Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

auri

Fantasy Strategy Thread

As long as league rules permit, in a points league does this not seem like a better option?  I'm sure the same could be said for other positions but if you can get 5 pts of a streaming pitcher daily, why not!?

Am I nuts?

The only strategy I’m trying to keep in mind this year is BPA. 

Every year after the draft I notice that I didn’t have to shoehorn/reach for that 3B pick just because I didn’t have one yet and if I would’ve waited I would’ve been better off (for example). 

So positions be damned I’m going BPA and I’ll figure it all out later

Just curious how many of you use the strategy of playing without a Catcher? I mean, one could make the argument that after the first 4 or 5 catchers off the board they will hurt you a lot more than help you.

1 hour ago, lavaman said:

Just curious how many of you use the strategy of playing without a Catcher? I mean, one could make the argument that after the first 4 or 5 catchers off the board they will hurt you a lot more than help you.

I regularly punt catcher in H2H. I do target certain players but refuse to overpay, so frequently I'm left with trash C's to draft after round 13 or so.  Minor quibble - I might stretch the bolded part of what you said to "6 to 7", but otherwise agree.

I keep track of the catchers on my watch list - all of whom are in the minors - as well as younger prospects that actually have ABs. I'll make a move on one of these guys if it looks like they're putting together a hot streak and I have a move available to do so. But I'm perfectly comfortable going long stretches without a C. 

Disclaimer - I do this in H2H leagues only. In a roto I will make sure I get a catcher that has at least 400 ABs, serviceable numbers, and will overdraft such if necessary. In a 12-team roto you can find at least net-benefit vs a taking a 0 at the position imo.

21 minutes ago, SuperJoint said:

I regularly punt catcher in H2H. I do target certain players but refuse to overpay, so frequently I'm left with trash C's to draft after round 13 or so.  Minor quibble - I might stretch the bolded part of what you said to "6 to 7", but otherwise agree.

I keep track of the catchers on my watch list - all of whom are in the minors - as well as younger prospects that actually have ABs. I'll make a move on one of these guys if it looks like they're putting together a hot streak and I have a move available to do so. But I'm perfectly comfortable going long stretches without a C. 

Disclaimer - I do this in H2H leagues only. In a roto I will make sure I get a catcher that has at least 400 ABs, serviceable numbers, and will overdraft such if necessary. In a 12-team roto you can find at least net-benefit vs a taking a 0 at the position imo.

I’m having a hard time understanding the benefits of this, even in H2H. 

Say your average catcher gets about 20 ABs/week (5 games, back end of lineup). Going 6/20 would be a .300 catcher, 5/20 a .250 catcher, & 4/20 a .200 catcher. 

You’re telling me the 1-2 hits per week you miss out on isn’t worth the stray RBI, runs, or HRs you net? 

3 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

I’m having a hard time understanding the benefits of this, even in H2H. 

Say your average catcher gets about 20 ABs/week (5 games, back end of lineup). Going 6/20 would be a .300 catcher, 5/20 a .250 catcher, & 4/20 a .200 catcher. 

You’re telling me the 1-2 hits per week you miss out on isn’t worth the stray RBI, runs, or HRs you net? 

I didn't want to get too deep into specific league rules but offensive K's is a category. Avg line of most part time catchers in a given day: 0-4 3Ks.

Streaming is useless because you'll just continue to accrue every unproven catcher's 0-4 3Ks each time.

4 minutes ago, SuperJoint said:

I didn't want to get too deep into specific league rules but offensive K's is a category. Avg line of most part time catchers in a given day: 0-4 3Ks.

Streaming is useless because you'll just continue to accrue every unproven catcher's 0-4 3Ks each time.

Fair. I guess for readers that would be an important component. Most standard 5 x 5 I’d say this isn’t a great strategy. 

2 hours ago, lavaman said:

Every LM should make everybody in his league roster a catcher... if you don’t want to start him that is fine but you need to own a catcher. 

35 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

Every LM should make everybody in his league roster a catcher... if you don’t want to start him that is fine but you need to own a catcher. 

i agree. 

3 hours ago, lavaman said:

In H2H I regularly go without a catcher. I use that roster spot on the following instead:

-A bench player currently covering for an already rostered player who is hurt, but I don't want to drop or start and can't be DL'ed.

-A bench bat who has great platoon splits, like Adam Lind, and has a string of great matchups.

-A streaming 2 start pitcher.

-A streaming sunday starting pitcher.

-A prospect who is expected to be called up shortly or just got called up.

-A closer in waiting or a middle reliever who is on a tear.

Once the playoffs start, I may roster a catcher or even two, it just depends on the composition of the team I am facing.

1 hour ago, disasterisk said:

In H2H I regularly go without a catcher. I use that roster spot on the following instead:

-A bench player currently covering for an already rostered player who is hurt, but I don't want to drop or start and can't be DL'ed.

-A bench bat who has great platoon splits, like Adam Lind, and has a string of great matchups.

-A streaming 2 start pitcher.

-A streaming sunday starting pitcher.

-A prospect who is expected to be called up shortly or just got called up.

-A closer in waiting or a middle reliever who is on a tear.

Once the playoffs start, I may roster a catcher or even two, it just depends on the composition of the team I am facing.

Same here. I regularly win $ leagues punting catchers. If you're playing roto or have a poor offense, yeah sure knock yourself out. But I draft offense first and take upside arms later so I'm comfortable enough with my offense to live without a catcher. 

This year I went with a different strategy. Instead of punting C like usual I picked G.Sanchez to get the ultimate advantage over everyone else at the position. Is it overpay? No because he'll produce identical numbers compared to someone like A.Rizzo. 

How do you guys feel about stacking? Obviously in dfs it’s fine, but in my season long I ended up with the 1-2-3 hitters from one team. (To avoid bench coachyness, let’s just say, think chuck Norris) I like all the players but didn’t really plan on quite the stack like that. Thoughts?

in a standard 12-team 5x5, how valuable is the #1 or #2 waiver wire position? i typically don't end up with high WW claims because i'm a mover of players, but in general, what strategies have you noticed seem to work best or do you personally believe in?

do you hold tight, waiting for that super special player that shouldn't have been dropped? or, do you use it on the first player that you want, regardless of whether they're a flier or minor league maybe?

my approach has always been to go after the player(s) you want, but i'm toying with the idea of trying to stay at the top of the list.. hoping that it pays off in a few weeks.

32 minutes ago, osb_tensor said:

in a standard 12-team 5x5, how valuable is the #1 or #2 waiver wire position? i typically don't end up with high WW claims because i'm a mover of players, but in general, what strategies have you noticed seem to work best or do you personally believe in?

do you hold tight, waiting for that super special player that shouldn't have been dropped? or, do you use it on the first player that you want, regardless of whether they're a flier or minor league maybe?

my approach has always been to go after the player(s) you want, but i'm toying with the idea of trying to stay at the top of the list.. hoping that it pays off in a few weeks.

I think that depends a lot on the league.  With "less experienced" people who are more prone to rage dropping a good player after a couple down weeks, it's of course better to hold onto.  If you know there's that guy in your league that every year drops a big fish back into the pond, then it could be worth it.  But if you play in a league with a bunch of sharps, I think you're probably best off just using it when you think the time is right.  

FWIW I also tend to try and use it to fill a hole on my team.  If I really need a SS, for example, I might keep it until I see a decent SS pop up that I can use it on.  

40 minutes ago, Michael Bluth said:

How do you guys feel about stacking? Obviously in dfs it’s fine, but in my season long I ended up with the 1-2-3 hitters from one team. (To avoid bench coachyness, let’s just say, think chuck Norris) I like all the players but didn’t really plan on quite the stack like that. Thoughts?

I don't think it matters too much.  I don't necessarily try to stack it, but I wouldn't be upset if I ended up that way.  And if I'm translating your Chuck Norris code correctly, they are all good hitters with good tools, but not necessarily your top round draft picks in fantasy, so it should matter less.

Of course you might get some turds where they face an ace pitcher, but you'll also get some good outbursts too.  And for the most part, the team should score a few runs every game, so even if one or two don't contribute, you have pretty good odds of getting something out of one of them at the very least.

Not in favor of three or more from the same team for a couple of reasons. The first one was mentioned you run across a hot pitcher and easy to get an 0-9 or worse on the day. Even if your team blows up your three may not be part of the blowup.

Then early in the year or really any part a postponed game gets rescheduled you potentially lose the makeup game if you drop or trade one of the three. Or if it gets happens later in the year and doesn't affect the playoff race it may not even be played.

Or if they are on a good team that clinches early they could be sitting most of September

21 hours ago, Michael Bluth said:

Stacking Correa and Altuve won me my biggest league last year. It can be very effective, but only if the players are bonafide studs OR you have a big 3/4 hitter and a speedy 1/2. Think Eaton/Harper, or Segura/Cano etc. 3 is too much IMO.

3 minutes ago, roscobangs said:

Stacking Correa and Altuve won me my biggest league last year. It can be very effective, but only if the players are bonafide studs OR you have a big 3/4 hitter and a speedy 1/2. Think Eaton/Harper, or Segura/Cano etc. 3 is too much IMO.

Right. Or stacking batter pitcher like Harper/scherzer or Bellinger/Kershaw

3 hours ago, Low and Away said:

Not in favor of three or more from the same team for a couple of reasons. The first one was mentioned you run across a hot pitcher and easy to get an 0-9 or worse on the day. Even if your team blows up your three may not be part of the blowup.

Then early in the year or really any part a postponed game gets rescheduled you potentially lose the makeup game if you drop or trade one of the three. Or if it gets happens later in the year and doesn't affect the playoff race it may not even be played.

Or if they are on a good team that clinches early they could be sitting most of September

I have 4 rox Blackmon, DJ, Desmond, Cargo but mostly holding onto last two to see how they look in first couple weeks and playing time goes.....also half the time they are in a favorable match-up....its exception to the rule.

1 hour ago, XxxOilOverloadxxX said:

I have 4 rox Blackmon, DJ, Desmond, Cargo but mostly holding onto last two to see how they look in first couple weeks and playing time goes.....also half the time they are in a favorable match-up....its exception to the rule.

It's always a good idea to stack up on coors hitters.

My last draft was pretty interesting. I waited on pitchers as planned. Paxton fell just slightly to 88 for my ace.  I have some middle relievers to round it out. It will be interesting to see how that works out. 

The draft was super closer crazy and I had to decide if i wanted to take a $3 player over a $9 just to not get shutout. I wasn't doing it. Every time i was willing to compromise a little i got sniped. 

I ultimately did reach, but not untill the 200s. There i got zeigler, holland and kela. I was beating myself up a little on draft day but now im glad i didn't pass up a guy i liked to get shane green. I got lucky but i think this shows that you have to allow great outcomes to happen. If you contantly reach to prevent a choppy draft you'll never have one where everything falls into place. Since this is a 12 team league and part of a 120 team super league I'm glad I didn't play it safe.

A big mistake i made was not preparing for the late rounds of the online draft. My main league is a slow draft so that's the context I had in mind.  When you get late the players suggested by espn (and other sites I'm sure) are wayyy out of whack with your values. So I didn't see some guys like Kipnis, and missed them just because i wasn't aware of them being on the board. 

My league has no min. innings pitched limit...would you trade away starting pitching for closers and just run closers instead?...curious to hear if anyone else has this or has done this strategy before

Keep the aces and go closers and elite setup men

Thanks and I apologize if this is in the wrong forum...since this is a strategy question I thought this was the place to post it