Sign in to follow this  
wily mo

JC Ramirez 2017 Outlook

Just now, kidtwentytwo said:

Can we get him to start in the 2nd inning?

genetically engineer a pitcher who's charlie morton for the first 3 innings and then JCR after that

In this post apocalyptic wasteland of pitching its scrap heap guys like JC that can keep you afloat.  Nice outing. 

21 minutes ago, wily mo said:

genetically engineer a pitcher who's charlie morton for the first 3 innings and then JCR after that

i got both.. that would be great

28 minutes ago, JetsAwesome said:

anyone firing him against marlins?

Starting every time out until he proves otherwise. Bounces back well and goes deep after bad early innings. If he can limit damage he's serviceable. Would like to see a k increase here 

Finished with 7 strong innings. Would've liked to see more Ks, but this is very, very decent.

22 minutes ago, 12to6 said:

Finished with 7 strong innings. Would've liked to see more Ks, but this is very, very decent.

Decent? This was a great start. You got some high expectations man.

Just now, lbjames6 said:

Decent? This was a great start. You got some high expectations man.

I'm fine calling it great. I'd prefer to see more Ks for a 'great' start, but I'm not gonna quibble.

he seems like he's trying to settle into the ervin santana zone - the 7 inning, 1 run, 4 baserunner, 4 K game. he's basically been that lately except for the first inning problem, which he managed to basically avoid today (in spite of his DP combo's best efforts to screw him)

I don't mind him posting consistently good but not great starts. It's not like I paid anything for the guy now Garret Cole on the other hand..... That's for a different thread

He was sort of lucky to escape with bases loaded after fantastic pickoff by Maldonado and Pujols(and a bit unlucky loading the bases with some weak singles).

Outside of that it was very very good start, one of my favorite waiver pickups this year.

12 hours ago, wily mo said:

he seems like he's trying to settle into the ervin santana zone - the 7 inning, 1 run, 4 baserunner, 4 K game. he's basically been that lately except for the first inning problem, which he managed to basically avoid today (in spite of his DP combo's best efforts to screw him)

C'mon man, let's not compare him to Ervin Santana. That's just wrong.

I was under the impression he was lined up to start tomorrow but I'm seeing different reports. Espn is reporting Meyer is going tomorrow but yahoo had Ramirez going tomorrow. If he doesn't go tomorrow would he just get pushed to Friday?

17 minutes ago, BostonCajun said:

I was under the impression he was lined up to start tomorrow but I'm seeing different reports. Espn is reporting Meyer is going tomorrow but yahoo had Ramirez going tomorrow. If he doesn't go tomorrow would he just get pushed to Friday?

He will go Friday

No bueno.  Dropped this guy a while ago but was hoping for signs of progress.  Instead, bombed out in 4.2 with 7 runs and only 3 Ks.  Twins are a hot offense right now, but Mauer, Grossman, and Kepler aren't exactly major power threats these days and they all took him deep.  Guy just doesn't look that good as a starter -- I think that hot K streak was a mirage.

Edited by tonycpsu

4 minutes ago, tonycpsu said:

No bueno.  Dropped this guy a while ago but was hoping for signs of progress.  Instead, bombed out in 4.2 with 7 runs and only 3 Ks.  Twins are a hot offense right now, but Mauer, Grossman, and Kepler aren't exactly major power threats these days and they all took him deep.  Guy just doesn't look that good as a starter -- I think that hot K streak was a mirage.

I think it's partly a change in pitching philosophy...pitching more to contact to log more IP/9.  So much for that strategy...  This guy's value took a big dip once he decided he wasn't going to strike ppl out anymore.  I wouldn't roster him unless it's a deep league.

Dropped.  You can find a 4 plus ERA and 6 K/9 on the wire any day. 

There are only recycled bums in my free agent pool in my 12 team league. 

So I guess the real question here is whether or not it best to open up his spot for streaming purposes more than it is trying to chase a permanent starter out of free agency because there are no serious candidates at the moment in 12+ team mixed leagues. And since his next two opponents are tough ones @DET and vs NYY now would seem like the time to cut bait.

Personally I'm gonna hang in there for right now. He had one dud in May and one dud in April and he starts June off with one. I'm curious to see how he bounces back from this clunker. 

i don't think he's as bad as this last start, but i got excited about him in the first place because his swing and K rates were looking really good. but apparently right after that he actively decided to stop trying to strike people out. that makes the HR problem a lot more difficult to tolerate

i'm in a deep enough league that i'm not giving up on him entirely, since i use a 15-pitcher SP squad with rich hill as the ace lol. but i've moved him from the 1-start group to the 2-start only group