Light Tower Power

Yordan Alvarez 1B HOU

Recommended Posts

It's somewhat worth noting that Alvarez is 1 for his last 17. Tucker should get the call and Alvarez  held down until Super 2. Whatever their original plan was for Alvarez probably doesn't change because of Springer's injury. At some point, they still have to do something to get him on the 25 man.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, exaulz said:

It's somewhat worth noting that Alvarez is 1 for his last 17. Tucker should get the call and Alvarez  held down until Super 2. Whatever their original plan was for Alvarez probably doesn't change because of Springer's injury. At some point, they still have to do something to get him on the 25 man.

 

No I don't think the 1 for 17 swoon will even be part of the consideration process.  Not when the kid has raked all year and is still outhitting Tucker by a couple of football fields.  That would be a ridiculous message to send Alvarez.  Nevertheless, I do think Tucker could get the call  strictly based on the fact that he's on the roster already and doing well enough to warrant the callup again.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, exaulz said:

It's somewhat worth noting that Alvarez is 1 for his last 17. Tucker should get the call and Alvarez  held down until Super 2. Whatever their original plan was for Alvarez probably doesn't change because of Springer's injury. At some point, they still have to do something to get him on the 25 man.

Yeah, I agree. I’d love to see him here but I’m 99% certain we see Tucker or Fisher get recalled. Yordan will get the call when Houston thinks Super Two has passed and it will coincide with White getting DFA’d. At this point I’m now expecting first or second week of June. I don’t think White and Alvarez will coexist on the 25 man roster.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, meh2 said:

Yeah, I agree. I’d love to see him here but I’m 99% certain we see Tucker or Fisher get recalled. Yordan will get the call when Houston thinks Super Two has passed and it will coincide with White getting DFA’d. At this point I’m now expecting first or second week of June. I don’t think White and Alvarez will coexist on the 25 man roster.

I still don't get the thought process behind this (people thinking it's ok if they wait until Super Two for Alvarez).  I do if everyone was still healthy and Tucker would still be in AAA, but if they call up Tucker instead of Alvarez, what they do with White is irrelevant if Tucker comes up and does good.  He takes the LF/DH role that Alvarez would have gotten.  The only other possibility would be if they gave up on Gurriel, which I'm skeptical on.  This is all assuming everybody is healthy when they believe Super Two has passed, which has to be in the thought process, not maybe somebody will get hurt and then a spot actually opens up.

I don't mean to continue to be a pessimist here.  I obviously want Alvarez up as much as anybody else, especially given how bad this season has been as a whole, but if Tucker gets called up instead of Alvarez, then it does present a very large issue for playing time for Alvarez.

Edited by KilloWertz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, King_of_Kings said:

 

That’s good news for Yordan owners.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, meh2 said:

Yeah, I agree. I’d love to see him here but I’m 99% certain we see Tucker or Fisher get recalled. Yordan will get the call when Houston thinks Super Two has passed and it will coincide with White getting DFA’d. At this point I’m now expecting first or second week of June. I don’t think White and Alvarez will coexist on the 25 man roster.

 

I basically agree with this take having commented awhile back that White's release will be the key to Yordan's promotion.  Not that this was too difficult to see but I think the Fisher call up does emphasize that when Alvarez comes up it won't be for an injury replacement but "for good".   

I don't know if there is a place for Tucker this year, unless something drastically changes.  I think Alvarez is tied to White so how does Tucker get up without injuries?  IMO Gurriel, and Marisnick are safe and if Kemp were ever moved then Straw would seem to be the guy to replace his utility skills.   I think Tucker gets up in September and is given a real shot in the outfield next year with Alvarez moving to 1b- if not permanently then between there and the OF.  We'll see...

Edited by knuckleheads
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, meh2 said:

That’s good news for Yordan owners.

Yes and no.  Yes because it means Yordan could be called up whenever they decide to give up on White, which could be in a couple of weeks.  No because they could have just called up Yordan now and then DFA'd White when Springer returned from the IL.

That's the thing with them not calling him up now.  It wouldn't have had to be just as an injury replacement.  Oh well I guess.

Edited by KilloWertz
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

at this point it should be clear that Houston is waiting for the super 2. no reason to call up YA just weeks before this that gives them better control for YA. Houston doesn't need YA for offense, even if YA is dominating and shown he deserves a call up.

it sucks but accept that this is reality.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, SpecialFNK said:

at this point it should be clear that Houston is waiting for the super 2. no reason to call up YA just weeks before this that gives them better control for YA. Houston doesn't need YA for offense, even if YA is dominating and shown he deserves a call up.

it sucks but accept that this is reality.

Has it really not passed yet though?  A lot of teams besides the Astros have now called up their major prospects.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, KilloWertz said:

Has it really not passed yet though?  A lot of teams besides the Astros have now called up their major prospects.

 

that is what I had thought, but earlier in this thread it was explained that there is a difference in teams calling prospects to get an extra year before free agency compared to an extra year before arbitration. the super 2 is sometime in June.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, SpecialFNK said:

 

that is what I had thought, but earlier in this thread it was explained that there is a difference in teams calling prospects to get an extra year before free agency compared to an extra year before arbitration. the super 2 is sometime in June.

Then that's surprising that so many teams have already called up their top prospects.  Not that I disagree with it of course since I think this whole thing with Super 2 and all that is a bunch of crap, but still, you would have thought more teams besides ones that don't care at all (Miami) would have waited.

Still extremely disappointing that Alvarez didn't get called up, but maybe partially because this season has been such a disappointment.  It would have been nice to have something like Alvarez getting called up all of a sudden.  I know I've said this already, but oh well I guess (again).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, SpecialFNK said:

 

that is what I had thought, but earlier in this thread it was explained that there is a difference in teams calling prospects to get an extra year before free agency compared to an extra year before arbitration. the super 2 is sometime in June.

 

There's speculation that it was earlier this year given what everyone else has done with their prosects.  No one really knows though

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Baur10 said:

 

There's speculation that it was earlier this year given what everyone else has done with their prosects.  No one really knows though

 

I thought this and did not understand. I'm going now with what bigbossman said earlier in this thread on the bottom of page 17.

On 5/13/2019 at 11:20 AM, bigbossman said:

 

To clarify- SUPER TWO is given to the top 22 percent of players, in terms of service time, for players that have amassed between two and three years in the Majors.


These players are eligible for arbitration in year 3 vs other players who fall outside the top 22 not being eligible until year 4 of their careers...

So it can save the team millions of dollars if the player is very good by not having to jack their salary to avoid the player taking them to arbitration.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It appears that the best team in baseball is actively trying to lose

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Doesnt this mean Tucker is still ahead of Alvarez? Both guys are clearly being held back due to Super 2. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SpecialFNK said:

 

I thought this and did not understand. I'm going now with what bigbossman said earlier in this thread on the bottom of page 17.

 

It's a bit of moving target and no one seems to fully know so it's largely speculation right now based on what other teams have done (I posted an article a while back but don't have the energy to look it back up now).  Regardless it's dumb and I hate it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1-3 tonight stopped his 1-21 slump which dropped his BAVG from 411 to 373 in a week. Even if he gets hot again the Astros didn't call him up the first 6 weeks so why would they do it now?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, hailfire4 said:

1-3 tonight stopped his 1-21 slump which dropped his BAVG from 411 to 373 in a week. Even if he gets hot again the Astros didn't call him up the first 6 weeks so why would they do it now?

 

30 minutes ago, David Aames said:

They didnt call him up because of super 2

It has nothing to do with Super 2, according to some recent comments made by Luhnow. Basically it boils down to him saying there is not an every day spot available for Alvarez right now, which is a clear signal they aren’t ready to part yet with Tyler White. The word he mentioned was “methodical “ and there are no plans to make hasty roster moves that would potentially mess up what’s currently working for the team (1st place, good offense, good defense, etc).

 

Also said Fisher was brought up as a backup OF because he feels Marisnick has earned the chance to start every day in CF. When Alvarez does finally get promoted, they want him in a position where he can play every day. Hinch wants versatility and, for now, HOU apparently feels Alvarez still needs more work in LF.

 

Speculation says he’s gonna push Brantley to DH when he finally comes up, but who knows when in 2019 that’s gonna be. If you’ve stashed this long, you might as well stay on the train until the end. Could be a long ride though, boys.

 

Here’s the full article: https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/texas-sports-nation/astros/article/Astros-stick-to-methodical-plan-Yordan-Alvarez-13896921.php

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Yceman1234 said:

 

It has nothing to do with Super 2, according to some recent comments made by Luhnow. Basically it boils down to him saying there is not an every day spot available for Alvarez right now, which is a clear signal they aren’t ready to part yet with Tyler White. The word he mentioned was “methodical “ and there are no plans to make hasty roster moves that would potentially mess up what’s currently working for the team (1st place, good offense, good defense, etc).

 

Also said Fisher was brought up as a backup OF because he feels Marisnick has earned the chance to start every day in CF. When Alvarez does finally get promoted, they want him in a position where he can play every day. Hinch wants versatility and, for now, HOU apparently feels Alvarez still needs more work in LF.

 

Speculation says he’s gonna push Brantley to DH when he finally comes up, but who knows when in 2019 that’s gonna be. If you’ve stashed this long, you might as well stay on the train until the end. Could be a long ride though, boys.

 

Here’s the full article: https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/texas-sports-nation/astros/article/Astros-stick-to-methodical-plan-Yordan-Alvarez-13896921.php

This sounds more like page 1 in the GM manual about how to dodge questions about gaming the system on your stud prospects. If his ability to handle left field is such a concern why is he spending less than half his time there and spending over half his time dh’ing and playing 1b? Every year we hear these same comments from GMs. I don’t buy it for a second. He’s not going to be a primary position player when he comes up. He’s going to rotate between dh, lf, and 1b, just like he’s doing now at Triple A.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No GM has ever came out and said, 'We are waiting for the super 2 date to pass". At least not that I can remember. They might mention it in hindsite, but not list it as the reason for not calling up a player. 

There was a player a couple years ago that they wanted to see them get in a slump and fight their way out of it. I don't remember who that was. Trout, Harper, Correa, Bryant.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Yceman1234 said:

 

It has nothing to do with Super 2, according to some recent comments made by Luhnow. Basically it boils down to him saying there is not an every day spot available for Alvarez right now, which is a clear signal they aren’t ready to part yet with Tyler White. The word he mentioned was “methodical “ and there are no plans to make hasty roster moves that would potentially mess up what’s currently working for the team (1st place, good offense, good defense, etc).

 

Also said Fisher was brought up as a backup OF because he feels Marisnick has earned the chance to start every day in CF. When Alvarez does finally get promoted, they want him in a position where he can play every day. Hinch wants versatility and, for now, HOU apparently feels Alvarez still needs more work in LF.

 

Speculation says he’s gonna push Brantley to DH when he finally comes up, but who knows when in 2019 that’s gonna be. If you’ve stashed this long, you might as well stay on the train until the end. Could be a long ride though, boys.

 

Here’s the full article: https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/texas-sports-nation/astros/article/Astros-stick-to-methodical-plan-Yordan-Alvarez-13896921.php

Even if the Astros are ready to part with White, White is a bench player who is getting some playing time right now because Altuve and Springer are injured. The Astros aren't calling up Alvarez to replace White on the bench. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.