dabeesta17

Christian McCaffrey 2017 Outlook

1 hour ago, pikerbkb said:

All fair and legitimate observations. You've seen more of his games than I have, that's for certain.

The one thing I have heard that is still troublesome is, even in the Panthers' SB season he never, not during the entire season, audibled out of a play and this was reportedly an unnamed teammate or ex-teammate who made this statement. Now maybe that's by design or the way they run their system. He might just have certain plays with a run pass option. If this is true, I think this ability or practice would be necessary in order to run the type of offense that would take maximum advantage of McCaffrey's abilities.

I don't remember Cam not audibling the entire season in 2015. Lol. He's not a Peyton Manning when it comes to audibles but he audibles. The Panthers were the #1 ranked offense that season.

I don't understand why "audibles" would be a knock on Cam? The unnamed ex teammate could be throwing a little bit of salt with the comment. 

I'm more concerned with Shula's creativity(with the new guys)in the playbook as opposed to Cam practicing.

32 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

Comparing McCaffrey to Vereen is ridiculous. But hey, if it keeps his ADP down, keep it coming!

It's all part of my secret plan to drive down his value and scoop him up cheap!

cq63t.jpg?a415104

41 minutes ago, TX Babe Ruth said:

I don't remember Cam not audibling the entire season in 2015. Lol. He's not a Peyton Manning when it comes to audibles but he audibles. The Panthers were the #1 ranked offense that season.

I don't understand why "audibles" would be a knock on Cam? The unnamed ex teammate could be throwing a little bit of salt with the comment. 

I'm more concerned with Shula's creativity(with the new guys)in the playbook as opposed to Cam practicing.

I don't remember either as I have not watched him play much since 2015 and I wasn't really looking for it. My point is that if true (and I believe it is), it's just another bit of evidence that shows Cam lacks the capacity to run a complex offense to the level of the elite QBs (Brady, P. Manning, Rodgers, Brees, etc.) and some non-elite QBs as well, at least to this point in his career.

Also, I don't know much about Shula, but Cam's limitations as a QB may or may not affect the level of creativity that can be implemented into the offense.

Edited by pikerbkb

1 hour ago, pikerbkb said:

I don't remember either as I have not watched him play much since 2015 and I wasn't really looking for it. My point is that if true (and I believe it is), it's just another bit of evidence that shows Cam lacks the capacity to run a complex offense to the level of the elite QBs (Brady, P. Manning, Rodgers, Brees, etc.) and some non-elite QBs as well, at least to this point in his career.

Also, I don't know much about Shula, but Cam's limitations as a QB may or may not affect the level of creativity that can be implemented into the offense.

I watch Every game and it's not true. You can YouTube some of his highlights audible if you are interested. 

You are are entitled to your opinion but like I said previously, you don't win NFL MVP or make it to the SB in your 5th season if you are not talented. I will let Cam's record speak for itself. 

I see that you have not watched any Carolina games and just speaking on hearsay and what you think you know about Cam's abilities. 

Take some time and watch the games for yourself and then we can converse. 

1 minute ago, TX Babe Ruth said:

I watch Every game and it's not true. You can YouTube some of his highlights audible if you are interested. 

You are are entitled to your opinion but like I said previously, you don't win NFL MVP or make it to the SB in your 5th season if you are not talented. I will let Cam's record speak for itself. 

I see that you have not watched any Carolina games and just speaking on hearsay and what you think you know about Cam's abilities. 

Take some time and watch the games for yourself and then we can converse. 

Don't get offended or defensive man. It's just a FF forum. But anyway, back to the interrogation. First you can't remember, now you're sure it's not true? Which is it man? For the record, have you ever witnessed Cam audible? lol

I've actually watched Cam quite a bit and in an earlier post I think I even mentioned he was a force of nature. I never said he wasn't talented, but it took him having the season of his career and everything breaking right for the Panthers to make a championship run.

I just don't know if he can take his game to the next level, or more precisely, if there is another level to his game.

6359092742532390922128178806_giphy%20(37

5 hours ago, TX Babe Ruth said:

I disagree. Cam never had an issue getting the ball to Olsen and Steve Smith(pro-bowlers)

I've watched the Panthers since Cam entered the league and they hadn't done anything to put weapons around him. He has been the leading rusher since he entered the league and this wasn't by design, but because he had no weapons. They utilized his skill set to the best of his ability. 

*If you want to count Ted "stone hands" Ginn Jr as a weapon then go right ahead. Drop balls affects a QB accuracy as well as no weapons on offense.

KB missed an entire season. Corey Brown is meh, Funchess was a rookie. Stewart can't stay healthy and D.Williams was banged up during Cam's tenure.

Mike Shula runs that offense and his creativity isn't the best in my humble opinion. I can't wait until he's replaced.

Last but not least, Cam reads defenses well enough to be 2015 NFL MVP and make it to the SB. 

They are finally starting to put legit pieces of offense around him. Let's see if he's not the team's leading rusher this season. 

Cam is not an accurate passer. He throws terrible passes way too often. Either over or under thrown. From a pure throwing the ball standpoint he is below average. Obviously he is nowhere near Tim Tebow bad. He's not a terrible passer by any means. However, he isn't very good either.

Edited by Gohawks

On 5/11/2017 at 6:04 PM, Gohawks said:

Cam is not an accurate passer. He throws terrible passes way too often. Either over or under thrown. From a pure throwing the ball standpoint he is below average. Obviously he is nowhere near Tim Tebow bad. He's not a terrible passer by any means. However, he isn't very good either.

A QB who makes his living on running the ball the last 7yrs is not all of a sudden going to throw the ball to a rookie RB. It DOES NOT HAPPEN FOLKS. This would be a first if cam all of a sudden stops running and becomes a pocket passer.  I predict the panthers to be a frustrating offense to watch this year if ur a mcaffrey owner 

43 minutes ago, dashoe said:

A QB who makes his living on running the ball the last 7yrs is not all of a sudden going to throw the ball to a rookie RB. It DOES NOT HAPPEN FOLKS. This would be a first if cam all of a sudden stops running and becomes a pocket passer.  I predict the panthers to be a frustrating offense to watch this year if ur a mcaffrey owner 

And B I N G O was his name oh.

12 hours ago, dashoe said:

I disagree. The concussion Cam suffered last season really affected him. He has slowed down on his running each season he has been in the league, and in 2015, he was doing both(pocket passing more & run) pretty well.  Also, the panther's offense is mostly read-option.

I wouldn't say that he won't use the weapons around him, in fact, I think he'd rather use them than suffer another concussion.

Listen to him when he talks about concussions. His complaints of not being protected in the pocket along with the illegal hits taken(last season) took a toll on him as well.

I think we will see a different Cam moving forward. He won't have to try and do it all...

13 hours ago, dashoe said:

12 hours ago, petekrum said:

And B I N G O was his name oh.

I'd suggest there's a strong argument to the contrary.

Considering the host of quality DBs they should've / need to have chosen at 1.08, and considering that they chose McCaffrey, and considering the lack of success last year, all suggest a fundamental shift in offensive philosophy for Carolina. It's Rivera who's helping Cam to mature as a QB by adding the one weapon sorely lacking in the Panther offense.

As if that isn't enough, JStew has only played a full 16-game season 3 times in 9 years, the last time being 2011.

I can confirm cam does not audible, has a horrible attitude, always chews gum and wears a towel  (even when we're losing!), and he only won MVP bc of all the pro bowl talent surrounding him that year.

would definitely avoid

Edited by Panthers8912

On 5/18/2017 at 10:47 PM, cohenstantinople said:

Considering the host of quality DBs they should've / need to have chosen at 1.08, and considering that they chose McCaffrey, and considering the lack of success last year, all suggest a fundamental shift in offensive philosophy for Carolina. It's Rivera who's helping Cam to mature as a QB by adding the one weapon sorely lacking in the Panther offense.

As if that isn't enough, JStew has only played a full 16-game season 3 times in 9 years, the last time being 2011.

Anyone knows when Cam returns from surgery?  Anyone care to guess if there is a backup plan if he has complications when he returns? I don't even know who the panthers backup QB is.  i will say that I don't think a Cam on a shortened offseason post surgery is going to come back and just be a great short route passer when he wasnt one playing healthy.

Edited by dashoe

24 minutes ago, dashoe said:

Anyone knows when Cam returns from surgery?  Anyone care to guess if there is a backup plan if he has complications when he returns? I don't even know who the panthers backup QB is.  i will say that I don't think a Cam on a shortened offseason post surgery is going to come back and just be a great short route passer when he wasnt one playing healthy.

I don't know his doctor's report, but philosophically speaking we might add this to the conversation: even Superman bleeds, and Cam might be forced to develop a safety net (i.e. McCaffrey) if he's going to prolong his life / health in the NFL.

I think McCaffery will have some nice games, but I don't see him as a central part of their offense in all games. I'm not sure cam has the instinct to look for a RB before running himself, I'm not sure Shula is particularly competent, and I don't see how McCaffery is going to score touchdowns.

I think I'm not likely to own him much, even though I like him a lot as a player. In my mind his projection is high variance which usually means his value in the eyes of owners will be high variance. You don't want those guys, because getting one is a winner's curse scenario.

9 hours ago, dashoe said:

If Cam wasn't getting positive info from his doctors, I assume (or hope) the Panthers would have brought in a QB who could run a Cam style offense better than Derek Anderson.

Edited by hoppychokes

On 5/18/2017 at 7:47 PM, cohenstantinople said:

I'm really eager to see how a 5'11“ 200 lbs. RB is able to hold up as volume runner and as a pass blocker.

There are exceptions as we've hashed over on this thread ad nauseum, but as a rule, he profiles as part of a committee.

I tried to step away from discussing McCaffrey for a week, gain a fresh perspective and see if that would give me a more positive outlook on his prospects for the season. It hasn't.

Over time, I predict he will not be an effective runner at the pro level which will ultimately render him as a passing down back. People who drafted him high in dynasty are going to regret wasting the pick. imo

Edited by pikerbkb

8 hours ago, pikerbkb said:

I'm really eager to see how a 5'11“ 200 lbs. RB is able to hold up as volume runner and as a pass blocker.

There are exceptions as we've hashed over on this thread ad nauseum, but as a rule, he profiles as part of a committee.

I tried to step away from discussing McCaffrey for a week, gain a fresh perspective and see if that would give me a more positive outlook on his prospects for the season. It hasn't.

Over time, I predict he will not be an effective runner at the pro level which will ultimately render him as a passing down back. People who drafted him high in dynasty are going to regret wasting the pick. imo

haven't you been reading this thread? The panthers didnt draft him in the 1st round just for him to be a  passing down back. . . :P

9 hours ago, pikerbkb said:

giphy.gif

3 hours ago, joshua18 said:

Nice Michael Jackson gif. No, he's not creepy at all.

J18, you're a stat & research guy as far as I can tell. Go back and find me at least one comp player (regardless of skin color) with the same skill set, physical and athletic profile as this guy who went on to have great success in the NFL. Maybe Reggie Bush? And that's a big maybe because for a so called all-world, all-purpose back who has played in the league for a decade, I don't remember him every setting the world on fire, especially in FF. I would lean more towards mediocre, better real life football player, etc.

So the point is there are very few examples of McCaffrey's type, if any, having great success in the pros and even fewer who prove worthy of a Top 5 pick in dynasty. Do you really think he's.....the one?

tumblr_ng16g8FdVV1qk14c9o1_500.gif

I mean, at least if I select Mixon over McCaffrey I am going with a guy who profiles as an all-world back like Bell or DJ, not some swiss-army knife back who had trouble playing a full season.

Edited by pikerbkb

McCoy is an easy comp: 5'10, 198 lbs

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/lesean-mccoy?id=79607

Last I checked, there are many who are considering him a late 1st rd pick even this season. 

And an even better comp is Jamaal Charles: 6'1, 200 lbs

• 40 YARD DASH: 4.38 SEC
  • BROAD JUMP: 122.0 INCH
  • 3 CONE DRILL: 6.80 SEC
  • 20 YARD SHUTTLE: 4.22 SEC

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/jamaal-charles?id=925

Both longtime three-down studs with not anywhere near the draft capital of McCaffrey. 

McCaffrey: 5'11, 202 lbs

• 40 YARD DASH: 4.48 SEC
  • BROAD JUMP: 121.0 INCH
  • 3 CONE DRILL: 6.57 SEC

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/Christian-McCaffrey?id=2557997

Pretty easy to understand why McCaffrey was a top-10 pick...

1 hour ago, joshua18 said:

McCoy is an easy comp: 5'10, 198 lbs

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/lesean-mccoy?id=79607

Last I checked, there are many who are considering him a late 1st rd pick even this season. 

And an even better comp is Jamaal Charles: 6'1, 200 lbs

• 40 YARD DASH: 4.38 SEC
  • BROAD JUMP: 122.0 INCH
  • 3 CONE DRILL: 6.80 SEC

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/jamaal-charles?id=925

Both longtime three-down studs with not anywhere near the draft capital of McCaffrey. 

McCaffrey: 5'11, 202 lbs

• 40 YARD DASH: 4.48 SEC
  • BROAD JUMP: 121.0 INCH
  • 3 CONE DRILL: 6.57 SEC

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/Christian-McCaffrey?id=2557997

Pretty easy to understand why McCaffrey was a top-10 pick...

That's all you got? Comparing him to elite players who are obviously better than him and barfing up combine results? Awesome. I guess this is what all the McCaffrey Club members are smoking? McCaffrey isn't  anything close to their talent level as far as demonstrated movement skills. If you are banking on him being as good as those guys/at their level more power to you. Doesn't make any sense to me. He doesn't resemble those guys when he plays. That's actually kind of throwing shade on McCoy and Charles.

Edited by pikerbkb

10 minutes ago, pikerbkb said:

That's all you got? Comparing him to elite players who are obviously better than him and barfing up combine results? Awesome. I guess this is what all the McCaffrey Club members are smoking? McCaffrey isn't  anything close to their talent level as far as demonstrated movement skills. If you are banking on him being as good as those guys/at their level more power to you. Doesn't make any sense to me. He doesn't resemble those guys when he plays. That's actually kind of throwing shade on McCoy and Charles.

LOL

Get your popcorn ready. 

7 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

LOL

Get your popcorn ready. 

LOL? The acronyms you should get used to are TFL, DNP and IR. Popcorn's going to get stale.