Light Tower Power

Yordan Alvarez 1B HOU

10 hours ago, knuckleheads said:

I disagree that White's situation will not be directly tied to Alvarez' promotion.  For instance I think if White is traded it will be done so to get Alvarez to the majors, and Tucker will have to wait.  Just the way I see it...

That would just be a procedural move though, which is my point about it being indirect. Yes, that move would open up a spot on the 25 man roster, but Alvarez wouldn't be coming up to replace White - White has made just 4 starts in the field all season (and is out of the lineup yet again tonight). Alvarez would still need to take someone else's spot as a positional player. For example, if Alvarez takes over as the primary 1B, then Gurriel is forced to be the primary DH, something Luhnow doesn't want, as he prefers a rotating DH to frequently spell veterans (such as Brantley, who at DH in tonight's lineup).

They could accomplish opening up a spot on the 25 man roster not just by trading/waiving White, but also someone like relief pitcher Framber Valdez, OF Tony Kemp, C Max Stassi, etc. Any of them would open a spot. If White is still on the team when Alvarez is called up, White wouldn't block him as White's current role isn't what Alvarez's would be.

Edited by Dark One

40 minutes ago, Dark One said:

That would just be a procedural move though, which is my point about it being indirect. Yes, that move would open up a spot on the 25 man roster, but Alvarez wouldn't be coming up to replace White - White has made just 4 starts in the field all season (and is out of the lineup yet again tonight). Alvarez would still need to take someone else's spot as a positional player. For example, if Alvarez takes over as the primary 1B, then Gurriel is forced to be the primary DH, something Luhnow doesn't want, as he prefers a rotating DH to frequently spell veterans (such as Brantley, who at DH in tonight's lineup).

They could accomplish opening up a spot on the 25 man roster not just by trading/waiving White, but also someone like relief pitcher Framber Valdez, OF Tony Kemp, C Max Stassi, etc. Any of them would open a spot. If White is still on the team when Alvarez is called up, White wouldn't block him as White's current role isn't what Alvarez's would be.

We're all just speculating here, but I think we're going to see Alvarez get most of his at bats at DH when he comes up. RIght now in AAA, he's played 8 games at 1B, 15 games in LF, 1 game in RF, and 11 games at DH. He's likely a below average defensive player at either first or the outfield and probably a worse defender than Brantley in the OF or Gurriel at 1B. I think Brantley, Springer, Altuve, and Bregman will still get days as the DH. On those days Alvarez will get some time in the OF, some time at first, and some time on the bench against tough lefties.

1 minute ago, meh2 said:

We're all just speculating here, but I think we're going to see Alvarez get most of his at bats at DH when he comes up.

It's more than just speculation on my part though - Luhnow himself stated that he's not calling Alvarez up to DH. The team also doesn't have an urgent need to get his bat in the lineup, start his service time clock and stall his defensive development - they need him playing in the field on most days.

I shared the same opinion you had on Hiura as it made perfect sense - he had a struggling player blocking him, the Brewers are in a tight divisional race and they had a clear need for a lineup spark where every win is crucial - they ultimately didn't care about the service clock aspect as the need was there. I definitely believe if the Astros were in the same situation you'd see Alvarez called up (with possibly Tucker getting the first crack given how he's hit in May, but that's a tougher call).

13 minutes ago, TheForearmShiver said:

Why wouldn’t you bring him up to DH? If he’s not much of a fielder, wouldn’t that be all the more reason to have him DH?

Because they want to develop him as a position player to maximize his value to the team. If they had a clear need to forego his defensive development and get his bat into the lineup I believe they would have done so already.

Astros manager A.J. Hinch told reporters on Wednesday that Tyler White's playing time will be "more sporadic" going forward.

White has struggled as of late, and came into Wednesday's game against Detroit hitting just .179 in the month of May. Yuli Gurriel should continue to see the bulk of starts at first, and it's worth pointing out that the Astros have Yordan Alvarez pummeling the baseball at Round Rock. White is a drop candidate at this point of the season.

May 15, 2019, 7:27 PM ET
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, meh2 said:

RIght now in AAA, he's played 8 games at 1B, 15 games in LF, 1 game in RF, and 11 games at DH

4 hours ago, Dark One said:

If they had a clear need to forego his defensive development and get his bat into the lineup I believe they would have done so already.

If they are worried about his defensive development, why has he played 1/3 Of his games at DH?  Don't get me wrong, I couldn't even tell you the last rookie brought up to simply DH - but that's a weird 'developmental' strategy to start him at DH if he simply needs to work on fielding isn't it?

36 minutes ago, jahweedum said:

If they are worried about his defensive development, why has he played 1/3 Of his games at DH?  Don't get me wrong, I couldn't even tell you the last rookie brought up to simply DH - but that's a weird 'developmental' strategy to start him at DH if he simply needs to work on fielding isn't it?

Again, just going by Luhnow's own words, they want him to come up in the field. That said, Tucker is "blocking" him from LF full time at Round Rock. It's a good problem to have - but they have a "problem" of depth right now.

• Thanks 1

Maybe the Stros package Tucker plus a arm or bench bat to SF for MadBum thus opening up a slot for Alvarez. Although I don’t see Hinch doing much tweaking to what he’s got going so far it’s a winning formula.

13 minutes ago, Hatfieldodger said:

Maybe the Stros package Tucker plus a arm or bench bat to SF for MadBum thus opening up a slot for Alvarez. Although I don’t see Hinch doing much tweaking to what he’s got going so far it’s a winning formula.

Tucker is a top 10 prospect in all of baseball. There is little chance he’s going to be dealt and zero chance he’s dealt for 3/4’s of a year of a declining MadBum. If you’re stashing Yordan, be patient, his time will come in the near future. He’s an impact bat and the Astros know this. Yes, they’re winning games and yes, they’re scoring runs. But they are still going to make moves to improve their major league roster. There’s 3/4 of a season left and they aren’t taking anything for granted. They’re going after homefield advantage throughout the playoffs. There are incentives to running away with the division, like resting players toward the end of the season. He’ll be up soon.

• Like 2

Not that it changes much in regards to Yordan's call up, but I've seen a few articles suggesting that maybe the Super 2 cutoff was early this year given how many guys we've seen get the call this past week or so. Interesting theory at least

• Like 1

Managers and general managers often fib when talking about minor leaguers , how they aren’t going to call a guy up and then 2 days later he gets the call. I can see them calling Yordan up to DH regardless of what was said by the manager when he was I assumed pressed with a question about it. 

4 hours ago, Baur10 said:

Not that it changes much in regards to Yordan's call up, but I've seen a few articles suggesting that maybe the Super 2 cutoff was early this year given how many guys we've seen get the call this past week or so. Interesting theory at least

Yeah there's a lot of speculation there super two date is actually going to end up being in mid to late May. It's coming from people who presumably know more about this than me, so it's interesting.

Yet another encouraging clip. My apologies if it’s been posted.https://www.khou.com/article/sports/extra-bases-podcast/extra-bases-yordan-alvarez-comparisons-how-about-two-former-hr-kings/285-1609809c-f488-4099-81be-b5a3c707f6b7

For those that don’t want to watch the video:some scout and radio host compared Alvarez to Ryan Howard and David Ortiz.  60 bat, 65 power, which they said roughly leads in the bigs NOW,AS IS.  And I get that’s it’s not an exact science,but we can dream.

• Like 3

17th.  Was down in the count (1-2) and fouled off 5 balls on a full count before belting another one.  Now this is just getting stupid Houston...

• Like 1

The bat is more than ready, no question about that. I definitely wish the Astros had an easy/clear cut path the way Hiura/Rodgers/Riley did.

The message to all of Houston Astro minor leaguers is no matter how u play or what u do if we need u we will call u up. Otherwise just mark time with the other 150 minor leaguers with zero chance of ever being called up. I think stagnate like Tucker has is the outcome when prospects are doomed to the minors forever.

1 hour ago, Cesare13 said:

Yet another encouraging clip. My apologies if it’s been posted.https://www.khou.com/article/sports/extra-bases-podcast/extra-bases-yordan-alvarez-comparisons-how-about-two-former-hr-kings/285-1609809c-f488-4099-81be-b5a3c707f6b7

For those that don’t want to watch the video:some scout and radio host compared Alvarez to Ryan Howard and David Ortiz.  60 bat, 65 power, which they said roughly leads in the bigs NOW,AS IS.  And I get that’s it’s not an exact science,but we can dream.

Thoroughly enjoyed that.  Great share...

On 5/12/2019 at 6:04 PM, hailfire4 said:

it is called prospect fatigue. First you have to wait. Then you have to hope they don't Carter Kieboom themselves back to AAA in a month. Even the sure fire studs Eloy, Vladdy, Tatis are not playing like top 200 overall players. I do play in a keeper and loading your team with redraft players is as much a crapshoot as a bunch of minor leaguers. Minor leaguers make much better trade chips though. All of Houston's minor leaguers have to know that if they deserve a promotion a job will be there for them. Otherwise what is the point? Going to the Round Rock HOF?

tatis' stats when he hit the IL: .300/.360, 6hr, 6sb, 14r, 15rbi

• Like 2

What do they possibly hope to get for Tyler White that is making them afraid to DFA him? I get that they want Yordan to play the field and use the DH spot to rotate their regulars and give them rest , but can they not make Yordan a part of that rotation? Is Tyler White some defensive whiz that makes it worth keeping him over Yordan because his defense is just THAT much better? None of this makes any sense to me. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, aMediumPace said:

What do they possibly hope to get for Tyler White that is making them afraid to DFA him? I get that they want Yordan to play the field and use the DH spot to rotate their regulars and give them rest , but can they not make Yordan a part of that rotation? Is Tyler White some defensive whiz that makes it worth keeping him over Yordan because his defense is just THAT much better? None of this makes any sense to me. 

I suppose they look at every player as a chip that is not to be thrown away.  However, something simply has to be done...