Sign in to follow this  
ktierne3

Marwin Gonzalez 2017 Outlook

3-5 with 3 RBI

1st RBI was a single laced up the middle, second was a 2-run-seeing-eye-single up the middle. We'll take it!!

also, he has 7 appearances at second base this season... 3 more in ESPN format and his value is going to take a big leap.

Middle infielder with a 1.000+ OPS? Sounds decent :)

Edited by ChicksDigTheOPS

2 hours ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

This dude is so valuable because he is eligible at nearly every position. 

Still waiting for 3 more 2B appearances for that MI eligibility on ESPN, then megazord will be complete.

50 minutes ago, Choo on Wieters said:

Still waiting for 3 more 2B appearances for that MI eligibility on ESPN, then megazord will be complete.

any clue if this could happen relatively soon, or if his appearances at second are super far and few between?

6 minutes ago, ChicksDigTheOPS said:

any clue if this could happen relatively soon, or if his appearances at second are super far and few between?

Only when Altuve gets a breather or Altuve is DH'ing

Sitting again against another lefty. I am a new owner so does he always sit vs. lefties?? Marwin is not playing everyday again it looks like or even consistently.. 

4 hours ago, chud12 said:

Sitting again against another lefty. I am a new owner so does he always sit vs. lefties?? Marwin is not playing everyday again it looks like or even consistently.. 

nah, before this year he hit lefties significantly better than righties. it's not a platoon thing

tonight is just a day off, but earlier in the week he was out for a few days with a sore hand. makes his recent PT situation look spotty, but really he's still a nearly-everyday starter when healthy

Just now, wily mo said:

nah, before this year he hit lefties significantly better than righties. it's not a platoon thing

tonight is just a day off, but earlier in the week he was out for a few days with a sore hand. makes his recent PT situation look spotty, but really he's still a nearly-everyday starter when healthy

So he returned From his hand injury 2 start three strAight days than proceeds to only play 3 of the next 6 games. All benched against lefties.  I hope ur right.  

6 minutes ago, chud12 said:

So he returned From his hand injury 2 start three strAight days than proceeds to only play 3 of the next 6 games. All benched against lefties.  I hope ur right.  

ah, you're right, the hand thing was longer ago than i thought. thought there was something that happened to him this week, but i'm not seeing it now

not really worried at this point though, he's been too good not to play... but, hmm, is there someone else they're trying to squeeze in against lefties? marisnick maybe? or is fisher complicating things?

4 minutes ago, wily mo said:

ah, you're right, the hand thing was longer ago than i thought. thought there was something that happened to him this week, but i'm not seeing it now

not really worried at this point though, he's been too good not to play... but, hmm, is there someone else they're trying to squeeze in against lefties? marisnick maybe? or is fisher complicating things?

Yea im kind of pissed about this recent negative development. 

He's slowed down quite a bit and I've considered dropping him for a hot bat / streamer, but the position eligibility stops me from clicking 'drop'.

To be honest, while I don't think there's any way he'll continue to hit at a 162 wRC+, it doesn't seem like he'll regress as hard as most people think. Only issue is playing time (and therefore lower counting stats), as a a line of .290 / 130 R+RBI / 20 HR / 5 SB doesn't seem out of reach. If only he gains MI eligibility in ESPN...

Out of the lu again, I traded for a bench player.. sigh..

4 hours ago, backyardballer said:

He's slowed down quite a bit and I've considered dropping him for a hot bat / streamer, but the position eligibility stops me from clicking 'drop'.

To be honest, while I don't think there's any way he'll continue to hit at a 162 wRC+, it doesn't seem like he'll regress as hard as most people think. Only issue is playing time (and therefore lower counting stats), as a a line of .290 / 130 R+RBI / 20 HR / 5 SB doesn't seem out of reach. If only he gains MI eligibility in ESPN...

Slowed down maybe. Last 21 days he's hitting roughly .300. Every time I look at the Astros lineup I puke. Taking away names they have their highest ops and avg guy hitting 7 or part timing. Beltran and McCann blow. It's old. Marwin is 300 points higher in OPS than Beltran.

Edited by Travdaddy10

He's not regressing because of his play, he's regressing because stopped putting him in the God damn lineup. So frustrating.

Never seen such an embarrassment of riches like the Astros have this year.  They have Marwin, OPS God, can't get in the lineup.  Gattis, 30+ HR potential, can't get in the lineup.  Fisher, potential 5-cat stud, can't even stay with the big club.  This is a team we will look back on for years and go "whoah..."

4 hours ago, JJ1223 said:

Never seen such an embarrassment of riches like the Astros have this year.  They have Marwin, OPS God, can't get in the lineup.  Gattis, 30+ HR potential, can't get in the lineup.  Fisher, potential 5-cat stud, can't even stay with the big club.  This is a team we will look back on for years and go "whoah..."

I would think Marisnick and Aoki are replaceable but that is just me.  Give their AB's to Fisher and Gonzalez. I mean couldn't Fisher play LF/CF thus giving them a even better offense overall?   Keep using Marwin to spell multiple guys per week.  Just because something is working doesn't mean it can't get better.

Edited by beauso79

5 minutes ago, beauso79 said:

I would think Marisnick and Aoki are replaceable but that is just me.  Give their AB's to Fisher and Gonzalez. I mean couldn't Fisher play LF/CF thus giving them a even better offense overall?   Keep using Marwin to spell multiple guys per week.  Just because something is working doesn't mean it can't get better.

Oh, I am with you 1000000%.  Fisher should be an every day player over guys like Aoki and Jake.  Gattis and Marwin should both be starting 3/4 games.  But, hey, that's why they get paid the big bucks and I get s--- salary to sit at a desk, right?

21 hours ago, chud12 said:

Out of the lu again, I traded for a bench player.. sigh..

Yeah, I finally dropped him. Not playing enough to set and forget. Not working out when I want to drop him in for my 2B/3B/SS (either not playing or he plays but has an off day). Also, there are a few other guys on the wire (Chris Taylor, Hernan Perez) that I would just as soon have if I really find I need a swiss army knife guy. 

So he is not starting again, is the manager really going 2 force me to drop this dude after I traded for him 2 weeks ago?? smh.. 

8 hours ago, chud12 said:

This situation sucks. 

$hituation

Edited by 2ndCitySox

Finally in the lineup, protests his benchings with a three-run dong. That's how you do it.

3-run blast on a first pitch fastball

I'm hearing whispers of people dropping him. I can't let go of someone who has been this productive, even with less playing time than a full-timer.

He's really coming into his own with that power stroke, and the plate discipline has been among the best in baseball. 

Combine that with the Astros potent lineup, Marwin's unique flexibility, his terrific season so far, and the fact that they are an injury away from him playing pretty much every day.... and it's a wonder that he is being dropped at all. 

After having to run around the bases  with the strenuous homerun trot, I'd probably give him a breather and substitute someone in there. For sure at least sit him in the next two games