Light Tower Power

Yordan Alvarez 1B HOU

5 hours ago, WTP333 said:

Now Diaz left today’s game with a hammy 

MRI tomorrow and suppose to go on the IL

9 minutes ago, RBI Sports said:

MRI tomorrow and suppose to go on the IL

Altuve is starting his rehab assignment tonight and should be ready by Wednesday at the latest. They’ll cover 2b with Gurriel and Kemp and keep slogging out Tyler White until their Super Two calendar turns to dollar signs.

On 5/26/2019 at 4:03 AM, Yceman1234 said:

It has nothing to do with Super 2, according to some recent comments made by Luhnow.

Oh, my sweet summer child ... no GM is ever going to come right out and say that they are service-time manipulating someone (not saying that's what is happening, just saying no GM would ever, ever admit it).

Edited by Overlord
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

I'm starting to wonder if holding Yordan all of this time is ever even going to pay off this season. For redrafts, he's feeling more like a potential trade piece or a drop lately. I just don't see the writing on the wall, especially with how the Astros have handled prospects. With Springer going down, I thought there was a chance that at least Tucker might get a call, but we get Kyle Fisher.

I also wonder if the PCL is really just that much of a hitter's haven. There have been a lot of nutty numbers. Kevin Cron for example...

Edited by nlm
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Overlord said:

Oh, my sweet summer child ... no GM is ever going to come right out and say that they are service-time manipulating someone (not saying that's what is happening, just saying no GM would ever, ever admit it).

giphy.gif?cid=790b76115cec7450534a422e63

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think the PCL which was a hitters league in years past with the old ball. But this new ball is obscuring real talent from opportuninal talent due to the juiced ball. Until baseball tones down the super ball pitchers will continue to suffer and 11-8 games are now the norm. But I am starting to think that Yordan may not be in the cards at all this year. No matter what Yordan does he ain't getting promoted and he knows it.

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, hailfire4 said:

I think the PCL which was a hitters league in years past with the old ball. But this new ball is obscuring real talent from opportuninal talent due to the juiced ball. Until baseball tones down the super ball pitchers will continue to suffer and 11-8 games are now the norm. But I am starting to think that Yordan may not be in the cards at all this year. No matter what Yordan does he ain't getting promoted and he knows it.

I won't go that far, but I don't see him up unless the Astros really start to slump, and even then, Tucker would probably be the next man up.

Those holding Yordan may be in for a long ride. I feel like I'm stuck on the train now.

42 minutes ago, hailfire4 said:

He'll be up this year barring injury

• Like 1

1 minute ago, brockpapersizer said:

He'll be up this year barring injury

When do you personally feel he gets the call? I'm personally expecting post-ASB, but maybe I'm being pessimistic. 

9 minutes ago, nlm said:

When do you personally feel he gets the call? I'm personally expecting post-ASB, but maybe I'm being pessimistic. 

It's tough to say.  Even though they play different roles, it's going to depend on who will be up first between him and Tucker, if it's Tucker I do think  there's a chance it may just be a cup of coffee.  Injuries happen though, maybe Springer is out longer and they need more of a punch, you'd think a Yuli/Brantley/Reddick/Bregman  injury pushes up his timetable too.  There also seems like a 0% chance the Astros aren't going to make some trades to clear up the 40 man or just trade a package for Bumgarner or something. There are too many variables for me to guess. I do know that a player raking like this all year, who will probably continue to rake to some extent, is hard to justify keeping down forever. I think worst case scenario he gets a cup of coffee in September, which would make him pointless in redraft.  If I have to guess, I'm going to say around July 15th. 

Edited by brockpapersizer
  • Like 1

I'm thinking June. Baltimore comes to town June 8th, that would be a nice easy pitching matchup. Then Toronto on June 14th. Alvarez vs Vlad. Derek Fisher and Jack Mayfield are just placeholders. 

The June callup is dependent on him heating back up and continuing to outperform Tucker though. 

You never know with teams. Alvarez is clearly a good prospect and he's putting up video game numbers in the minors. Of course, it doesn't help when a lot of players are putting up crazy numbers in AAA. Alvarez is still right there with the best of them, but someone just mentioned Kevin Cron a few posts above and Josh VanMeter was ripping it up until being summoned by the Reds. A bigger issue is likely the fact Alvarez isn't on the 40 man roster. Derek Fisher is, which is probably why he got the call for Springer's injury. So is Kyle Tucker. So that combined with lackluster defense can make it tough. And the Astros are loaded. They could easily just call up Kyle Tucker when they decide to give one of their prospects full time at bats

ive read numerous times in here the 40 man isnt the issue, they can easily clear a spot/already have one open, something with mccullers moving to a 60 day DL and such would open up another spot

its getting on the 25 man roster that is the crunch not the 40 man

Edited by kmoore1521

In new news, he stole a base last night too. Stole 8 in 2017 and 6 in 2018 (335 ABs each year).  I think Luhnow made some comment about him being faster than you'd expect when commenting on his fielding.  Not that he projects as a speedster but he may not be a total 0 there either.  

Edited by Baur10

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/texas-sports-nation/astros/article/Astros-stick-to-methodical-plan-Yordan-Alvarez-13896921.php

""But I do see (Álvarez) as being a part of this this year. There is no rush, but there is a methodical plan that we're going through to make sure that when he gets here we have him contribute and don't find out a month later that he wasn't ready or isn't able to play left field or isn't ready to hit at this level"

13 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/texas-sports-nation/astros/article/Astros-stick-to-methodical-plan-Yordan-Alvarez-13896921.php

""But I do see (Álvarez) as being a part of this this year. There is no rush, but there is a methodical plan that we're going through to make sure that when he gets here we have him contribute and don't find out a month later that he wasn't ready or isn't able to play left field or isn't ready to hit at this level"

the bold is what they always seem to say, but how would they know. YA is clearly dominating AAA pitching. his BB% is up, K% down. the only way to know if what YA is for real is the play him with Houston, but many seem to now that that is more likely to come after the super 2 deadline, whenever that is supposed to be.

18 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

ha looks like alvarez has done enough to show hes ready. there is no magical timetable or stat line that can guarantee he can hit in mlb. only way to find out is to bring him up

edit- nice one @SpecialFNK

Edited by colepenhagen

1 minute ago, SpecialFNK said:

the bold is what they always seem to say, but how would they know. YA is clearly dominating AAA pitching. his BB% is up, K% down. the only way to know if what YA is for real is the play him with Houston, but many seem to now that that is more likely to come after the super 2 deadline, whenever that is supposed to be.

Exactly.  There is no legitimate reason not to promote, other than Super 2.  While not a dynamic fielder, I'm sure he could handle LF, or even 1B for that matter.  No one is exactly, confusing Tyler White with Don Mattingly.  I just can't stand looking at White in a uniform, anymore.  He's just so..... so...... so lumpy.  If he was producing, I could tolerate it.  But, he's done no such thing.  Therefore, his girth irritates me greatly.

3 minutes ago, Goatstain3 said:

Exactly.  There is no legitimate reason not to promote, other than Super 2.  While not a dynamic fielder, I'm sure he could handle LF, or even 1B for that matter.  No one is exactly, confusing Tyler White with Don Mattingly.  I just can't stand looking at White in a uniform, anymore.  He's just so..... so...... so lumpy.  If he was producing, I could tolerate it.  But, he's done no such thing.  Therefore, his girth irritates me greatly.

is there something negative for the team to actually say they are waiting for super 2? like can that be used against them for something.

if this is what is in the agreement for baseball then it would just make sense financially for them to wait, so why don't they say that.

Just now, SpecialFNK said:

is there something negative for the team to actually say they are waiting for super 2? like can that be used against them for something.

if this is what is in the agreement for baseball then it would just make sense financially for them to wait, so why don't they say that.

Yeah, you're not allowed to manipulate service time or something officially, acting in bad faith. They have to tiptoe around it. Super 2 is about here, I dont think he's going to be up immediately after. So who cares

It's partially super 2, but it is also partially a legitimate roster crunch. 

1 minute ago, SpecialFNK said:

I think there is.  Like, hey guys, at this time, we're potentially not putting our best team on the field, in attempt to save a few bucks, and gain another year of control of YA.  I hope you all understand.  Ok, good talk.  If the Cubs didn't flat out admit, they were doing it with Kris Bryant, no one will.  

2 minutes ago, Goatstain3 said:

.  If the Cubs didn't flat out admit, they were doing it with Kris Bryant, no one will.  

The Astros did it pretty egregiously with Springer as well before that. Check out Springer's 2013 numbers and remember the Astros had like nobody. 

• Like 1