fawkes_mulder

Luis Robert - OF - CHW

I think he has much bigger HR potential than Cutch based on the juicy baseball and his freakish raw power + he's got Billy Hamilton speed which will hopefully translate into more than 20-30 SB/season. At the moment he's not the wiliest baserunner, but that's often the case with guys who have insane speed. Hopefully he can progress in that area and not turn into another Yoan Moncada who has all the speed in the world but poor enough base stealing instincts that he hardly even attempts to run anymore. Cutch also has the better hit tool and had very good ability to lay off junk pretty much from the moment he was a big leaguer (career chase rate nearly 10% lower than league average), which is not something Robert does. He's more of a free swinger that has difficulty containing his aggressive mentality. I have a hard time seeing him ever topping 65-80 walks in a single season. To me he's more of a rich man's Mike Cameron than the next McCutchen.  

Other than Tatis, this is the next guy I think has a real shot of joining the 40-40 Club. So fantasy wise, the ceiling is obviously stratospheric. Pulling for an August call-up which suddenly doesn't seem far-fetched. 

• Like 1

I agree with the Mike Cameron comp. kind of see that as his baseline.  If his hit tool improves he is a difficult comp because the physical profile is so elite. 

22 minutes ago, GJDHouse said:

I agree with the Mike Cameron comp. kind of see that as his baseline.  If his hit tool improves he is a difficult comp because the physical profile is so elite. 

This made me spit my coffee out. Robert will be WAY better than Mike Cameron ever dreamed about being. This kid will rank right up there with Acuna/Soto as one of the top youngest dynasty players a year or two from now. Cameron never ranked that high in dynasty. I was a huge Cameron fan. I drafted him, and kept waiting & waiting for him to put it all together, and it never really happened. I remember once (before the internet) when the only fantasy knowledge you could get was either TV or a magazine, that he was on the cover of a fantasy magazine that was titled "Mike Cameron - Launch Time". The excitement level was up there, and it kind of fizzled. He was a good player, but he never made it to greatness like some predicted.

Yup, this is definitely the guy I get real excited about and convince myself he's coming up late summer burning a roster spot to stash him, even though he definitely isn't. Happens every year.

1 hour ago, Team Dynasty said:

This made me spit my coffee out. Robert will be WAY better than Mike Cameron ever dreamed about being. This kid will rank right up there with Acuna/Soto as one of the top youngest dynasty players a year or two from now. Cameron never ranked that high in dynasty. I was a huge Cameron fan. I drafted him, and kept waiting & waiting for him to put it all together, and it never really happened. I remember once (before the internet) when the only fantasy knowledge you could get was either TV or a magazine, that he was on the cover of a fantasy magazine that was titled "Mike Cameron - Launch Time". The excitement level was up there, and it kind of fizzled. He was a good player, but he never made it to greatness like some predicted.

Mike Cameron finished his career with 50 WAR, which is about 10 WAR short of the hall of fame threshold.  Go back and look at his year-to-year stats from 1999-2006.  And now consider a “rich man’s version” of that, which is what Sleepy said.  With all due respect, you have to read closer so that threads don’t get derailed.

• Like 7

I mean Jimenez they didn’t but didn’t the White Sox call up Moncada or Giolito sooner than we expected. I remember Moncada was a late season addition not April

8 minutes ago, terminator10 said:

I mean Jimenez they didn’t but didn’t the White Sox call up Moncada or Giolito sooner than we expected. I remember Moncada was a late season addition not April

Yeah people seem to be forgetting that. This is also a different White Sox organization. They seem to be moving from a rebuild to competing as soon as next year. A mid August call up is very possible IMO, especially if the team stays within striking distance if a wild card spot.

13 hours ago, Tommy Lee Jones said:

Mike Cameron finished his career with 50 WAR, which is about 10 WAR short of the hall of fame threshold.  Go back and look at his year-to-year stats from 1999-2006.  And now consider a “rich man’s version” of that, which is what Sleepy said.  With all due respect, you have to read closer so that threads don’t get derailed.

Yeah, exactly. Cameron is one of the most underrated players of the last 25 years IMO. He's first ballot Hall of Very Good. At his peak he was a 4-cat guy whose value took a hit fantasy wise bc of his BA. 25/25 and 85/85 rough average over his age 26-30 years. Handful of 5+ WAR seasons. if Robert is a rich man's version of that we're looking at something like a 5-7 year peak average of 30/30 95/95 w/ a BA that can flirt with .300 in his best seasons. Other than Adell or Franco, I don't see another hitting prospect with that kind of fantasy ceiling. That's 2017-2019 Lindor level production for reference. I think it's hard to project a better ceiling than that without going a little overboard. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sleepysock said:

Yeah, exactly. Cameron is one of the most underrated players of the last 25 years IMO. He's first ballot Hall of Very Good. At his peak he was a 4-cat guy whose value took a hit fantasy wise bc of his BA. 25/25 and 85/85 rough average over his age 26-30 years. Handful of 5+ WAR seasons. if Robert is a rich man's version of that we're looking at something like a 5-7 year peak average of 30/30 95/95 w/ a BA that can flirt with .300 in his best seasons. Other than Adell or Franco, I don't see another hitting prospect with that kind of fantasy ceiling. That's 2017-2019 Lindor level production for reference. I think it's hard to project a better ceiling than that without going a little overboard. 

Robert is absolutely at least close to an equal hitting prospect to Adell, The upside is not THAT different (though I do wish he walked more), and I say this as someone usually very weary of the typical toolsy and speedy glove first CF

Edited by mocha4313

First AAA Series:

.438 (7-16)/4/2/8/1 

3 HBP(!!!)

Edited by Baur10

On 7/13/2019 at 11:10 PM, sleepysock said:

Exactly. Cameron was a stud and he never reached the heights of what people hoped. If Robert is a rich mans version of that, you have a hall of famer. 

My “it’s time to stash in redraft leagues” alarm is going off. If Eloy hits the IL, you have to think the Sox will at least consider making the move. Even if it doesn’t happen now, it seems like this kid is going to obliterate AAA pitching and put himself in the conversation for an August call up. There’s just too much fantasy potential to allow another owner to grab him.

30 minutes ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

Eloy hurt. Any chance he gets the call?

Even if Eloy is out long term, they won't call up Robert unless/until they deem him ready. That team is lousy with 4th OFers like Tilson, Cordell, Jay, Garcia, Palka, etc that they can plug in if Eloy is out a while. 

And by deem him ready, I mean decide whether or not to play service time games. Robert is obviously ready. Another HR and a triple tonight. Dude's OPS this year is like 1.100. 

I desperately want him up too but I just can't see it. The Sox have zero incentive to start his clock early. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Baur10 said:

I desperately want him up too but I just can't see it. The Sox have zero incentive to start his clock early. 

It’s probably been brought somewhere in this thread, but they DID bring up Kopech last year under similar circumstances.  I doubt it too, but it’s not impossible.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Cesare13 said:

It’s probably been brought somewhere in this thread, but they DID bring up Kopech last year under similar circumstances.  I doubt it too, but it’s not impossible.

Team history is really important for these kind of things do that's definitely a solid point. 

Maybe I'm just a bit jaded by the current CBA/service time manipulation that's rampant in the MLB right now. The Sox have definitely been more progressive in that sense.  Still every team is forced to play the game to some extent and it's hard to justify starting his clock this year. 

I definitely hope I'm wrong. Kid is going to be a monster. 

4 hours ago, sleepysock said:

They also did it with Moncada if I recall. So not impossible. 

Moncada was given the kris Bryant treatment and came up late April if I remember correctly. But I could be wrong. But for some reason Eloy was up day 1 this’s year.  He was up 3 weeks before extra control despite everyone clamoring for him to play last year for half a season.  This current form of white Sox does promote prospects, although not in a predictable pattern.  And since we’re not scouts, we have no idea what they really do need or do not need to work on from a non fantasy POV. Probably bears mentioning that their prized prospects giolito, Eloy and moncada all struggled in the bigs, giolito and moncada for 2 years.  and kopech lasted about an hour before a serious injury.  It won’t be the be all/end all, but that might factor into the decision of when and if we see our shiny new toy.

Edited by Cesare13

3 hours ago, Cesare13 said:

Moncada was given the kris Bryant treatment and came up late April if I remember correctly. But I could be wrong. But for some reason Eloy was up day 1 this’s year.  He was up 3 weeks before extra control despite everyone clamoring for him to play last year for half a season.  This current form of white Sox does promote prospects, although not in a predictable pattern.  And since we’re not scouts, we have no idea what they really do need or do not need to work on from a non fantasy POV. Probably bears mentioning that their prized prospects giolito, Eloy and moncada all struggled in the bigs, giolito and moncada for 2 years.  and kopech lasted about an hour before a serious injury.  It won’t be the be all/end all, but that might factor into the decision of when and if we see our shiny new toy.

Eloy was up because he accepted a contract that bought out his Arb years. My assumption is that they are trying to leverage Robert in the same fashion right now. That, IMO is the only road block when it comes to him seeing MLB time this year.  

• Like 4

You guys really think chances are slim he gets called up with Eloy on DL ?

He wasn’t in the knights lineup today.......where’s that speculation alarm?!?

6 minutes ago, Cesare13 said:

He wasn’t in the knights lineup today.......where’s that speculation alarm?!?

giphy.gif

• Haha 2

They're likely going to give Robert the same treatment they gave Eloy last year when everyone wanted Eloy up on the second half.