Sign in to follow this  
ktierne3

Marwin Gonzalez 2017 Outlook

What do you expect...he only hit one HR last night

14 minutes ago, DivisionVision said:

Safe-Marwin.jpg

Nice...too bad he doesn't play everyday

1 hour ago, Fiveohnine said:

This guy must be a sell right now. He can't keep this up. Right?

Sell for what? Nobody is going to give anything meaningful up until he actually plays everyday. Plus if he does start playing every day and keeps it up you have a stud with multiple position eligibility.

This guy must be a sell right now. He can't keep this up. Right?

Why couldn't he? He's not doing anything that quite insane. I am believing int he changes. He re-tooled his swing from last year. He used to have an open stance and his hand were higher. He now has a closed stance, lowered his hands and has a more pronounced leg kick. There are quite a few players that once they lowered their hands unlocked more power in their swing. I like the comparison someone made earlier in the thread that he is a Bautista-lite-Zobrist type.

4 minutes ago, Travdaddy10 said:

Sell for what? Nobody is going to give anything meaningful up until he actually plays everyday. Plus if he does start playing every day and keeps it up you have a stud with multiple position eligibility.

He's played 7 of the last 8 games. This may or may not be a result of McCann being injured, but he might be overtaking gurriel on the depth chart at 1st, as he has started over him a few times and hitting higher than him in the lineup when they both are playing.

And making a start at first today over Gurriel again. Looks like Gurriel is turing into the bench bat.

they find a way to get him in the line up almost errrrrryday somewhere on the field

yeah, i think you guys are overstating the degree to which he doesn't play at this point. he's in there most of the time

yeah, he still gets a few more days off than most full locked-in starters. but, i mean, in my league, he's SS-eligible and has been as productive as correa over the past month in 3/4 of the plate appearances, so, like, who cares

i traded two back-end SPs and a draft pick for him two weeks ago during that week when he had the foot injury and didn't play much, and i'm pretty pleased about it. i say he's more of a buy than a sell, since he still has very little name value and people aren't sure what to make of him, but he's been gradually getting better for years and i think this is mostly for real (not quite this much HR power but enough)

1 hour ago, wiz said:

they find a way to get him in the line up almost errrrrryday somewhere on the field

I'm wondering if Yahoo will ever allow us to field an entire lineup of Marwins at every position. Just pick up guys like Trout, Harper and others as mere backups lol.

1 minute ago, Redbird said:

I'm wondering if Yahoo will ever allow us to field an entire lineup of Marwins at every position. Just pick up guys like Trout, Harper and others as mere backups lol.

I like the way you think lol

3-5 and two rbi. the last hit was a long single that was nearly an opposite field homer. Second time that he has done that. Recently nearly hit an opposite field homer at home that was only shy by a foot.

So much Marwinning I can't take it any more! Please stop! I can't take so much Marwinning!!!

13 hours ago, Travdaddy10 said:

Why is he hitting 7?

He actually has been all over the order recently, but hitting 7th more times than not. Honestly hitting 7th wouldn't change his counting stats because there seems to be people on base when he comes to bat more times than not.

So im about to prob. do a deal for Marwin but I have 1 legit concern. I know it has prob. been talked about at naseum in this thread (i didn;t go back and look), what does his pt look like when Mccann is back?? It was so incocnsistant before he went down..

@chud12 My feeling is that they're going to find a place for him more nights than not.  He's raking.  They have a legit chance to contend this year and they're going to want to keep their studs well-rested.  Marwin can play any infield position as well as OF.  I think he will still draw probably 3-4 starts per week at worst.  Also, depending on your league settings, he might even have SS eligibility right now.  Keep in mind that literally any injury to their regulars would put him in line for full time starts.  In short, without knowing what you're giving up, I'd say do it.

Now, let's get on to the real topic at hand, what are you guys re-naming your teams?  I'm throwing around the following ideas...

Marwinning!

Starvin' Like Marwin, Girl

Marwin the Martian

What y'all got?

Edited by JJ1223

I don't see how his value goes any higher from this point. But I've been wrong before and will be again.

11 minutes ago, Fiveohnine said:

I don't see how his value goes any higher from this point. But I've been wrong before and will be again.

I do have to agree that his value has probably reached it's peak, but I don't see it dropping by a whole lot, either.  He's been generally consistent thus far.  I think he will have some marginal regression and settle in. 

17 minutes ago, JJ1223 said:

I do have to agree that his value has probably reached it's peak, but I don't see it dropping by a whole lot, either.  He's been generally consistent thus far.  I think he will have some marginal regression and settle in. 

His value could go higher if they give him a daily position and regular slot in the lineup. At least for H2H players. I can see daily leaguers not really caring. 

it can definitely go higher. a lot of people still think this is a flash in the pan. if he keeps crushing, the general public will start to take him more seriously as a legit breakout. even if his OPS drops about 200 players into we are still looking at an .800 OPS bat with awesome position eligibility.