Sign in to follow this  
ktierne3

Marwin Gonzalez 2017 Outlook

Anything to see here? Just hit his 8th homer of the year after a grand slam last night. Has 1, 2, 3, SS, and OF eligibility on yahoo. 

6 minutes ago, ktierne3 said:

Anything to see here? Just hit his 8th homer of the year after a grand slam last night. Has 1, 2, 3, SS, and OF eligibility on yahoo. 

That's what I would like to know...

He's never hit more than 12 homers in a year I believe, but yet he could still be a late bloomer, but also that lineup is stacked and would be hard to get him full time at bats.

But I am definetely interested...

He also started out hot, with 3 HR and 6 RBI by April 9. Then he went 1-for-27 before this hot streak. Still, I'm intrigued a bit. Nine walks after 61 at-bats is unlike him, and encouraging.

aw, i've missed having a marwin thread

i was all about the mage (game of thrones books joke) as a deep league swiss army knife with sneaky power last year. it went ok but i didn't even bother bringing it up again this year because the astros are so frikken crowded i figured he wouldn't get enough time to be very useful, given that he didn't quite play as much as i hoped last year, and this year just looked worse. but he's doing his best, isn't he?

i'm still curious what he could do with full time, but we may never know. he does hit lefties better, which would drag his numbers down if he played every day

in shallow leagues i don't really recommend, just because, like, he's not really a starter

but he's fun

marwyn-the-mage-the-wizard-of-ga.jpg

Once you pick him up, he won't hit another HR for the next month. Good luck with that.

11 hours ago, ktierne3 said:

nah. nothing to see here

he's just not going to take no for an answer, is he

here's a link to last year's thread, if you find yourself wanting, like, lots of essays about marwin gonzalez

Edited by wily mo

Someone just shared this with me - he's the first player in the modern era to homer in four consecutive games at a different position in each game.

There's Eric Thames, and there's Aaron Judge...and then there's Marwin Gonzalez...

Goodbye Margot hello Marwin

Edited by borindia

Digging a little deeper on his SSS 2017 breakout so far:

His current FB/LD average exit velocity is 96.8pmh, the same as Freddie Freeman and Bryce Harper.  

He has significantly reduced his O-Swing% while increasing both his Z-contact% and O-contact%.  

Anyone else positive he was going to hit a GS there?  If he plays everyday, with his power and muli-position eligibility he will be gold.

13 hours ago, wily mo said:

in shallow leagues i don't really recommend, just because, like, he's not really a starter

ok, i take this back... if he's gonna hit like this, they can shoehorn him into LF often enough on top of his infield work to be out there most days... and anyway you only live once, as they say

9 hours ago, Roto4500 said:

Once you pick him up, he won't hit another HR for the next month. Good luck with that.

Not true...picked him up this morning and I come home to see another HR

Now has a HR in the past 5 games he's started -- 6HRs in Total. I too drafted him last year as a bench Swiss-Army Knife. Happy to have him back.

37 minutes ago, HalfManHalfAmazing said:

this guy looks like a backup player

will he get enough at bats to be relevent?

anything to see here?

What about his appearance makes him look like a back up player? 

As long as he keeps producing I am sure he will get AB's.

The answer lies within the previous posts on this page.

6 minutes ago, Meastoftheeast said:

What about his appearance makes him look like a back up player? 

As long as he keeps producing I am sure he will get AB's.

The answer lies within the previous posts on this page.

Please don't ask me to find the article... but the manager said he doesn't plan to bench him any time soon and will plug him anywhere he can to give guys days off in the OF and infield.

Another question for you guys. I am not trying to rain on the parade (I picked up this guy as well) but is anyone concerned that he still has a very high ground ball rate?? Could the homer barage just be an anamoly. The other perhiphals look good, high walk rate, babip is actually kind of low and he could be a .270 hitter easily.

I want someone to tell me not to worry about the ground ball rate.

It makes me sad that this guy is doing what I had hoped from Bregman.