fawkes_mulder

Luis Robert - OF - CHW

It all depends on his health.  If he stays healthy they will bring him up next year.  He is going to murder Single A until he is moved up to AA, and then I expect him to struggle a little bit.

• Like 1

His tools and ceiling are insane. He could become something halfway between Mike Cameron and (young) Barry Bonds. Maybe only Wander has a similarly generational ceiling among prospects (apologies to Vlad).

He's going to be in AA w/in a month. Quite possible he has a chance to be on the big league club out of ST (if he signs a deal) or late April/early May next year. If he stays healthy he's going to be the main buzz guy this season. 

• Like 1

last year in minors he hit zero Hrs in 50 games. this year in 4 games has hit 3. I doubt he stays in A ball much longer and hopefully lets his tools carry him back up the prospect heap. Not sure if Wander or Robert or Valera gets top billing but I can see all 3 top 10 in midseason rankings.

• Like 1

Robert has to prove he can stay healthy. Clearly the tools are there. I don’t think he ever really recovered last year.  Would love to see him in AA by June. Would be a great step forward and prime him for a 2020 debut. 

Yeah he kept ******** up his hand last season (and then again in ST this year). Would explain the power drain. They need to start fining him every time he slides head-first. 

Should he be owned in a dynasty with 10 bench spots by no minor league spots? In other words, in a league where prospects need to be playable in the current season or will be an instant star next year. I have guys like Brendan Rodgers, Wander, Luzardo and Cavan Biggio and didn’t have Robert on my radar because he didn’t hit for power and I’m in a points league. I’d he a dynasty must-own?

Edited by TheForearmShiver

I consider him a must own. he went 2-4 with a HR and a 2B and his BAVG dropped to 524 today. He was CS so it wasn't all great. I am surprised he isn't owned in all leagues already with the power speed tools. 

He has first round tools. He was paid the highest signing bonus for an international for a reason. Guy could be elite if his work ethic plays out. I in answer to the dynasty question. I own him in a league with 7 bench spots and is only the top 120 players are kept. 

after 3-4 yesterday with a single double and triple he is up to 475 BAVG. maybe it is time to see him at AA?

11 hours ago, hailfire4 said:

after 3-4 yesterday with a single double and triple he is up to 475 BAVG. maybe it is time to see him at AA?

I agree. I think he's going to have a meteoric rise like Acuna & Soto.

• Like 1

Listened to the Razzball prospects broadcast yesterday. They definitely talked about how much he oozes athleticism, but they also were cautious about the fact that his K/BB ratio is still bad and he's striking out about 30% right now. A lot of Yoan Moncada in his game right now.

Forget where I heard it but I've also heard it pointed out he's not pulling the ball much, which the team might view as a concern that as he moves up the ladder, he'll get chewed up by higher velocities and that might be why they haven't been more aggressive with him, yet, this year. There are reasons for optimism, but also for caution.

What are people suggesting the fantasy upside is here?   I've seen various power ranges of 30 homers (30-30 potential) all the way down to 15-20 homers.  That would still great if there were those 30 steals in there but a bit of difference when deciding to stash a guy for the year.    Also I am not sure if I read this here or not but is service time not an issue for international signees??  

Robert has as much power/speed potential as anyone in the minor league system.  He has 30-40 home run power and he has 30-40 steal potential.  His straightline speed is Billy Hamilton fast and he is 6'2" 210 lbs.  What remains to be seen is if his hit tool will translate into .275 or .240.  I don't think many people project him to be a .300+ hitter, but from the limited data set, he can make hard contact, and he certainly is able to turn a few infield outs into singles.

Fangraphs has him 60/60 on speed and 65/65 on raw power.  Most scouts I have read put his speed at either 75 or 80 after watching him play live.  He had a standup triple a few nights ago on a hit to the left center gap that wasn't bobbled.  He just outran the ball.

7 minutes ago, GJDHouse said:

Fangraphs has him 60/60 on speed and 65/65 on raw power.  Most scouts I have read put his speed at either 75 or 80 after watching him play live.  He had a standup triple a few nights ago on a hit to the left center gap that wasn't bobbled.  He just outran the ball.

not sure which scouting reports give him 75/80 speed.. i'm not saying you're wrong, just that i've not seen any reports of 80 grade speed. can you provide links?

• mlb.com - 65
  • prospectslive - 60
  • 2080 - 60
  • fangraphs - 60

That was my point.  None of the scouting reports had him at anything above 65.  Can't find the tweets right now, but different live scouts stating 80 speed.  Here is a quick vid from last year and one from this year

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, GJDHouse said:

That was my point.  None of the scouting reports had him at anything above 65.  Can't find the tweets right now, but different live scouts stating 80 speed.  Here is a quick vid from last year and one from this year

well, yeah, i think we're saying the same thing just from different sides of the coin.

i don't doubt that he's got 80 speed, just that most reputable scouting outlets who have seen him in person (or watched professional videos) haven't stated this. not that i don't trust those twitter personalities, but surely some of the big-time outlets have watched the same videos and would comment if they think they have woefully underestimated his speed.

That first video is incredible btw.  Routine groundball to second, no bobble by the defender, and he is able to beat the throw because is the 1b bunny hops.  HE should have been out by 2 steps even with a hop.

I mean vladdy has a 65 or 70 hit tool according to many scouts. Which feels nuts for the most talented bat to ball prospect we’ve seen this generation. I think a lot of them just cap their ceilings at 70. 

2-3 again today BAVG up to 489. Plus he had a SB and reached on HBP. He was CS again which puts his season totals at 5 SB and 2 CS. rating his tools is hard since he has missed so many games with injuries. Lets just say watch him before you rate him. Nothing to see here folks

3 hours ago, hailfire4 said:

2-3 again today BAVG up to 489. Plus he had a SB and reached on HBP. He was CS again which puts his season totals at 5 SB and 2 CS. rating his tools is hard since he has missed so many games with injuries. Lets just say watch him before you rate him. Nothing to see here folks

Jeez, some pretty enticing stuff going on here.  I am really contemplating dropping Trammell or Kiriloff for him for one of my 2 NA slots but think it's better to see how he does in double A ball first.  Possible I lose him by then but feel safer with the other two.    I think if his k/bb ratios were better he would be grabbed by now.   He feels like the biggest lottery pick out there right now but am not sure it's worth it...

3-5 again today with a HR and a 2B. BAVG still .482 up to 6 steals and 6 HRs. he won the Carolina League Player of the week last week and has prolly clinched it already for the second week. Maybe they are leaving him in Winston Salem for a teams future promotion Luis Robert bobblehead night maybe?

• Like 2

Luis Robert 162 Projections based on his 13 game Single A start to the year :)

.482 AVG

.525 OBP

.946 SLG

1.4771 OPS

50 Doubles

25 Triples

75 Home Runs

75 Steals

199 Runs

212 RBI

I would say he is off to a decent start. 🤣🤣🤣

• Like 4