Sign in to follow this  
SpecialFNK

Paul DeJong 2017 Outlook

Cardinals purchased the contract of INF Paul DeJong from Triple-A Memphis.

DeJong, 23, was off to a .294/.331/.541 start with 11 homers at Memphis this season after slugging 22 bombs at the Double-A level last year. He doesn't have great plate discipline, but DeJong offers pop and defensive versatility. He could see some starts with Kolten Wong (elbow) sidelined and will be making his major league debut when he gets into a game.

he's been playing for Wong.

DeJong will start at second base and bat seventh Wednesday against the Dodgers.

Added 5:04 pm (EST)
rw_logo_white_transparent_optimize_small.png
DeJong has kicked off his major-league career with three hits in eight at-bats, and it appears manager Mike Matheny is content to keep the youngster in the lineup while his bat remains hot and Kolten Wong (elbow) remains on the disabled list. He'll pick up his third straight start at the keystone Wednesday.

This guy has serious thumb in his bat and being a better defender will help him stay in the llineup.

1 hour ago, dinhead said:

This guy has serious thumb in his bat and being a better defender will help him stay in the llineup.

Corking his bat with human thumbs? That's a serious accusation...

But seriously folks, if he plays well he's going to keep playing with Diaz re-tooling in the minors. Even when Diaz returns, he could be a super-utility.

Hes at 8 games for SS eligibility...just 2 more, today and tomorrow.

Seems he has a good chance to become the new everyday SS for the Cards who have soured on Diaz big time.  That gives him everyday ABs and a chance to settle in without the pressure of wondering is this the day they send me back down.

Started a Villar over him this week ?. Any chance they move him up in the line up?

Edited by JBord25

1 hour ago, JBord25 said:

Started a Villar over him this week . Any chance they move him up in the line up?

I think he is comfortable in that spot and hopefully mattheny does not move him. He is a rookie and less pressure in that spot lets him swing with a purpose. Yes he does not walk alot but he did have 2 or 3 walks this week when he did not have any. So he is seeing the ball better and taking more walks. He might steal that job since he is a better defender than Diaz.

Another longball.  Kid is on fire, and Diaz is going to have to earn his job back.

9 for 10 with four doubles and three home runs this weekend.

126 ABs, 9 HRs, 20 RBIs in the majors so far. .317, 336, .611.

Combined 22 HRs between AAA and majors so far.

Screw the 4/38 BB/K ratio. I'm in.

He was a producer on the original 90210 Beverly Hills. Created the show with Aaron Spelling. Also worked directing Melrose Place 

4 hours ago, tonycpsu said:

Another longball.  Kid is on fire, and Diaz is going to have to earn his job back.

Daiz defense is the reason that he lost the job and not the bat. Dejong has been better defensively and with his bat going like it was in spring training and in minors Diaz might not get it back. His bat is for real...

51 minutes ago, AllNoAll said:

Is this guy worth rostering?

To quote my own post from above, he has 22 hrs between AAA and majors and slugging .600ish in the bigs so far. If you're like me and were running out the likes of A. Cabrera at SS, why not try?

29 minutes ago, Caelum said:

To quote my own post from above, he has 22 hrs between AAA and majors and slugging .600ish in the bigs so far. If you're like me and were running out the likes of A. Cabrera at SS, why not try?

No A.Cabrera her, but Story and Peraza. Good advice.

Also, while he has an alarming 4/38 K/BB ratio overall, he's at 3/6 in a span covering 27 ABs in July. Might just be a temporary stretch of being locked in, but with a need at any MI spot and a reasonable drop, there was no way I was letting him sit on the wire in any of my leagues where I needed help in that spot, just in case this is a story like the guy he replaced, Aledmys Diaz, gave us last year (who, incidentally, isn't exactly beating on the door to return, hitting .171 with 0 walks in 36 plate appearances in AAA).

Edited by Caelum

9 minutes ago, svtballa said:

ROS?

Depends how many more times he plays the Mets

12 minutes ago, svtballa said:

ROS?

For sure.  It looks like he took away Diaz' job as the everyday SS in STL and has been hitting the crap out of the ball.  What else is needed.

1 hour ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

For sure.  It looks like he took away Diaz' job as the everyday SS in STL and has been hitting the crap out of the ball.  What else is needed.

he's gonna need to work on his walks and OB skills.  His BABIP is not super sustainable.  Kid is a talented hitter  but he has close to zero plate discipline.