ChasinDatPaper

Corey Davis Season Outlook 2017

On 4/29/2017 at 1:51 PM, petekrum said:

The fact they used the #5 pick and a third rounder on WRs tells you all you need to know about Mathews.

whats that? with half a year of mariota focusing on him as his #1 he still had 950 yards and basically 10 tds?

he will not just fall off the face of the earth

9 minutes ago, aadam said:

whats that? with half a year of mariota focusing on him as his #1 he still had 950 yards and basically 10 tds?

he will not just fall off the face of the earth

No, but he'll settle into the role of number two WR in the near future.

7 minutes ago, petekrum said:

No, but he'll settle into the role of number two WR in the near future.

I'm pretty sure Mariota was the #1 QB weeks 5-12 when he had 21 TD passes.

In that case, your #2 target is still a top 10 fantasy receiver.  See Cooks/Thomas - NO, or Nelson/Adams - GB.

It's hard to ignore your favorite red-zone targets when the new guys are hogging all the coverage.  LOL

54 minutes ago, jmausen said:

I'm pretty sure Mariota was the #1 QB weeks 5-12 when he had 21 TD passes.

In that case, your #2 target is still a top 10 fantasy receiver.  See Cooks/Thomas - NO, or Nelson/Adams - GB.

It's hard to ignore your favorite red-zone targets when the new guys are hogging all the coverage.  LOL

It's gonna be a year or two before the Titans have two top ten WRs. 

8 minutes ago, petekrum said:

It's gonna be a year or two before the Titans have two top ten WRs. 

Probably so, but I'm just looking for a top 24 WR with a 7th round pick.  Think I've got one.

1 minute ago, jmausen said:

Probably so, but I'm just looking for a top 24 WR with a 7th round pick.  Think I've got one.

Perhaps. A bit optimistic for me, but he could be value depending on where you can get him.

4 minutes ago, petekrum said:

Perhaps. A bit optimistic for me, but he could be value depending on where you can get him.

I also like Shepard, Snead, Garcon, and Lee in later rounds (9-14).  They all have WR2 upside.

And TEN has one of the softest schedules this year.  I like streaming my WR2 with the easiest matchup.

Lee has the easiest schedule and he's been practicing with Bortles in the off-season.

6 minutes ago, jmausen said:

I also like Shepard, Snead, Garcon, and Lee in later rounds (9-14).  They all have WR2 upside.

And TEN has one of the softest schedules this year.  I like streaming my WR2 with the easiest matchup.

Lee has the easiest schedule and he's been practicing with Bortles in the off-season.

Im right there with you on Snead and Lee.

22 hours ago, jmausen said:

Randy Moss, ODB, Julio Jones, Mike Evans, Calvin Johnson

Just to name a few.

Top 5 picks, in particular, are expected to contribute immediately.  Anything short of 1000 yards / 6-8 TDs from a top 5 draft pick is a disappointment.

Coming from the MAC.  I'm concerned scouts are giving his tape too much credit.

...and for every name that you mentioned above there are always guys in the first round like..

Charles Rodgers, Braylon Edwards, Darrius Heyward-Bey, Justin Blackmon, Cordarelle Patterson, Troy Williamson, Nelson Alghor, Mike Williams, Ted Ginn Jr to just name a few.

Edited by nonstopfan

28 minutes ago, nonstopfan said:

...and for every name that you mentioned above there are always guys in the first round like..

Charles Rodgers, Braylon Edwards, Darrius Heyward-Bey, Justin Blackmon, Cordarelle Patterson, Troy Williamson, Nelson Alghor, Mike Williams, Ted Ginn Jr to just name a few.

Only Rodgers, Edwards and Blackmon were top-5 picks and none had Davis' pedigree (production, dominator rating, breakout age) from college. 

But even the busts (Rogers, Blackmon) saw lots of targets (8-10 per game) as rookies.

49 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

Only Rodgers, Edwards and Blackmon were top-5 picks and none had Davis' pedigree (production, dominator rating, breakout age) from college. 

But even the busts (Rogers, Blackmon) saw lots of targets (8-10 per game) as rookies.

Lets not forget that Blackmon was a bust because hes an idiot, not because of a lack of talent.  That dude looked really good until he screwed it all up

Source: TitansOnline.com - Jim Wyatt

Tennessee Titans WR Corey Davis (ankle) has done more in practices of late and could be turned loose for more soon.

I like Davis potential.  High floor kind of guy but TEN likes to run the ball or throw to TEs.  Maybe Davis route tree will be in that intermediate zone.  Frankly, I still like Mike Williams a bit more.  I think Williams has the higher ceiling.

On Tuesday, May 02, 2017 at 9:15 AM, nonstripedzebra said:

I think people are slightly underrating Rishard maybe even the Titans. I like Davis but I think its plausible that the Titans could support two receivers and that Matthews has at least some potential to stay as the primary target. Davis could blow up but he is an unquantifiable product at this point. And if two rounds separate them post selecting a starter line up I would comfortably take the flyer with the potential Davis ends up not translating and Matthews garners the catches. That is in the realm of possibility let alone them haveing marginal separation in production. 

This.  For me in redraft Rishard  is my target.

As for Davis, given his quality of competition and no athletic measurements to evaluate I want to watch him in pre-season.

26 minutes ago, 96mnc said:

This.  For me in redraft Rishard  is my target.

As for Davis, given his quality of competition and no athletic measurements to evaluate I want to watch him in pre-season.

Agree 100%.

As a general concept, I like to bet on rookie RBs and bet against all other rookies. I know that's not really novel thought, but it's consensus wisdom that's been lost post-2014. I've rarely been made to regret it (that same crazy 2014 rookie receiver class being the most obvious exception).

You will definitely miss out on some good rookie performances from WRs, and even the rare QB (Dak) or TE (Henry) who is of value, but often they're found on the wire anyway (both of those guys, also Tyreek Hill, even Beckham, Adams, and TB Mike Williams). That said, they miss more than hit. You can usually find an equally productive player at the same ADP who is not a rookie. I usually aim to go that route.

24 minutes ago, hard1 said:

Hurt or helped with decker signing?

It hurts him this season because Decker's presence on the field commands quality targets...

Long term, I think it helps Davis because Decker is a team guy and he prepares the way you want guys to prepare.

He took a team friendly deal and he can mentor Davis while Davis gets up to NFL speed.

It allows Tennessee to develop Davis a little bit before throwing him right in there.

Davis has gifts and may already be ready for the big time, but smart money says most WRs are not ready when they get to the league

(other than the ridiculous 2014 class as @irvnasty pointed out).

The WR1 spot is there for Davis next season and beyond, but now he'll be able to earn his way into the role.

Matthews and Decker may not be Pro-bowlers, but they are good football players.

Edited by Winky

57 minutes ago, Winky said:

It hurts him this season because Decker's presence on the field commands quality targets...

Long term, I think it helps Davis because Decker is a team guy and he prepares the way you want guys to prepare.

He took a team friendly deal and he can mentor Davis while Davis gets up to NFL speed.

It allows Tennessee to develop Davis a little bit before throwing him right in there.

Davis has gifts and may already be ready for the big time, but smart money says most WRs are not ready when they get to the league

(other than the ridiculous 2014 class as @irvnasty pointed out).

The WR1 spot is there for Davis next season and beyond, but now he'll be able to earn his way into the role.

Matthews and Decker may not be Pro-bowlers, but they are good football players.

Well-posted. Agreed that Davis' opportunities are hurt significantly this year, and I will not be targeting him in redraft leagues. Took Davis at 1.04 in dynasty, and while I'm not thrilled about the addition of Decker I'm in it for the long haul... hopefully Decker's tenure on the Titans will only last one year, enough time for mentorship, not enough time to undermine Davis' growth / opportunities. I think each dynasty owner, annually, wants to grab a rookie and have him produce like OBJ. Davis has the talent, but if there was a chance of that happening this year, Decker's signing quashes that chance.

As a Decker owner of a different dynasty team, I'm not so thrilled either... a three-year contract with Dallas or the Colts would have been exponentially better, Kansas City or Baltimore considerably better. I reckon there's still a chance Decker will trade-up for the 2018 season, assuming his 2016 injury woes are behind him.

Matthews and Mariota had an awesome connection last year. I expect Davis to take a while to get the game, especially given where he went to school. I do think they will be great together, though.

I got this guy for dirt cheap (I think 11th round?). What are your thoughts on him? I think he has absolutely the highest ceiling, even though he's currently injured (think ODB in his rookie year, but not that high.) ODB was also injured for 4-6 weeks, then tore it up.

6 minutes ago, PlayTheWaivers said:

I got this guy for dirt cheap (I think 11th round?). What are your thoughts on him? I think he has absolutely the highest ceiling, even though he's currently injured (think ODB in his rookie year, but not that high.) ODB was also injured for 4-6 weeks, then tore it up.

People started to shy away from him when he got injured, and he's been kind of forgotten.  I got him in the 12th round of a Standard redraft a few weeks ago.  Tremendous talent.  May take him a little while to get going, but he should be a solid WR3 by mid to late season.

How many WRs with this kind of upside are available for $1-2 at the end of auctions or around pick 100 in drafts (I got him in MFL 10s at 9.02 and 9.09)?  Not many IMO.  Sure he could bust but at his price (MFL ADP is #95 as WR37 but that's fluffed up by dynasty drafts; more realistic is WR45 to WR47, which is where I got him) you're picking between him, Thielen, Jordan Matthews, Marvin Jones, Kenny Britt, etc.  I'd rather gamble on Davis as my 5th WR.