him up

Meh.

We saw this last year.  Show me some consistency and not just a hot streak and then congratulations are in order.

1 hour ago, The Dirtdog said:

Meh.

We saw this last year.  Show me some consistency and not just a hot streak and then congratulations are in order.

I think the odds of him hitting .375 for the year are about as good as him going 1-49 again. It's if he can sustain gains he has shown previously in the minors in regards to bb:k rate and contact. He's also shown babips around .340ish in the minors, so I think his success is sustainable, just not this hot streak. 

1 minute ago, HalfManHalfAmazing said:

is he getting any multi position eligibilities anytime soon?

only 3B on yahoo

Unlikely.  I think he played a couple games at SS last year, but that was when Cozart was out.  He seems entrenched at 3B.

Just now, bigbluecrew56 said:

No. He's locked in on third base. 

Yep and that's going to be a liability sooner or later. I grabbed him to fill in for a certain 1st round DL 3B and just hope and pray he can be passable for at least a couple weeks. IF this is just a streak and not a breakout he is only viable as a 2B/SS imo considering his entire profile. 

What gives me hope is his youth - maybe he can break out for real. I personally doubt it.

Just now, SuperJoint said:

Yep and that's going to be a liability sooner or later. I grabbed him to fill in for a certain 1st round DL 3B and just hope and pray he can be passable for at least a couple weeks. IF this is just a streak and not a breakout he is only viable as a 2B/SS imo considering his entire profile. 

What gives me hope is his youth - maybe he can break out for real. I personally doubt it.

Putting a possible 20/10 corner infielder into your lineup should be viewed as an asset. Not many corner infielders getting you steals these days that can bring 20 homer pop. I suffered with Suarez last year as many did but I still view him as a .280 bat. He changed his batting stance this year and he's looking good so it's hard not to buy in to see what happens. 

i'm a little bit bitter on a personal level because i traded him over the winter in my main league, but objectively, i think this may be somewhat for real. based on what i said upthread - he settled down a lot in the second half last year in terms of controlling the strike zone, now it looks like he's bringing the power back. it makes sense. 

not top-10-player for real, obviously. but, good-player for real

1 minute ago, bigbluecrew56 said:

Putting a possible 20/10 corner infielder into your lineup should be viewed as an asset. Not many corner infielders getting you steals these days that can bring 20 homer pop. I suffered with Suarez last year as many did but I still view him as a .280 bat. He changed his batting stance this year and he's looking good so it's hard not to buy in to see what happens. 

I'll drink to that - his youth opens the door to a turn of the corner no question.

I'm just enjoying this ride while it lasts. I'm still a bit skeptical though. I remember him falling off the face of the face of the earth after last years hot April streak. 

1 minute ago, Cdub2k said:

I'm just enjoying this ride while it lasts. I'm still a bit skeptical though. I remember him falling off the face of the face of the earth after last years hot April streak. 

I do too. Had him on the watch list - removed from the watch list. Dude's a flyer - no more. Enjoy while it lasts and who knows at age 25.