Light Tower Power

Yordan Alvarez 1B HOU

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, smeeze said:

Sorry meant 25-man.


The 25-man shouldn't be a problem either as long as they're ok with DFA'ing Tyler White. The problem is that he'll need an everyday non-DH position unless Luhnow was just using GM speak and doesn't really care about his defensive development (though I'm personally buying what Luhnow stated given what Seth Beer is doing and he has much more of a classic long term DH profile than Alvarez does). The key players blocking him right now are Gurriel and Brantley (Brantley has already stated he's not interested in increasing his DH role, so perhaps if Gurriel can move to 3B with Bregman shifting to SS he could have a chance).

Edited by Dark One

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Fantasy_Goat said:

Frankly, I don’t see a difference between Yordan and Kevin Cron statistically. Why is everyone expecting Yordan to come up and blowup the bigs? I’m still holding but I guess hope for the best, expect the worst.

The two aren't comparable - Cron has been thought of as a AAAA type player for awhile now and is 5 years older than Alvarez. Alvarez's rise has been meteoric given the production/age/level - he's also more athletic and has a much better chance of sticking in the field somewhere (and of course playing for a top offensive unit taking away some of the pressure doesn't hurt either).

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Fantasy_Goat said:

Frankly, I don’t see a difference between Yordan and Kevin Cron statistically. Why is everyone expecting Yordan to come up and blowup the bigs? I’m still holding but I guess hope for the best, expect the worst.

 

There's a reason why lying about ages was such an epidemic in the MLB.

Cause birthdate matters.

A 22 year old's performance at ""X Level" is going to be perceived radically differently than the same performance from a 26 year old.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anybody actually know when Super Two is? I don't believe that 100% of the reason he isn't being called up to be super two related, but also don't expect him up before it. For all of the talk about it, it would be nice to know a definitive date...anyone got anything?

Edited by nlm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My supervisor has the Kevin Cron smile, the guy is one the most untrustworthy people I've ever worked with.  Anything you say he is liable to spin it and deliver it to someone else out of context.

 

Don't trust Kevin, trust Yordan. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, nlm said:

Does anybody actually know when Super Two is? I don't believe that 100% of the reason he isn't being called up to be super two related, but also don't expect him up before it. For all of the talk about it, it would be nice to know a definitive date...anyone got anything?

Nobody knows for sure and we won't until next year. It's traditionally been in the first week or so of June, but there's speculation it might be at the end of May this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Overlord said:

 

There's a reason why lying about ages was such an epidemic in the MLB.

Cause birthdate matters.

A 22 year old's performance at ""X Level" is going to be perceived radically differently than the same performance from a 26 year old.  

 

I think that whole Age argument is over rated and it is simple to understand why and it's all in why is there a difference. It's because some players are international players joining the Minor at the Age 15 and 16. Others are High School Kids joining the Minors at the age of 17 and 18 and finally those who go to collage can be 21 or 22 when the join the Minors.

They use aluminium baseball bats in collage and you can make the Argument it's not the best game to help them get ready to play in the Majors and that they join the Minors behind in the Learning curve and it can take them time to figure it out and it's just silly to make an argument that a player that went to collage can't as good as one who didn't if the talent is there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The latest Blurb from Rotoworld incorrectly states our boy hasn’t homered since May 22. Anybody got the bat phone to rotoworld headquarters? I’m looking at you @brockpaperscissor...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, treyjuice said:

The latest Blurb from Rotoworld incorrectly states our boy hasn’t homered since May 22.

But that's accurate according to his game logs - what makes you say it isn't?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, smeeze said:

Probably this tweet:

Which is incorrect according to the box score:

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?t=g_box&did=milb&gid=2019_05_27_rreaaa_nasaaa_1

I’m pretty sure the home run in question came in a game that was suspended earlier in the season. The homer just recently happened but it must’ve been recorded in the game log from the original date the game started.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, meh2 said:

I’m pretty sure the home run in question came in a game that was suspended earlier in the season. The homer just recently happened but it must’ve been recorded in the game log from the original date the game started.

That would make sense. Pretty confusing nonetheless, and would appear the RW blurb boys got it wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, smeeze said:

That would make sense. Pretty confusing nonetheless, and would appear the RW blurb boys got it wrong.

Thanks - the RW blurber probably just looked at the same game log.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hopefully he heats up again and gets the call within the next two weeks. Right now, Tucker is outperforming him....albeit, Alvarez still has better numbers for the season, thanks to Tucker’s  slow start. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad to see him still getting this precious development time in the minors. Meanwhile with every donut and o-for, Tyler White inches closer to slugging his body weight.

 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, meh2 said:

Glad to see him still getting this precious development time in the minors. Meanwhile with every donut and o-for, Tyler White inches closer to slugging his body weight.

 

 

Yeah but the question is, do they still throw the 4 pitches down there? He may never see that in the majors so def something he should work on while he’s down there. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, hypeiz4real said:

Played 10 days in a row and tossed up hitless games the last 2. Thinking routine day off. Nothing to see here

There never is....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, KilloWertz said:

There never is....

 

Yeah makes me sad. This guy feels like Hoskins 2.0. I'm in a league where guys like Hoskins are top 25 offensive players. Just the way the points shake out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...