PBR me ASAP

Josh Doctson 2017 Season Outlook

Alright, I just finalized a trade for Doctson in my dynasty league. I traded one of my two 3rd rd picks in 2018 and got Doctson and a 6th Rd this year. 

I did this trade because Doctson is in a great position to produce this year and was a top 5 WR coming in to the draft last year. I took a gamble, now i will wait and see if it pays off. 

19 minutes ago, PBR me ASAP said:

Alright, I just finalized a trade for Doctson in my dynasty league. I traded one of my two 3rd rd picks in 2018 and got Doctson and a 6th Rd this year. 

I did this trade because Doctson is in a great position to produce this year and was a top 5 WR coming in to the draft last year. I took a gamble, now i will wait and see if it pays off. 

Seems like robbery to me. Doctson' upside alone is worth more than a 2018 3rd rounder, and you got an additional 6th rounder as well. 

Even if he finishes as a WR4, he's well worth a 2018 3rd. We don't yet know if he's bad...he simply hasn't played yet. 

Not commenting on your deal, but while Cousins and the Washington offense should be great this year, but it's tough seeing how Doctson gets a lot of volume when he may be playing 3rd or 4th fiddle to Reed, Pryor and (even) Crowder.  Then what happens (in 2018 and beyond) when they don't sign Cousins to a long term deal??

Edited by Rolling Thunder

34 minutes ago, Rolling Thunder said:

Not commenting on your deal, but while Cousins and the Washington offense should be great this year, but it's tough seeing how Doctson gets a lot of volume when he may be playing 3rd or 4th fiddle to Reed, Pryor and (even) Crowder.  Then what happens (in 2018 and beyond) when they don't sign Cousins to a long term deal??

Colt McCoy to Doctson?

Josh Doctson will play the Z receiver role manned by Pierre Garçon last season.

Garçon led Washington in targets and catches. Doctson is coming off a lost rookie year due to repeated setbacks in each of his Achilles' tendons, but his potential has never been in doubt. He offers upside in the late rounds of fantasy drafts. We still like Jamison Crowder to compete for the team lead in catches with Jordan Reed. Deep threat Terrelle Pryor will vie for the lead in yards.

Source: Washington Times
Jun 11 - 4:06 PM

Jamison Crowder will play in two-receiver sets this season.

Crowder mainly played in three-receiver passing situations the past two seasons, but the Redskins now view him as a full-time player. With Terrelle Pryor at X, Crowder will play Z with Josh Doctson entering when Washington uses 11 personnel. "We’ll utilize Jamison and try to get him more involved," coach Jay Gruden confirmed. "He’s an excellent player, dynamic player. He just continues to prove every day, why we like him so much. He can run just about anything you ask him to run." Crowder is the early favorite to lead the Redskins in catches.

Source: ESPN.com
Jun 12 - 1:51 PM

I'm guessing the more recent blurb (with Crowder playing the Z in 2 WR sets) is the right one....

Edited by Iron-cock

He could also be playing the Z and head in the game in certain situations.

Redskins played over 50% of snaps in 3 WR sets.

As for the other packages, what do yall think will happen on the goal line?

I'm genuinely asking to see if people think differently than me.

If I'm a coach at the goal line, I'm gonna probably leave my 5'8 guy on the sidelines and play big around the end zone.  A 6'2 guy that can jump out of the room seems more appealing to me down there than a 5'8 guy.  Reed, Pryor, Doctson... MAN, Cousins could just throw jump balls with those dudes hanging out in the end zone.  

Most teams like to play big around the end zone.  I'm aware that Crowder had a lot of TDs last year and did get 1 TD from about 10 yards out, but that was against Saints whom everyone exploited that secondary, especially their 3rd string corners nickel corners.  Most of those TDs came from much further out and just involved Crowder beating dudes for 6.

Edited by Dreams And Dwightmares

6 hours ago, Iron-cock said:

Josh Doctson will play the Z receiver role manned by Pierre Garçon last season.

Garçon led Washington in targets and catches. Doctson is coming off a lost rookie year due to repeated setbacks in each of his Achilles' tendons, but his potential has never been in doubt. He offers upside in the late rounds of fantasy drafts. We still like Jamison Crowder to compete for the team lead in catches with Jordan Reed. Deep threat Terrelle Pryor will vie for the lead in yards.

Source: Washington Times
Jun 11 - 4:06 PM

Jamison Crowder will play in two-receiver sets this season.

Crowder mainly played in three-receiver passing situations the past two seasons, but the Redskins now view him as a full-time player. With Terrelle Pryor at X, Crowder will play Z with Josh Doctson entering when Washington uses 11 personnel. "We’ll utilize Jamison and try to get him more involved," coach Jay Gruden confirmed. "He’s an excellent player, dynamic player. He just continues to prove every day, why we like him so much. He can run just about anything you ask him to run." Crowder is the early favorite to lead the Redskins in catches.

Source: ESPN.com
Jun 12 - 1:51 PM

I'm guessing the more recent blurb (with Crowder playing the Z in 2 WR sets) is the right one....

They are probably both right.  

Crowder likely to be the Z in 2 WR sets (unless around the end zone IMO) and Doctson the Z in the 3 WR sets.  Crowder played the slot (Y) last year.  I expect him to be lined up in the same place (Slot / Y) again in 3 WR sets again this year.

Yeah I would expect Crowder to be in the slot if they're all on the field.  Just through it was interesting/funny to see those blurbs so close together.

26 minutes ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

If I'm a coach at the goal line, I'm gonna probably leave my 5'8 guy on the sidelines and play big around the end zone.  A 6'2 guy that can jump out of the room seems more appealing to me down there than a 5'8 guy.  Reed, Pryor, Doctson... MAN, Cousins could just throw jump balls with those dudes hanging out in the end zone.  

Pryor, Doctson, Reed, Vernon Davis with Samaje Perine as the RB.   If the defense sends in goal line have the TE's line up as WRs like the pats do, if the defense send in a smaller package just play the TE's on the line and smash the ball in with Perine.

EDIT:  Crowder would be on the sideline, getting the Gatorade ready for when they score.

Edited by Iron-cock

24 minutes ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

Redskins played over 50% of snaps in 3 WR sets.

Most teams like to play big around the end zone.  I'm aware that Crowder had a lot of TDs last year and did get 1 TD from about 10 yards out, but that was against Saints whom everyone exploited that secondary, especially their 3rd string corners nickel corners.  Most of those TDs came from much further out and just involved Crowder beating dudes for 6.

Yep.

They specifically drafted Doctson to be a red zone weapon.  He's going to be on the field near the goal line. 

Off the top of my head wasn't he targeted at least 5 times in the end zone last year in limited reps? 

I think Doctson is a perfect dynasty buy or hold.  He may not do much this year because he is basically the fourth option but Pryor is on a 1 year deal, Crowder seems like more of a high volume PPR gem #2 that could use a taller compliment, and Reed could be out of the league at anytime due to concussions.  A lot of WRs still take a year or two to breakout and Doctson checks a lot of the boxes where he should have a low price and should get his chance at the end of this year into next year.  I like him to become a better fantasy starter than Kevin White, Meridith, Corey Coleman, Laquon Tredwell, Breshard Perriman, Tyrell Williams, Will Fuller, John Brown, Devin Funchess, or any current Ram, 49er, or Jets WR prospect.

8 hours ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

"Redskins played over 50% of snaps in 3 WR sets. As for the other packages, what do yall think will happen on the goal line?... If I'm a coach at the goal line, I'm gonna probably leave my 5'8 guy on the sidelines and play big around the end zone.  A 6'2 guy that can jump out of the room seems more appealing to me down there than a 5'8 guy. ..."

The ability to go over people is exactly what they didn't have in Jackson or Garcon, while Pryor & Doctson pose legit threats along the end line. But instant separation guys (Reed & Crowder) are just as lethal, especially when that inside defender has to honor run first. Samaje Perine was also brought in to help their conversion rate near the goal. Watch out for him, great low center & leg drive, rarely denied at the collegiate level. As for Crowder, I agree with everyone else, I suppose there are plays they can run for him, but I don't know about anything that's contested on the perimeter. The CS likes both these guys a lot.      

13 hours ago, 96mnc said:

Yep.

They specifically drafted Doctson to be a red zone weapon.  He's going to be on the field near the goal line. 

Off the top of my head wasn't he targeted at least 5 times in the end zone last year in limited reps? 

According to PFR he was targeted 3 inside the 20 twice inside the 10 in 2 games. You can tell kirk was ready to use him early and often.

The only problem is he failed to catch any target, but how much his lingering injury pains were a factor remains to be seen.

another waiver wire target or bench stash as the season starts and we see how the skins use all og their new skills players. Dude is on my day to day radar

Docston! We got Docston here! [looks around] See, nobody cares. 

He's been doing well early in camp, which is technically his first training camp. Good to see him healthy. He was apparently schooling Breeland all day as well, although Breeland was apparently a bit under the weather. 

I dunno, maybe the cream will rise to the top here at some point during the season. I really liked his college tape. He's free falling in drafts, so I just grabbed him at 16.1 in an FFPC league. 

I think I like this guy a bit more than Kevin White, who has a similar ADP right now, but it's pretty close. White was on pace for 76 grabs before going down in week four. It's unlikely Doctson will get that kind of volume in Washington, but then again, maybe White won't either this year. Of course, that kind of stuff is hard to say with flyers. I like both in the right spot I guess. If White was still on the board, I might've taken both at the turn, with the hope of hitting on one of them.

Hopefully Doctson stays healthy though and starts pulling stuff like this in the pros:

1 hour ago, jetfan1983 said:

Docston! We got Docston here! [looks around] See, nobody cares. 

Not many people are going to get that reference. Well done. 

Doctson is the big unknown this year. There is alot of talent in the passing game for targets and when u account for regressions because the defense is better and the running game improved from last year, difficult to say what Doctson will be able to do.

Definiyely a lottery pick but I prefer taking kevin white at this point based on i know he will have a larger part of the target share of the bears  than doctson on the skins

Edited by dashoe

If you watched the few games Doctson was able to play in last year, he did well.  And Cousins really looked for him when he was in the game.  It actually looked like they were forcing him endzone jump balls.  Not sure if that was Cousins' doing or the coaches.  But this guy has incredible potential in this offense.

10 hours ago, Experienced Rookie said:

Not many people are going to get that reference. Well done. 

giphy.gif

I was really hyped about Doctson last year but for some reason , I smell a B.Perriman/K.White situation. We haven't even seen a full game out of this guy. When he did play, he was on a snap count.

Also, aren't you guys worried about B.Quick? I feel like these guys are both basically competing for the same job 

4 hours ago, Nguvocity said:

Also, aren't you guys worried about B.Quick? I feel like these guys are both basically competing for the same job 

According to this writer, Quick has been "largely invisible" so far. 

Rotoworld echoed that sentiment ten days ago, saying Ryan Grant was ahead of him.

597e92c3affe8_1(2)-min.jpg.160cb1879507ef39747d52cf13c0e97b.jpg

At this point though, I would imagine Crowder and Pryor are the bigger concerns here. Crowder is being projected by some for 100+ receptions and Pryor rightfully is seen as someone who can top 1200 receiving yards with Cousins at the helm. With Jordan Reed commanding the seams, it's hard to imagine much pie left for Doctson. Frankly, he probably needs a face plant from Crowder, and/or Reed to be carted off to really wake up with value. It's unlikely but possible.

He's a talented player who needs some guys ahead of him to go away to get the necessary targets. It'll be interesting to see what happens, particularly if he can even stay healthy. So far so good though thru the first few days of camp. 

Edited by jetfan1983

Rotoworld echoed that sentiment ten days ago, saying Ryan Grant was ahead of him.

At this point though, I would imagine Crowder and Pryor are the bigger concerns here. Crowder is being projected by some for 100+ receptions and Pryor rightfully is seen as someone who can top 1200 receiving yards with Cousins at the helm. With Jordan Reed commanding the seams, it's hard to imagine much pie left for Doctson. Frankly, he probably needs a face plant from Crowder, and/or Reed to be carted off to really wake up with value. It's unlikely but possible.

He's a talented player who needs some guys ahead of him to go away to get the necessary targets. It'll be interesting to see what happens, particularly if he can even stay healthy. So far so good though thru the first few days of camp. 

I dont think doctson can cut through . reed+crowder are favorites and pryor is a smart vet looking to re-establish his star looking to prove because he didnt make it as a QB, he wasnt a fluke at wr and who knows exactly how to talk and work with the QB. Doctosn is essentially  a 50% rookie still learning. I don't see kirk peppering him with targets unless there is an injury.

55 minutes ago, dashoe said:

I dont think doctson can cut through . reed+crowder are favorites and pryor is a smart vet looking to re-establish his star looking to prove because he didnt make it as a QB, he wasnt a fluke at wr and who knows exactly how to talk and work with the QB. Doctosn is essentially  a 50% rookie still learning. I don't see kirk peppering him with targets unless there is an injury.

Yea. Hard to argue with this. I think Pryor will probably be good too. 80-1200-9 is totally in his range of season-end lines.

Crowder is probably good too. That said -- and despite knowing a lot of you guys here think PFF is kinda dumb (honestly, I see a lot of merit in that opinion too haha) -- Crowder didn't grade out all that great last year for them for some reason (71.8). 

Reed however is definitely one concussion away from the glue factory. So there are logical scenarios where Doctson gets thrust into volume. It's just not terribly likely. Still, it'll be fun to watch play out. As of right now, I'm only very minorly invested in this guy's future. The FFPC Draft Expert format allows you to gamble on these types of guys pretty stress free due to the 28 round, optimal lineup setup. Doctson is much more of a (example) "week five top FA pickup headliner" due to the 16-20 player roster size format of most leagues, making it difficult to carry fliers like this for too long. 

Edited by jetfan1983

9 hours ago, jetfan1983 said:

I always just search news for my guys specifically on google as RW seems to just post what they want sometimes and not everything. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/was.247sports.com/Bolt/Josh-Doctson-impresses-at-Redskins-Saturday-session--105619511/Amp

Seems like he's been getting better and warming up now as the offseason goes along.