terminator10

Jeff Hoffman Outlook 2017

1 hour ago, Flyman75 said:

I'm streaming him but I'll be dropping him in a 12-team mixed. He won't be one of my top 6 SP, and I don't really want a starter that I don't feel comfortable puttng in my lineup for half his starts. 

I cut him in my 15-teamer last week because I don't think the talent is great enough to neutralize the Coors effect to a point where he won't be doing a lot of damage to your ratios. He hasn't been added by anyone since but I imagine someone will scoop him to stream tomorrow. 

14 hours ago, Baur10 said:

If you're not starting him against SF at SF, you really shouldn't own him

I never understood these types of comments. Is it deliberate hyperbole or do you really believe this?

14 hours ago, Baur10 said:

If you're not starting him against SF at SF, you really shouldn't own him

3 minutes ago, GrapeJuice said:

I never understood these types of comments. Is it deliberate hyperbole or do you really believe this?

The logic is if not starting against the Giants away from Coors what team is he worth starting against?

8 minutes ago, GrapeJuice said:

I believe if you don't have enough confidence in the guy to start him away from Coors against a bad team he probably isn't worth a roster spot. That's all. I gotta imagine anyone who owns him would start him outside some very specific circumstances, otherwise what's the point?

17 minutes ago, B&F said:

The logic is if not starting against the Giants away from Coors what team is he worth starting against?

It's a great matchup, probably the best possible matchup. But lineup moves don't exist in a vacuum. I'm not benching Darvish, Carrasco, Wood or Berrios just because Hoffman is playing against the Giants.

It has nothing to do with confidence, it has to do with each owner's options.

Edited by GrapeJuice

2 hours ago, GrapeJuice said:

It's a great matchup, probably the best possible matchup. But lineup moves don't exist in a vacuum. I'm not benching Darvish, Carrasco, Wood or Berrios just because Hoffman is playing against the Giants.

I mean I'm sure there are weird situations where due to line up restrictions, sure I'd understand benching him.  But the guys question was "if" owners were starting him and if it was a "safe start".  My only point being if you're going to choose to sit him vs SF, he's probably not even streamer material let alone worth owning.  

That is not really what was asked, and that type of decision doesn't belong on this forum, it belongs on Bench Coach Help. I almost responded the same thing. It's an extremely high quality post because it teaches a man to fish rather than fishes for him. Most fantasy players have no idea why they are rostering players other than "This player has a high own %." or "This is the hot pickup." Then a rookie has one bad start and they come to the board so some one else can manage their fantasy baseball team. This forum has gone down in quality, it used to have good conversation but now people just want to be told how to draft the top 20 players in baseball. If a sleeper or FA pickup doesn't perform like Kershaw or Trout people lose their minds complaining. The post he responded to contributed nothing it was "tell me what is the consensus to start" that belongs in Bench Coach Help.

Edited by mdford

47 minutes ago, mdford said:

That is not really what was asked, and that type of decision doesn't belong on this forum, it belongs on Bench Coach Help. I almost responded the same thing. It's an extremely high quality post because it teaches a man to fish rather than fishes for him. Most fantasy players have no idea why they are rostering players other than "This player has a high own %." or "This is the hot pickup." Then a rookie has one bad start and they come to the board so some one else can manage their fantasy baseball team. This forum has gone down in quality, it used to have good conversation but now people just want to be told how to draft the top 20 players in baseball. If a sleeper or FA pickup doesn't perform like Kershaw or Trout people lose their minds complaining. The post he responded to contributed nothing it was "tell me what is the consensus to start" that belongs in Bench Coach Help.

Well, I guess it was my post that started this, and it wasn't a bench coach question...or at least wasn't intended to be. I picked him up as a streamer and decided to get a feel for how owners felt about him against a weaker opponent. He was already in my lineup for tomorrow, so it wasn't a solicitation for advice. I had no intentions of removing him unless someone responded that his arm fell off. In retrospect, I should have worded my post differently. 

17 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

Well, I guess it was my post that started this, and it wasn't a bench coach question...or at least wasn't intended to be. I picked him up as a streamer and decided to get a feel for how owners felt about him against a weaker opponent. He was already in my lineup for tomorrow, so it wasn't a solicitation for advice. I had no intentions of removing him unless someone responded that his arm fell off. In retrospect, I should have worded my post differently. 

Yeah I didn't take it that way either when I responded. Not sure how or why this turned into a thing. 

Looking forward to his next start. Despite the clunker I've still been impressed. 

He's has one bad game so far, which to me was an obvious sit to begin with. I would question starting pretty much every pitcher v Arizona in Coors, much less a rookie. Hopefully he can keep it rolling.

Well, if this guy does end up being rosterable ROS I guess we can start looking for Ubaldo 3.0  another 7 years from now. 

I spot started and dropped him right after the lock because even if he throws a perfect game, I won't be starting him in Coors vs. CIN.

I`m rolling him out there, acquired him last week basically as a throw in mainly because I looked ahead and saw this start and his solid peripherals, gonna watch his start tonight before I decide on his future on my team.

I picked him up this morning after he was raged dropped and never picked up.  I had forgotten he was dropped until today, but at the very least I'll enjoy his start tonight and go from there.

It's a keeper league, so if he does pitch like he should tonight, he could be used as an extra chip in a trade since I already had 5 starters (6 if you count Bumgarner).

Anyone trusting him with two home starts (Cin & CWS)? Not the toughest matchups but it is still Coors

3 hours ago, beauso79 said:

Has this guy had control issues in the past?

Looking at his minor league numbers, doesn't really look like he had control issues at any level. And watching this game, most of his misses were very close, wasn't wild. Dude looks very good and if he wasn't in Coors, he would be a must buy. 

How do you guys feel about Hoffman? his last 35 innings (6 games after his hot start) he has 14 walks, 19 K's and 23 Earned Runs allowed, 39 hits allowed. 

3 hours ago, Under500Forever said:

How do you guys feel about Hoffman? his last 35 innings (6 games after his hot start) he has 14 walks, 19 K's and 23 Earned Runs allowed, 39 hits allowed. 

Nasty curve . But , needs to throw it a whole lot more .

Like most Rockies pitchers he just can't pitch at home.

10 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

Like most Rockies pitchers he just can't pitch at home.

And like most Rockies pitchers, his offense bails him right out