Sign in to follow this  
Deke

Dan Straily 2017 Outlook

13 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

He's a pitcher and it's 2017, let's be honest.  He probably needs it amputated. 

Lucky for him he doesn't pitch for the Mets or he'd probably lose both arms. 

I didn't realize batters were only hitting .172 against him so far.  Very, very interesting.

There hitting .172 against Straily's slider. 

@FouLLine you watched this guy much this year?  Just acquired today so first time watching.  Pleasantly surprised with stuff so far. Looking like a nice pickup by Miami.

On 5/16/2017 at 1:22 AM, Cmilne23 said:

@FouLLine you watched this guy much this year?  Just acquired today so first time watching.  Pleasantly surprised with stuff so far. Looking like a nice pickup by Miami.

Not gunna lie the only start I've watched of his is when he had 14K's vs the Padres.  I know greedy me only want to see the good stuff lol. 

His fastball command was spot on early in the count and his off speed was just flat out dirty.  Straily's offspeed that day was so good he was freezing guys on 92 MPH fastballs that were pretty much down the middle but up in the zone.  Usually it's the other way around where the fastball sets up the getting froze on a good off speed.

I do plan to watch a lot more of Straily when I get some more time just been super busy lately so I haven't watched nearly as much baseball as I normally do.  My MLB.tv account has been gathering a lot of dust the last 6-7 weeks or so.  I've been doing the quick "cliff notes" version of fantasy baseball this year and getting a lot of my updates from the fine people of this forum lately.  So I as always owe a great thanks and appreciation to the rotoworld community.

This guy is who Straily is training with these days. He said he is trying to convince Straily to throw his breaking stuff much more often. Just something to monitor 

more than a streamer going forward...or can't take anything from this one since it was the lowly Phillies?

I like what I've seen out of him all season as a back-end option playing home games in a good park.  I originally picked up to stream in my 10-teamer, but I think he's worth holding.  K/9 is over 9 now, and the WHIP is a dank 1.07.  He won't get a lot of wins on a bad team, but with the pitching landscape being what it is nowadays, there's no way I'm throwing him back on the streaming market while he's pitching this well.

43 minutes ago, tonycpsu said:

I like what I've seen out of him all season as a back-end option playing home games in a good park.  I originally picked up to stream in my 10-teamer, but I think he's worth holding.  K/9 is over 9 now, and the WHIP is a dank 1.07.  He won't get a lot of wins on a bad team, but with the pitching landscape being what it is nowadays, there's no way I'm throwing him back on the streaming market while he's pitching this well.

@CHC next... that'll be his true test i suppose 

Yeah, that might be a sit, but the Cubbies were just 3-hit by Luis Perdomo, soooo....

26 minutes ago, tonycpsu said:

Yeah, that might be a sit, but the Cubbies were just 3-hit by Luis Perdomo, soooo....

it was in SD where offense goes to die

I streamed him today and dropped.  I would not trust him against tougher opponents.  xFIP around 4.70 when I checked today.  Very happy he got me 10ks and win today!

What is Happening?

This guys pitches an absolute gem against the third best team in MLB and crickets here?  Are we ready to call Dan a legit #4/#5 SP now?  I'm turning into a believer that's for sure.

*Disclaimer...I didn't have the stones to throw him out there against the Nationals that's for sure, but that may change.

Edited by Damn Yankee

I talked about it a bit in yesterday's game day thread, and yeah, I'm pretty psyched.  Granted, it was a Murphy-less and Zimmerman-less Nats lineup, but he had everything working yesterday.  It underscores what I said above (almost a month ago -- where does the time go?) -- he's not a streamer anymore.  He's a must-hold and must-start in most matchups until he shows this is a mirage.

Get this man to the all star game.  Awesome first half.

Crazy how little we have talked about this guy; ERA in the low 3s, good WHIP, close to a K per 9. Not a stud but someone I'm happy to start in just about every matchup 

Bummer that he couldn't hold on for the CGSO, but it's great to see him get into the 9th.  Obviously the weak SF offense helped him tonight, but he made good pitches and kept the hitters off balance all night.  Looking forward to seeing what he can do in the 2nd half.

He's been quite good all year. But getting knocked around by the Phillies is a red flag. It might be time to sell if you can afford to sell SPs.

11 minutes ago, Fiveohnine said:

He's been quite good all year. But getting knocked around by the Phillies is a red flag. It might be time to sell if you can afford to sell SPs.

but sell for what?  do people really value dan straily?  I think he's a hold.  He's very similar to Lance Lynn - a couple of rough starts - peripherals still solid.  Hold for another couple starts but yea the Phillies looks bad.  Maybe his hand is still hurt.

Edited by JetsAwesome

Just traded for this jamoke.  Cant even handle the rangers with their whopping TWO guys hitting over .250 on the season.  Jesus. 

Tough to judge his value. He was solid in the first half, but his ERA the past month is over 5.00. Most of that is one bad outing, but he hasn't been going deep in games. Perhaps he is running out of gas.

The matchups next week are good, though. I've got an offer on the table for him as we speak because I'm down three starters right now (Paxton, Lester and Hernandez) and the wire is a mess. 

It's insane to me how this guy has completely wiped out given his schedule, which is the reason I've had an eye on him all this time (I even spot started him a couple times, unfortunately).

His schedule over the last month couldn't possibly have been easier on paper if you drew it up yourself:

SF

@PHI

SD

PHI

@ATL

@PHI

LOL. I mean that is an insanely weak schedule. His numbers over that period?

6.27 ERA 1.64 WHIP, 30:12 K:BB over 33 IP

I mean that is just plain awful for a schedule like that.

His next start is against the Mets. I'll have to remember to stream their hitters.

Anyone streaming him against the mets tomorrow? Championship week for me and debating it... 2 start week but is @AZ for his 2nd start. As @Fiveohnine mentioned, has performed terribly against weak teams of late.. thoughts?