Didgital

Sean Newcomb 2017 Outlook

2 hours ago, lipitorkid said:

Nobody weighed in on his last start so I just want to note the following: 

• The kids throws gas. He was hitting 100/101 in the first inning. If they ever want to move him to the bullpen he'd be a star. 
  • His new delivery looks effortless. Very few moving parts. It's crazy how much velocity he gets from looking like he is just doing soft-toss. 
  • The HRs were unusual for him, lately he's been suppressing HRs. 
  • The walks were expected. If he could limit them to 2-3 a game, for now, that would be great. 
  • If he were calling almost anywhere but Coors south I'd feel much more confident in him in a Dynasty league. 

I'm very intrigued by this kid. Very intrigued. 

Just want to point out the gun was hot that night for whatever reason. In that same game, Sam Freeman was clocked at 102mph.

Mark Bowman‏Verified account @mlbbowman  Jun 17
Statcast's data shows the adjustment to last night's radar gun readings. Newcomb's fastball topped at 95.3 mph. 

Right now, Colon is scheduled to start Wednesday, with Newcomb starting Thursday against the Giants.

Kind of interesting, but Suntrust hasn't been that great of a hitters park so far. According the park factors, it has been more pitching friendly.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/stats/parkfactor

Edited by vmo1059

Colon's Wednesday start scratched. Newcomb will start tomorrow.

David O'Brien‏Verified account @DOBrienAJC  2m2 minutes ago
More
 Newcomb and rest of starters will move up a day, be on regular rest. But possible rainout tonight could force doubleheader Wednesday.

6ip, 3 hits, 1 er, 3ks 1bb

He's staying up, in the rotation, right...? Has to

6 hours ago, Gumbo_Ghost said:

6ip, 3 hits, 1 er, 3ks 1bb

He's staying up, in the rotation, right...? Has to

No way they send him down.  His stuff is great and he has pitched well so far. 

They can't send down Sean NewLester after his three straight quality starts. I wish he were still an Angel but whatever. I've been waiting to see him pitch in the pros for a few years now. He looks very solid out there and seems to have some swag/poise. 

Im really surprised that he hasnt buried himself with the walks.  Hes shown far better control in the show than he ever did in the minors. 

I can't remember who it was, but I was listening to a baseball announcing team the other day talking about how certain guys up their game when they make it to the pros either they play better because: they were bored, they feel like a pro so there's that confidence, they are more focused with the spotlight, better coaching in the pros, they were tinkering with secondary pitches in the minors but now they use their best stuff. 

Newcomb is supposedly staying in the rotation even with Fatman Colon back next week. But there's no 'next start' lined up for Newcomb yet at this point. His last start was Wed the 21st. What gives? Are the Braves stupid enough to be still discussing this?

3 hours ago, k.k. said:

Newcomb is supposedly staying in the rotation even with Fatman Colon back next week. But there's no 'next start' lined up for Newcomb yet at this point. His last start was Wed the 21st. What gives? Are the Braves stupid enough to be still discussing this?

Man dude, that's harsh, borderline blaspheme speaking about Bartolo in that manner.  So he has a bit of a weight problem, I need to shed 4-5 lbs myself.  I remember meeting him when he played for the White Sox and shaking his hand, firm grip and I told him that I was elated that he was on the Sox and how it was nice to have a pitcher of his caliber on the squad.....he didn't understand a word I was saying but he knew I was being complimentary and he smiled and nodded his head politely.  I actually thought he was washed up then and was just trying to be nice but here we are 7 years and 82 wins later...

Bartolo is a God and they will erect statues of him in the DR if they haven't already......Viva El Bartolo!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Hangry Bird

4 hours ago, k.k. said:

I haven't heard a single thing about him being removed from the rotation yet. That would be completely inept. My guess is they will go with the temporary 6 man rotation that they mentioned the first time Colon was supposed to come back. I would assume the Braves want Colon to put together a few good starts and bump up that trade value.

Now looks like Newcomb is set up to start on Tues vs. SD.

In AAA this year he had a 74:33 K:BB over 57.2 IP. So far in the majors he's 13:7 K:BB over 18.1 IP. 

Basically it seems like the walks could become a problem. 

9 hours ago, Fiveohnine said:

In AAA this year he had a 74:33 K:BB over 57.2 IP. So far in the majors he's 13:7 K:BB over 18.1 IP. 

Basically it seems like the walks could become a problem. 

yeah, if you comb through his MILB game logs, he's great at not allowing hits and runs, but gives up buttloads of walks. Like, mountains of walks. 

Based on that alone, I wasn't too interested in him. But he looked so fantastic in that first start, I couldn't resist the add.

Based solely on how great his arm looks, I'm not going to cut him until the results suggest it would be foolish not to.

I prefer to gamble on the high upside guy, rather than the Andrew Moore type (who?) who comes out of nowhere and gets results, without great pedigree. 

Here's to a strong outing today versus San Diego. 

The thing with walks is that they suggest the larger issue of command problems. But unless you really watch a guy (I haven't watched Newcomb), you can't really know for sure. It could be that he gets squeezed by umps at bad times or just tries to nibble a little too much. But if it's his command, that's a big red flag.

7 minutes ago, Fiveohnine said:

The thing with walks is that they suggest the larger issue of command problems. But unless you really watch a guy (I haven't watched Newcomb), you can't really know for sure. It could be that he gets squeezed by umps at bad times or just tries to nibble a little too much. But if it's his command, that's a big red flag.

just found the section of Fangraphs where you can see balls/strikes in each outing

Newcomb:

NYM: 70 strikes - 90 pitches

MIA: 67 strikes - 106 pitches

SFG: 59 strikes - 80 pitches

196 strikes in 276 pitches, so he throws a strike 71% of the time. That seems solid, no? 

Today is a big game for him. If he struggles, it's going to be much easier to drop him. If he throws a gem, his ownership % is going to skyrocket.

Feels like the dating game... this is the start where we either become a thing, or go our separate ways. 

Edited by ChicksDigTheOPS

I know it's the Padres lineup, but he's been great through 5 innings tonight. Hasn't issued a walk yet (no jinx), the guy has always had some plus stuff and if he can command it he is a pretty strong play going forward. 

I watched every one of Newcomb's pitches in the Braves/Padres game.

Really nothing bad to say.  Repeated his delivery REALLY well.  Fastball command was on point.  I know it was the Padres but he was spotting his fastball so well I am not sure any lineup could have done a lot of damage against him.  Padres hitters could not catch up to fastball which was sitting 93-94. 

Curveball was very good.  He has a looping curveball like Madison Bumgarner's.  Struck out 3-4 batters with the pitch.  Missed a few times but overall it was a positive.  

Only threw a few changeups.  Induced one ground ball out with the pitch.

When runners were on he showed good poise.

Definitely worth picking up in leagues with Quality Starts as a category.

Edited by B&F

Right now at the age of 24 (he just turned 24 fifteen days ago) he would be the Angel's best pitcher if he was on their staff. He's a rookie pitcher. There are going to be hiccups, but he has had four starts at the MLB level and thrown 6 innings in each start. Two of those starts he has 0 ER, two of those starts he had only 1 BB. You didn't have to draft him and he probably cost you little if you had to use FAAB to snag him. His delivery has very few moving parts, it looks almost effortless. 

Ride the train. 

Onboard! Woo baby Kershaw.

next start at OAK apparently, Sunday.

2 hours ago, Kamura said:

Onboard! Woo baby Kershaw.

next start at OAK apparently, Sunday.

Yahoo says his next start is next week Tuesday vs HOU then Sunday @ WAS.

Was considering selling him high right now and banking on him having two rough outings then being able to grab him off the wire again but I'll def hold if he is @ OAK- where did you see this?

1 minute ago, 6Kill said:

Yahoo says his next start is next week Tuesday vs HOU then Sunday @ WAS.

Was considering selling him high right now and banking on him having two rough outings then being able to grab him off the wire again but I'll def hold if he is @ OAK- where did you see this?

ESPN have it in their player blurb, knowing ESPN, it could be wrong.

Spin: 

With six scoreless frames in his first career road start, Newcomb now sits with a sparkling 1.48 ERA and 1.07 WHIP through four major-league outings (24.1 innings). The most impressive (and surprising) part of this has been his control -- Newcomb did have four walks in one start, but he's issued a total of four walks in his other three starts combined spanning 18.1 innings. He posted a 5.2 BB/9 with Triple-A Gwinnett prior to his promotion. Newcomb lines up to start Sunday at Oakland.

I believe with Bartolo coming back today they are going 6 man rotation and I thought I read Newcomb goes Tuesday, could be wrong though.

11 hours ago, lipitorkid said:

Right now at the age of 24 (he just turned 24 fifteen days ago) he would be the Angel's best pitcher if he was on their staff. He's a rookie pitcher. There are going to be hiccups, but he has had four starts at the MLB level and thrown 6 innings in each start. Two of those starts he has 0 ER, two of those starts he had only 1 BB. You didn't have to draft him and he probably cost you little if you had to use FAAB to snag him. His delivery has very few moving parts, it looks almost effortless. 

Ride the train. 

He's one of those pitchers, when you first see him pitch it's this instinctive "woah!"

Big dude (6'5 -- 255)  <--- basically the same height-weight listing as Mark McGwire! (though that's debatable)

and that smoooooth delivery from the lefty, as minimal effort as you'll see. but it zips in there at 94-95. Combine that with the big curveball, and his potential is really great. 

4 hours ago, neljak25 said:

I believe with Bartolo coming back today they are going 6 man rotation and I thought I read Newcomb goes Tuesday, could be wrong though.

yep, Scott White just tweeted that Newcomb will start next week.

If you guys haven't watched much of Newcomb yet, check out his 8 strikeouts from last night.

I know it's the Padres, but visually, that's some high-end domination. 

Edited by ChicksDigTheOPS