fawkes_mulder

Luis Robert - OF - CHW

I laughed when I saw people ask if he could get called this year, but now I'm not so sure. 

Yes the WS have no reason to, service time wise (damn you stupid super 2 rules), but he's impressing recently. 

Service time and Super 2 aren't really concerns anymore unless you want to keep Robert down until this time next year. Which seems unlikely at this point. I'd suspect he's get some at bats in AAA first, but he's looking real good so far.

10 minutes ago, Jericho said:

Service time and Super 2 aren't really concerns anymore unless you want to keep Robert down until this time next year. Which seems unlikely at this point.

They may keep him down until some point in April next year anyway though for another year of team control. They did it with Jimenez this year after he was clearly ready the majority of 2018.

14 game hit streak, .352 at AA, .390 overall on the year with 14 HR and 18 SB. Top 5 prospect. I think he makes the roster OD 2020 and is a top 30 OF next year. ******** monster. 

• Like 1

After a rough patch, gets back on track with a 5-7 doubleheader.  

wRC+ of 169

I would say he has acquitted himself well thus far at a tough AA park/league.  I kind of figure he will see AAA pitching pretty soon if he continues this pace. 

He hit a double and a triple in the AA all star game yesterday. was the MVP of the game as well. The second season kicks off for real tomorrow. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, hailfire4 said:

He hit a double and a triple in the AA all star game yesterday. was the MVP of the game as well. The second season kicks off for real tomorrow. 

The limited video I've seen, his incredibly quick rise through the minors, his body type and explosiveness... reminds me of another guy...

Oh yeah, my second favorite player. He goes by the name of Ronald, and sabametrics (that very much have their place) are simply incapable of quantifying one thing! The "it" factor & eyeball test. Lord have mercy, Luis reeks of "it"!!! :D

• Thanks 1

Just saw that Luis Robert moved up to #5 overall on MLB Pipeline.  I always thought he had a big jump in him...nice to finally see it happen.  

In his last 4 games:

16 total bases
6 runs
6 rbi
3 steals

Not  too shabby....

• Thanks 1

2-4 with a double and 2 SB, 1 R, BAVG up to 323 officially smoking hot yet again. I predict after the futures game a promotion to AAA is in store

• Like 2

He's giving me those Acuna/Vlad/Eloy feelings where I'm getting early impatience about the call-up that may not come for another year :(

2 hours ago, bigbossman said:

CALL THIS BEAST UP

They really should! Considering they weren't supposed to be in it still, and the 25% + spike in attendance, why the hell not! Get Eloy to convince him that signing a new contract and having millions to play with is fun and never gets old! The only reason he's not up, is the extra years and club financial gains... so just rip him off like O. Albies and make that point mute. Seriously though, he doesn't need to be the face and savior like Vlad Jr., and IMO he'd do just fine in the MLB despite his youth and inexperience stateside. He's a phenom, and destroying MiLB pitching isn't going to push him to become what he's capable of. 

• Like 1

1-2 with a HR already tonite. in 300 plate appearances in A and AA Robert has 16 HRs and 29 SB 21 doubles 6 triples. on the bad side 17 BB 74 K and 8 CS. all in all a productive year

4 hours ago, PapaBravo224 said:

Who is his MLB comparison?  Ceiling and Floor player...

What kind of full season numbers is this kid capable of next year 

I'm getting a Starling Marte vibe from sweet Lou

23 minutes ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

I'm getting a Starling Marte vibe from sweet Lou

IMHO, this is blasphemy... Think of another young Pirate, he was very dynamic for many years, leads off for PHI now. Marte comps are lazy... there, I said it. (No offense DLB, but what you said is has been said numerous times.) This kid could MVP, not just be a bad average steals guy w/ some pop. This kid has an Acuna ceiling, he has an "it" factor Marte never had, nor ever will. Marte is a cheat as well. 

12 hours ago, LarryChip10 said:

IMHO, this is blasphemy... Think of another young Pirate, he was very dynamic for many years, leads off for PHI now. Marte comps are lazy... there, I said it. (No offense DLB, but what you said is has been said numerous times.) This kid could MVP, not just be a bad average steals guy w/ some pop. This kid has an Acuna ceiling, he has an "it" factor Marte never had, nor ever will. Marte is a cheat as well. 

Idk, I think Marte is a pretty good comp if everything shakes out well for Robert. Seems to have more speed than pop, k-rate isn’t crazy high, but would love to see the walk rate come up a little bit. At first glance his BABIP seems to be high at .385, but looking at his minor league profile, he’s always carried an above average rate. I love Robert long term, especially considering the dearth of speed in today’s game, but I don’t see the rush in trying to get him to the show this year. The low walk-rate guys tend to struggle in their first taste of big league action. I’d love to see him get called up to AAA soon and see how he performs, then have him up for good after Super 2 next year. It’s really awesome to see him rebound this year after an injury-marred season last year.

I was going to chime in this reminds me of a young Andrew McCutcheon

• Like 1

He just got promoted to AAA - "349/.401/.618 with 16 homers, 53 RBI and 29 stolen bases in 75 games between High-A Winston-Salem and Double-A Birmingham."

Any chance he's fantasy relevent this year?

34 minutes ago, seditious3 said:

Any chance he's fantasy relevent this year?

With this potential move, absolutely.  I thought for sure the White Sox would play the service time manipulation game (and still certainly could I suppose), but I think a promotion to AAA means a call-up later this summer is definitely possible if he continues to dominate.  At the very least - if he doesn't majorly struggle - I think he now has a shot at opening day roster next year and semi worst case an April promotion.  Again, hinging on he doesn't suddenly start struggling mightily.

This is pretty surprising too me as I thought he'd get a AAA promotion later this summer for them to (try and) justify a super-2 June promotion next year.  Excited to see what he does in AAA.

Edited by Tarheels_2433
  • Like 1