Light Tower Power

Yordan Alvarez 1B HOU

Not sure why KL is being bashed so much.  What person in this world admits they are wrong about anything? 

3 minutes ago, B&F said:

Not sure why KL is being bashed so much.  What person in this world admits they are wrong about anything? 

://twitter.com/ProspectJesus/status/1126848165980844032

Edited by blinkfan77
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, B&F said:

Lots of people. Keith Law does too, just not about this yet.

Never mind.  

Moving on.

Edited by B&F
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, cs3 said:

A wise man once said actions speak louder than words

His actions (or lack thereof) do tend to back up those words though. Even RW's blurb on him today indicates that while the situation is ridiculous, there's no clear spot for him right now.

39 minutes ago, B&F said:

I was wrong to ever put any trust in KL's competency.

See?  It isn't so hard to admit when you're wrong.  

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Dark One said:

His actions (or lack thereof) do tend to back up those words though. Even RW's blurb on him today indicates that while the situation is ridiculous, there's no clear spot for him right now.

You know I'm strong about my belief that he'll be up soon and I respect your opinion as well, but here is how I see it playing out: Through the first 44 games of the season, White played dh 16 games, Springer 9 games, Brantley 8 games, Kemp 4 games, Altuve 2 games, Bregman 2 games, Diaz 1 game, and Reddick 1 game.  Adding up the games out of White, Kemp, Diaz, and Reddick at dh, that's 50% of games that can be replaced with Alvarez at dh. The other 50% of games could still allow Brantley, Springer, Altuve, and Bregman to cycle through the dh spot at the same frequency. There would no longer be a need for the others to dh with Alvarez in town (White will be designated for assignment). On the days when Alvarez isn't dh'ing, I think we'll see him in left field (when Brantley or Springer dh's) or at first base. This rotation of him splitting time at dh, left field, and first is what he's already doing at AAA anyway. I'm not sure why anyone would expect him to suddenly be a full time position player in the majors.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, meh2 said:

You know I'm strong about my belief that he'll be up soon and I respect your opinion as well, but here is how I see it playing out: Through the first 44 games of the season, White played dh 16 games, Springer 9 games, Brantley 8 games, Kemp 4 games, Altuve 2 games, Bregman 2 games, Diaz 1 game, and Reddick 1 game.  Adding up the games out of White, Kemp, Diaz, and Reddick at dh, that's 50% of games that can be replaced with Alvarez at dh. The other 50% of games could still allow Brantley, Springer, Altuve, and Bregman to cycle through the dh spot at the same frequency. There would no longer be a need for the others to dh with Alvarez in town (White will be designated for assignment). On the days when Alvarez isn't dh'ing, I think we'll see him in left field (when Brantley or Springer dh's) or at first base. This rotation of him splitting time at dh, left field, and first is what he's already doing at AAA anyway. I'm not sure why anyone would expect him to suddenly be a full time position player in the majors.

This is certainly a reasonable plan (and I like it too) - I believe the problem of him not playing LF full time for Round Rock is due to Kyle Tucker primarily splitting time between LF/RF. I do think if Tucker were promoted/traded you'd see Alvarez play the field full time on a near everyday basis at AAA.

They also have Seth Beer (who was just promoted to AA and has been mashing in his own right) as more of a likely full time DH type (or partial 1B/DH) when he's ready than Alvarez is. He's not overly far from the show either given his age, lower level production to date and college pedigree. It's possible they don't want to stunt Alvarez's defensive growth as they know he's not likely to be a full time DH or 50% DH in the future as he's more athletic than Beer and can bring more to the table than just the bat.

They also have the luxury of current success and a lack of urgency right now with a bit of an embarrassment of riches on the offense side as far as current lineup and near MLB-ready prospects go.

I still like your plan as a fantasy manager of course as a means to call him up in the immediate future. I do know that Brantley has expressed how much he prefers the field to DH'ing (there was a story about it a few months back I believe). So while they'll continue to spell Brantley in the field in an attempt to keep him healthy, it doesn't appear he'll respond positively to an increased DH role (and LF does seem to be where they believe Alvarez will fit best).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dark One said:

This is certainly a reasonable plan (and I like it too) - I believe the problem of him not playing LF full time for Round Rock is due to Kyle Tucker primarily splitting time between LF/RF. I do think if Tucker were promoted/traded you'd see Alvarez play the field full time on a near everyday basis at AAA.

They also have Seth Beer (who was just promoted to AA and has been mashing in his own right) as more of a likely full time DH type (or partial 1B/DH) when he's ready than Alvarez is. He's not overly far from the show either given his age, lower level production to date and college pedigree. It's possible they don't want to stunt Alvarez's defensive growth as they know he's not likely to be a full time DH or 50% DH in the future as he's more athletic than Beer and can bring more to the table than just the bat.

They also have the luxury of current success and a lack of urgency right now with a bit of an embarrassment of riches on the offense side as far as current lineup and near MLB-ready prospects go.

I still like your plan as a fantasy manager of course as a means to call him up in the immediate future. I do know that Brantley has expressed how much he prefers the field to DH'ing (there was a story about it a few months back I believe). So while they'll continue to spell Brantley in the field in an attempt to keep him healthy, it doesn't appear he'll respond positively to an increased DH role (and LF does seem to be where they believe Alvarez will fit best).

just curious, does Law have Seth Beer in his Top 100?  Would be hilariuos considering hes a worse defender than Alvarez

37 minutes ago, jb_power said:

just curious, does Law have Seth Beer in his Top 100?  Would be hilariuos considering hes a worse defender than Alvarez

Heh - no he doesn't (though that would indeed be pretty funny). To be fair though, he's not on many (if any) top 100 lists out there as 1B/DH types rarely get top 100 fanfare until they do the types of things Yordan and Andrew Vaughn are doing now at the plate in addition to not being likely to end up as a primary DH. And Yordan of course may end up in the OF anyway - Law definitely should have him in the top 100 at this point for sure, it's ok to be wrong. Hey, if Alvarez were called up next week as @einstein2u predicted above, I'd absolutely love to be wrong on him.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, einstein2u said:

Calling my shot.  May 20th. He is up to start home stand. 

You may be right.  Luhnow's commented today that Alvarez is improving in the field. I suppose that helps him justify his earlier stance that his fielding is going to be the key to getting him up.  Ok Jeff whatever it takes...

“His defense is getting better. I saw him make a couple nice catches,” the GM said. “I think he has the arm strength to stop runners from taking extra bases. I’m curious to find out if he can handle first base. If he can play passable first and left field, that bat will fit nicely into our lineup. It’s important to realize that defense is one of our calling cards, a big part of our equation, and the game speeds up for these kids once they reach the majors.”

https://www.statesman.com/sports/20190517/astros-gm-luhnow-offers-in-depth-opinions-on-express-prospects-being-back-in-round-rock

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

FWIW, Aledmys Diaz is getting an MRI on his injured hamstring this morning. An IL stint could open a spot an the 25 man for Alvarez. Astros could cover second with Tony Kemp and Gurriel until Altuve returns.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, meh2 said:

FWIW, Aledmys Diaz is getting an MRI on his injured hamstring this morning. An IL stint could open a spot an the 25 man for Alvarez. Astros could cover second with Tony Kemp and Gurriel until Altuve returns.

I am betting that will do it.  Luhnow dare not call up anyone else...

Edited by knuckleheads

33 minutes ago, knuckleheads said:

well he does have some MI choices in Mayfield and DeGoti.  Every time I see this thread bumped I'm hoping they've called up Alvarez only to be disappointed

37 minutes ago, knuckleheads said:

Eh not so confident about that but I certainly hope so. We'll see.

As much as I've (we've) been complaining I do trust the Astros to only call him up when they feel they can get him a healthy number of bats. It's frustrating AF when teams call up young guys then sit them 50% of the games (looking at you Colorado).

59 minutes ago, knuckleheads said:

17 minutes ago, Baur10 said:

Eh not so confident about that but I certainly hope so. We'll see.

As much as I've (we've) been complaining I do trust the Astros to only call him up when they feel they can get him a healthy number of bats. It's frustrating AF when teams call up young guys then sit them 50% of the games (looking at you Colorado).

Only half serious with the comment.  Actually, I am trying to will it into existence...

Edited by knuckleheads
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, knuckleheads said:

It also makes kemp more valuable (since he’s one of the candidates everyone wants to see get replaced) as he was the one that came in to play 2B when Diaz went down. Even made a great diving play to save a run for cole.

On 5/17/2019 at 11:00 AM, Rabbit Maranville said:

Hm. It's likely that one of two things is true:

Either Keith Law sucks at his job and can't admit mistakes, in which case you can safely start ignoring him as a prospect evaluator. 

Or-- and hear me out here-- Keith Law is good at his job and has valuable, nuanced information and insight that goes beyond surface-level stats. 

In either instance, continuing to pester him with accusatory remarks about his Alvarez ranking is futile at best. 

Why can't both be true? (Can't admit mistakes, but good at his job)

Edited by Slatykamora
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Wytchclt55 said:

It also makes kemp more valuable (since he’s one of the candidates everyone wants to see get replaced) as he was the one that came in to play 2B when Diaz went down. Even made a great diving play to save a run for cole.

True, it does, although there's no reason for it not to be White when the time comes.  He'll rot on the bench when Alvarez comes up since there won't be any starts for him at DH.  There's no reason to keep a guy who will maybe start once or twice a month, especially in the AL where they don't pinch hit much.  Brantley will likely end up being the primary DH, and obviously he's never sitting beyond the rare day off.

Edited by KilloWertz

Aledmys Diaz pulled with a grade one hamstring strain.

If he goes on the DL ... could it be ? ....

Just here to drool a bit.  Came across this article comparing  vlad to yordan.  It says he hasn’t even hit in the good parks yet in the pcl. Also said this:

“But he isn’t narrowly edging out the competition. The next 5? 183, 177, 177, 175, 175. Meaning he’s 46% higher than even the second place person in the past 14 years!!! (Wrc+)”

heres the complete article https://www.crawfishboxes.com/2019/5/18/18629092/vlad-guerrwho-we-have-yordan-alvarez

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2