Sign in to follow this  
ktierne3

Marwin Gonzalez 2017 Outlook

1 hour ago, wily mo said:

sure. but he may or may not have been today with one more lineup slot available. just putting that out there for people to be aware of in case today's non-start is pushing them to the breaking point on holding him and the info might change their thinking any

Uh? People can make up their own mind. I'm just stating the facts, he's been benched recently even with a DH. I am not persuaded anyone to do anything. I didn't come in here saying its time to drop him or he sucks. I like Marwin a lot and I wish they would just make him a starter full time.

With the track record Marwin has, I think we pretty much know who he is as a hitter. 

The Jose Bautista path is the extreme exception not the rule.

If the multi position eligibility in combination with his historic norms is helpful, cool. Anything above that should be a surprise rather than expected. 

Edited by treat88
Clarity

It's entirely possible that Marwin took a great leap forward as a hitter. Austin Hedges made a change at the plate and has suddenly become a power hitter.  Who knows?

If he keeps it up, he will start at least five days a week, IMO. Look at today's lineup: the bottom three hitters, Gurriel, Bregman, and Aoki each have season SLG% of under .400 (Gurriel pushed over .400 with his HR tonight, though). The DH, Beltran, has a SLG% under .400.  Marwin has a SLG% over .600.  If he keeps it up, he's going to play one of those positions. He's the modern Tony Phillips.

I think the power he was flashing is fluky.  His hard hit rate is down and he had an unsustainable HR/FB rate.  That said, I do think he's taken real strides as a hitter.  Obviously still a small sample, but he's hitting .277 right now with a .250 BABIP.  He had the same average in 2014 with a .330 BABIP.  His contact rates are up across the board, he's swinging as less pitches outside of the zone, and has less swinging strikes.

Now, it's possible that this is all SSS, but I would like to see the Astros give him playing time until he proves he doesn't deserve it.  I think he's earned that.

21 minutes ago, phillyphan21 said:

I think the power he was flashing is fluky.  His hard hit rate is down and he had an unsustainable HR/FB rate.  That said, I do think he's taken real strides as a hitter.  Obviously still a small sample, but he's hitting .277 right now with a .250 BABIP.  He had the same average in 2014 with a .330 BABIP.  His contact rates are up across the board, he's swinging as less pitches outside of the zone, and has less swinging strikes.

yeah, agree with the basic thrust of this. right now he's got 9 homers with only 2 doubles. that ratio should probably even out some. but that doesn't mean he hasn't gotten better, there's a lot of good things happening in the various peripherals

Starting at SS today in place of Correa.  This guy is a true Swiss army knife.  It's too bad he'll likely never get to the 10 starts he needs to be ESPN eligible, but it's just great to see that they're getting him in the lineup literally wherever they can. 

Keep mashing, kid.

35 minutes ago, JJ1223 said:

Starting at SS today in place of Correa.  This guy is a true Swiss army knife.  It's too bad he'll likely never get to the 10 starts he needs to be ESPN eligible, but it's just great to see that they're getting him in the lineup literally wherever they can. 

Keep mashing, kid.

Well, he only needs 4 more appearances at 2B for eligibility there on ESPN. Unfortunately, like you said, he got his first start today at SS for Correa instead. If Correa pinch hits, they may move him over to 2B though and give Altuve a little breather, which of course counts as another appearance.

Edited by Fiveohnine

32 minutes ago, beauso79 said:

And he sits again!!!!

Yup. I would of kept him had he started more. I think he deserves to start. Could be the ultimate swiss army knife with 25 homer power.

Homered, has 10 homers in part time playing time. When will the stros finally give him LF to be a full time OF!!??

9 minutes ago, Picard56 said:

Homered, has 10 homers in part time playing time. When will the stros finally give him LF to be a full time OF!!??

with McCann injured, I'm assuming Gattis slides to catcher and Marwin gets increased PT this week. 

I'm really buying him as a burgeoning stud, and hope he evolves into a Zobrist/Bautista hybrid swiss-army-knife fantasy gem. Probably should temper expectations though. But he looks good. And if he can become just 2016, 35-year-old Zobrist, that would still be awesome for a waiver wire find. 

Clutch homer tonight too after a good at bat... you'd hope Hinch follows that momentum and gets him in the lineup next game. 

Edited by ChicksDigTheOPS

1 hour ago, rrrich46 said:

Hello sexy 2b eligible FA bat! How YOU doin'??? 

must be yahoo cuz im not seeing 2b elg but I sure did go running when I seen this post excited as hell... 10HR and 25rbi in 100 AB hitting over 280

52 minutes ago, wiz said:

must be yahoo cuz im not seeing 2b elg but I sure did go running when I seen this post excited as hell... 10HR and 25rbi in 100 AB hitting over 280

It's CBS...

Batting second tonight, batted fifth yesterday... Starting to become a permanent fixture in the lineup??

3 minutes ago, Picard56 said:

Batting second tonight, batted fifth yesterday... Starting to become a permanent fixture in the lineup??

Well, Correa and McCann are out of the lineup (Gattis catching), so I'm not sure that anything's changed. But it is another game at a middle infield spot -- I believe he's one away from the 10-game eligibility mark after tonight.

A.J.:  This guy is pretty good.  Just let him play.  Kthanksbye.

Marwin lacks the at-bats to qualify for statistical leaderboards, but if he did, his 1.007 OPS would place him 4th in the AL behind Trout, Judge, and Sano. 

He needs to be in the everyday lineup until he proves he shouldn't be. 

Edited by ChicksDigTheOPS

my replacement for Freddie Freeman in a deep league.  I expect some regression on the HRs but an hopeful he can be serviceable.

1 hour ago, ChicksDigTheOPS said:

Marwin lacks the at-bats to qualify for statistical leaderboards, but if he did, his 1.007 OPS would place him 4th in the AL behind Trout, Judge, and Sano. 

He needs to be in the everyday lineup until he proves he shouldn't be. 

User name checks out.

I was gonna try n sell high... but... damn... thinking I might hold on now.  Should have 2B if not SS as well by playoff time, and they're finding him at-bats.  When you have the best team in baseball you want to keep your guys fresh and rested.  He's going to find the lineup more days than not.