Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

auri

Fantasy Strategy Thread

2 hours ago, disasterisk said:

Instead of being entirely dismissive of the strategy perhaps you should be a little more open to understanding it, you might learn something. 

What I'm being dismissive about is your flawed reasoning and inability to comprehend small sample size fluctuations and variance. Well that, and the fact that you are basing your entire argument on ideas that are fundamentally wrong, such as being able to win 80-100% of the hitting categories every single week "without fail", or relying on relievers but completely dismissing the importance of saves in the 5x5 setting you're using it in.

I've seen the strategy fail countless times even when its implemented optimally.  Sometimes it can work but usually it does not. But the way you are telling us to do it has almost no chance to succeed in any league that is even minimally competitive.

12 minutes ago, cs3 said:

What I'm being dismissive about is your flawed reasoning and inability to comprehend small sample size fluctuations and variance. Well that, and the fact that you are basing your entire argument on ideas that are fundamentally wrong, such as being able to win 80-100% of the hitting categories every single week "without fail", or relying on relievers but completely dismissing the importance of saves in the 5x5 setting you're using it in.

I've seen the strategy fail countless times even when its implemented optimally.  Sometimes it can work but usually it does not. But the way you are telling us to do it has almost no chance to succeed in any league that is even minimally competitive.

Our time interacting on this forum is at an end. 

23 minutes ago, cs3 said:

I have used it with success and failures. You are almost assured of 3/5 the pitching cats with a low min inning. Most weeks I could win Saves, ERA, and Whip. If my opponent that week had Kershaw throw a 7 inning shutout and sat everyone for the rest of the week I still take Saves, Wins, and strikeouts unless Kershaw threw an ungodly amount of strikeouts in that game. If he kept starting pitchers I sm back to trying to win Savs, ERA, and Whip.

You don't need to win 4/5 offensive categories. All you are trying for is 3/5 and any three will do. Draft a Dee Gordon and some average speed guys(Betts, Pham, etc) and you get SB. Betts really helps you across the board. Draft some power guys HR/RBI, some average guys paying attention where they hit in the order for more runs.  Since you are playing H2H winning the week 6-4 over the course of the season gets you into the playoffs. Give me any strategy that is a guarantee at that point. Please any strategy would be helpful at that point would be appreciated

All you needed was a low inning min for it to work. It worked better a couple of years ago till people started valuing RP more. Dominated two keeper leagues using it and the next year the inning min was raised to 30. Streaming SP became the "in" thing to do in those leagues so the next year you had start limits. 

Back to trying it again in one YPL this year just to see if it can still work. Traded Upton, Ohtani, and DeGromm for Altuve and Allen. The second trade was Greinke for Hand. Have sent a proposal for Knebel with Kinser to a manager with 5 DL players and no 2nd baseman.

Very team/league specific but most strategies generally are in knowing league settings or taking advantage of a manager's bad luck.

Sorry to jump in but there seemed to be a lot of information being posted that just seemed off.

y'all are still arguing about this?

1 hour ago, Low and Away said:

. You are almost assured of 3/5 the pitching cats with a low min inning. Most weeks I could win Saves, ERA, and Whip.

Not if you listen to disasterisk and punt saves. According to him saves are irrelevant with that strat

You don't need to win 4/5 offensive categories.  All you are trying for is 3/5 and any three will do

Yes, I'm well aware thats what you're aiming for when the strategy is properly  implemented. You seem to understand this. The other guy absolutely did not. What I was disagreeing with is his hot take that 4 or 5 hitting cats are a stone cold lock every week. He's saying that every week, without exception, you only need to win a max of 1 pitching category to guarantee a tie, and 2 pitching cats to guarantee a win, with only a single pitching cat being needed to win the matchup a majority of weeks.

I know you agree with me in thinking that's ludicrous.

22 hours ago, disasterisk said:

Anecdotal evidence doesn't override industry consensus...

Do you have some data to back up that there is an industry consensus on this strategy? 

Recent industry consensus that I've seen is that this is a played out strategy that only works when all the stars align (and 3 other teams in your league don't try the same thing). 

20 hours ago, sjs1890 said:

Whats the point in drafting offense highly? An offense of hanley cesar hernandez matt chapman simmons jose martinez dickerson thames peralta pujols could of been had for nearly free. Pitcher heavy early in drafts seem like the way to go.

18 hours ago, Flyman75 said:

I disagree entirely. I'd rather wait for pitching. 

I think this just goes back to the basic principle that you have to draft 'the right players'. You can wait on hitters or wait on pitchers, and it'll work if you pick the right players. 

You have to have the foresight to pick the Jose Martinez's or Hanley's, or the Taillon's or Morton's. If you picked the 'wrong' players then your strategy will fail either way. 

At the end of the day you have X-amount of roster spots to fill with X-picks. It's generally easier to find talent in the earlier rounds (obviously), so you need to identify who you think the late round bargains are and fill out your team early in the draft accordingly. 

There's not really any kind of "gimmicky" strategy that works consistently. You just need to pick good players that outperform their draft position. 

54 minutes ago, handyandy86 said:

I think this just goes back to the basic principle that you have to draft 'the right players'. You can wait on hitters or wait on pitchers, and it'll work if you pick the right players. 

You have to have the foresight to pick the Jose Martinez's or Hanley's, or the Taillon's or Morton's. If you picked the 'wrong' players then your strategy will fail either way. 

At the end of the day you have X-amount of roster spots to fill with X-picks. It's generally easier to find talent in the earlier rounds (obviously), so you need to identify who you think the late round bargains are and fill out your team early in the draft accordingly. 

There's not really any kind of "gimmicky" strategy that works consistently. You just need to pick good players that outperform their draft position. 

Great point, and I absolutely agree with it. Ironically, I went the wait-for-pitching route, and I currently have the highest pitching points in my 5x5 keeper...but my hitting is struggling right now because I have guys who have started off slowly. Lol...should be the opposite. But I've employed an identical strategy each of the last two years in this same league and have had the highest pitching point totals in each season. I won the league last year and came in second on 2016, narrowly finishing behind first.

Not trying to be all CSB, but just trying to say it works. If it works with pitching, then it must work in reverse as well if the right players are selected...great point. I just don't trust pitchers so I go with hitters. Lol!

Anyone else ever lose all their H2H pitching categories for the week because rainouts caused so many of their SP’s to not get their starts, thus failing to reach the min innings pitched?

Stop sending your trade blocks with every player on your roster.  Narrow that down bro.  

In roto leagues, anybody else punt Catcher for that extra roster spot?

6 minutes ago, Gambino said:

I've done it before and the LM threatened to kick me because my lineup wasnt "full" haha

valid option to do though if executed correctly

4 hours ago, Gambino said:

This really all comes down to settings and rosters, and ultimately what are you going to do with that extra roster spot?  Most roto leagues have an IP max, so you can't exactly make good use of an extra pitcher / extra innings.  And not having a catcher obviously doesn't open up any extra hitter slots.  So you're basically left with being able to roster an extra bench bat.

Unless that extra bench bat is Marwin Gonzalez or some kind of super utility player, you're not likely getting enough production out of that player - in your active lineup - to replace what you're losing from even a bottom end catcher.  Even if you drop Lucroy for say Justin Bour, you have to be able to probably get at least 300-350 AB's out of Bour in your active lineup to make up for Lucroy's lost production.  And factoring in that he only sees your lineup on off-days for your regular 1B or UT players, you're likely only going to be able to use him a couple days a week.  

Like I said it really comes down to league / roster / scoring construction, but I haven't seen a lot of times it's made sense.  In roto you need to maximize the amount of AB's your team has for the season, and leaving a whole position open with 0 AB's is generally not the best way to do that.

in weekly leagues with twice a week waivers, i often drop a catcher on wednesday for the roster spot and then pick a catcher back up on sunday as we need a full lineup or our rosters are illegal.  the extra few days often helps in determining who to hold/drop.

That is not a strategy ...  in some circles you’re a cheater

1 hour ago, shakestreet said:

sounds like a strategy to me.. streaming a catcher is no different than streaming a pitcher.

18 minutes ago, osb_tensor said:

sounds like a strategy to me.. streaming a catcher is no different than streaming a pitcher.

Agreed. Sounds like someone is salty about their mediocre catcher production...

2 hours ago, shakestreet said:

giphy.gif

59 minutes ago, osb_tensor said:

I read it —— He is not streaming the catcher position ...he does not have a catcher on his roster. 

In my leagues under settings there is a catcher position,  like there is a first baseman a second baseman etc....

so I see it as you need to own a catcher, first baseman, second baseman etc .... on your roster. 

Maybe  9 utility positions would be suited in your case ... 

40 minutes ago, ktierne3 said:

Agreed. Sounds like someone is salty about their mediocre catcher production...

I said my peace ... 

once upon a time when you had to pay to play on ESPN you had to have a full lineup (there was no way you could leave the catcher or shortstop position not filled) or your lineup was invalid and you didn’t get any counting stats 

7 hours ago, Gambino said:

Lol what? This is a loser strategy with no chance of benefit. How much do you think one hitter hitting .230 really affects your average over the course of the season? Now compare that with the net gains in other categories.

Chris Ianetta was the 20th ranked C last season. He hit .254 with 17 HR, 38 runs, 48 RBI. 

You think an extra bench spot is worth more than this production, where you’re taking straight zeroes and other teams are getting those numbers? 

Makes no sense. 

2 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Lol what? This is a loser strategy with no chance of benefit. How much do you think one hitter hitting .230 really affects your average over the course of the season? Now compare that with the net gains in other categories.

Chris Ianetta was the 20th ranked C last season. He hit .254 with 17 HR, 38 runs, 48 RBI. 

You think an extra bench spot is worth more than this production, where you’re taking straight zeroes and other teams are getting those numbers? 

Makes no sense. 

shhh, was going to invite to money league ;)

I invite anyone to punt any position in roto. We have games played max so it makes no sense to have an extra bench. Unlimited games played its a viable strategy but not a strong one.

3 hours ago, shakestreet said:

How is it cheating? Any other league member has the option to do so as well soooooooooo:blink:

I agree I don't get the "cheating" aspect. If you're an LM and it's really that big of a deal to you then make it a mandatory rule to fill all positions. But to me not using all your slots is not cheating, it's just dumb. Cheating would be if you somehow had more starters than other teams. Or an advantage others can't take advantage of. 

If someone sees it as a "strategy" and anyone else can use the same "strategy", then it seems pretty straight forward. If you start policing what strategies and roster construction people can use then where does it end?

Shouldn’t have used the word punt. In deep league, with limited bench spots only...I’ve occasionally dropped catcher for half the season so far. Suzuki and Barnes streaming has been fun, but a luxury.

Roster spots for gleybar, Acuna, etc stashing streaming sp’s and focusing on the sp/rp dudes for max holds 

I also got lucky with a good auction.