Light Tower Power

Yordan Alvarez 1B HOU

No earlier than Super 2. Astros doing fine in the standings, with a roster crunch for OF (even with injuries) and their replacement players aren't costing them games. After Super 2 we'll see who is struggling or hurt. They won't bring up Alvarez before then, and even after they may not bring him up unless there's a legit path to frequent ABs.  And hopefully his defense improves a little bit. 

2 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

The Astros did it pretty egregiously with Springer as well before that. Check out Springer's 2013 numbers and remember the Astros had like nobody. 

Looking over the call-up dates for their most recent top prospects, it seems like a pretty clear organizational philosophy to either manipulate service time or give their young players plenty of time to work on their defense, depending on which side of the coin you're on. FWIW, here are the callup dates for their most recent prospects:

George Springer April 16

Carlos Correa June 8

Derek Fisher June 14

Kyle Tucker July 7

Alex Bregman July 26

Edited by meh2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

Yeah, you're not allowed to manipulate service time or something officially, acting in bad faith. They have to tiptoe around it. Super 2 is about here, I dont think he's going to be up immediately after. So who cares

It's partially super 2, but it is also partially a legitimate roster crunch. 

I honestly don't understand how Tyler White could be blocking anyone at this point, so it has to be monetary considerations.  

• Like 1

Probably doesn’t mean much for Yordan right now, but still interesting to note and to monitor:

https://mobile.twitter.com/chandler_rome/status/1133484183081357314

Altuve pulled from his minor league assignment due to “fatigue and soreness to his surgically repaired knee.” 

Edited by Sonny_D
  • Like 1

I love how we were waiting for an injury to open up a spot for this guy. Not out of May yet and the team’s best 2 offensive players are hurt. If not now to call up Yordan or at least Tucker then when? 

5 minutes ago, treyjuice said:

I love how we were waiting for an injury to open up a spot for this guy. Not out of May yet and the team’s best 2 offensive players are hurt. If not now to call up Yordan or at least Tucker then when? 

Yeah. Let’s face it, it’s always been about the money. I commented in a game thread the other day that it’s unfortunate, the business side of it. But hey, at least you can still pay $30 for a hot dog and a beer!!!! 

There are currently three AL teams within one game of each other for the playoff homefield advantage tiebreaker.  

If the Astros miss out on homefield advantage by a few games and then lose a deciding game 6 or 7 on the road it would make me so happy.  

Edited by Overlord
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Overlord said:

I honestly don't understand how Tyler White could be blocking anyone at this point, so it has to be monetary considerations.  

Yeah, that's the only explanation.  They do not have a roster crunch by any means right now, with injuries and Tyler White being clearly expendable (or at least should be).

5 hours ago, Josean Pelota said:

No earlier than Super 2. Astros doing fine in the standings, with a roster crunch for OF (even with injuries) and their replacement players aren't costing them games. After Super 2 we'll see who is struggling or hurt. They won't bring up Alvarez before then, and even after they may not bring him up unless there's a legit path to frequent ABs.  And hopefully his defense improves a little bit. 

Super 2 has basically passed at this point. I suppose if one wanted to be extra, extra, extra careful you could wait a bit more. But based on historical deadlines, it's already happened in all likelihood.

12 hours ago, kmoore1521 said:

ive read numerous times in here the 40 man isnt the issue, they can easily clear a spot/already have one open, something with mccullers moving to a 60 day DL and such would open up another spot

its getting on the 25 man roster that is the crunch not the 40 man

But once he's on the 40 man roster, he has to stay there. If the Astros make other moves they'll like want to clear more spots. Particularly around the trade deadline.

Tyler White with another 0 for 4 ... hitting .219 with an UTL infielder's OPS

8 hours ago, treyjuice said:

The Astros get another year of team control on Tucker if he's brought up after June 2nd. 

Kyle Tucker Super 2 date is in August I think. I remember Trae Turner had to wait til late July for his Super 2 date to pass since he was up the previous September mostly watching. So if it is Super 2 holding both back then Yordan should be up first. Prolly be in June after the draft just to make sure the Super 2 date has passed. 

5 minutes ago, The_Real_Deal said:

Correa our with fractured ribs. Is this when we FINALLY see Yordan getting the call?

Not likely... unless Yordan can play SS

4 minutes ago, smeeze said:

Not likely... unless Yordan can play SS

Bregman to SS, Gurriel to 3rd, Yordan to 1st. IT COULD WORK DAMMIT.

Charlie___Sunny.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

• this would probably be the worst time to bring him up if they were trying to limit the pressure and keep him from pressing with altuve, springer, correa out
Edited by colepenhagen

11 minutes ago, The_Real_Deal said:

Position shifts???

The 40-man roster problem still persists

Frankly, I don’t see a difference between Yordan and Kevin Cron statistically. Why is everyone expecting Yordan to come up and blowup the bigs? I’m still holding but I guess hope for the best, expect the worst.

Edited by Fantasy_Goat

14 minutes ago, Fantasy_Goat said:

Frankly, I don’t see a difference between Yordan and Kevin Cron statistically. Why is everyone expecting Yordan to come up and blowup the bigs? I’m still holding but I guess hope for the best, expect the worst.

Because all 2 players are created the same!!

28 minutes ago, smeeze said:

The 40-man roster problem still persists

They can put him on the 40 man when they want by moving McCullers to the 60 day IL, 40 man isnt an issue

2 minutes ago, kmoore1521 said:

They can put him on the 40 man when they want by moving McCullers to the 60 day IL, 40 man isnt an issue

Sorry meant 25-man.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, smeeze said:

Sorry meant 25-man.

Correa was just placed on the IL. The Astros just had to call him up instead of Straw. 100% is about Super 2 at this point.