Light Tower Power

Yordan Alvarez 1B HOU

Jeff Luhnow on Yordan Alvarez: "The reality is, right now, we have Michael Brantley playing left field and (Alvarez) hasn't really shown us he can play first base ... There's no real need or urgency to bring him up, but it's only a matter of time."

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, WTP333 said:

Jeff Luhnow on Yordan Alvarez: "The reality is, right now, we have Michael Brantley playing left field and (Alvarez) hasn't really shown us he can play first base ... There's no real need or urgency to bring him up, but it's only a matter of time."

Neither has Tyler White, Jeff. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, WTP333 said:

Uh Jeff, your nose is growing.  Is kinda hard to show one has the ability to play a position, when they DH, five of the last eight games.  

It's ok Jeff.  We get it.

Image result for wink gifs

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, WTP333 said:

Unfortunately, it's basically what I've been feeling all along - that he's blocked by Brantley and Gurriel in addition to there not being a sense of urgency (I have him stashed in a few leagues as well, so I wish there was a way I could magically make it happen).

Edited by Dark One

1 hour ago, Sonny_D said:

Neither has Tyler White, Jeff. 

White has only started 11 games at 1B though, Gurriel has started 42. White isn't a roadblock of any kind.

1 minute ago, Dark One said:

White has only started 11 games at 1B though, Gurriel has started 42. White isn't a roadblock of any kind.

That’s 11 more than Alvarez. 

Just now, Sonny_D said:

That’s 11 more than Alvarez. 

But those 11 don't represent a full time gig that would otherwise have been Alvarez's if not for White. White represents an easy path for Alvarez to get to the 25 man roster, but not as a full time position player.

• Like 3

But those 11 don't represent a full time gig that would otherwise have been Alvarez's if not for White. White represents an easy path for Alvarez to get to the 25 man roster, but not as a full time position player.

My comment was more in jest. But we get it, there are no road blocks. There’s been 4 or 5 guys hit the IL from the IF to the OF, yet no callup. No roadblocks. We know what’s going on here. The real roadblock is ownerships pocketbooks. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Sonny_D said:

My comment was more in jest. But we get it, there are no road blocks. There’s been 4 or 5 guys hit the IL from the IF to the OF, yet no callup. No roadblocks. We know what’s going on here. The real roadblock is ownerships pocketbooks. 

I wish I could agree - and if it really is only about Super 2 that's certainly the best hope that he'll be up soon - but I do think that Brantley and Gurriel represent legitimate road blocks (Brantley in particular). If they had a true need for an injection of offense, I could definitely see them calling him up to make him the full time DH, but they don't.

About Alvarez being the DH in Round Rock - the majority of the time, when he DH's there, Tucker is in LF. When Tucker is in RF, Alvarez is at LF the majority of the time. Tucker is blocking him from playing LF full time there as well.

I hope you're right though, I really do.

15 minutes ago, Dark One said:

I wish I could agree - and if it really is only about Super 2 that's certainly the best hope that he'll be up soon - but I do think that Brantley and Gurriel represent legitimate road blocks (Brantley in particular). If they had a true need for an injection of offense, I could definitely see them calling him up to make him the full time DH, but they don't.

About Alvarez being the DH in Round Rock - the majority of the time, when he DH's there, Tucker is in LF. When Tucker is in RF, Alvarez is at LF the majority of the time. Tucker is blocking him from playing LF full time there as well.

I hope you're right though, I really do.

In the minds of the organization, maybe they are roadblocks.  In reality though, it's a bunch of bull...  Neither are roadblocks at all because Brantley could just DH at times with Alvarez in LF, then put Brantley in LF and Alvarez at DH.  Then Alvarez could slide to 1B and Gurriel could DH at times too.

The GM is just making crap up in order to try to justify Alvarez still being in AAA.  I also thought the reason before was his defense in LF, not his defense at 1B.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that was a quote somebody posted in here and one time.  Regardless, if they keep him down after Super 2, then I think even their own fans would start getting a bit restless in regards to them keeping Alvarez in AAA.  I would have a hard time believing he isn't a topic in their media and such.

Still, he said it was only a matter of time, which also just shows how ridiculous everything else he has said is.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, KilloWertz said:

In the minds of the organization, maybe they are roadblocks.  In reality though, it's a bunch of bull...  Neither are roadblocks at all because Brantley could just DH at times with Alvarez in LF, then put Brantley in LF and Alvarez at DH.  Then Alvarez could slide to 1B and Gurriel could DH at times too.

The GM is just making crap up in order to try to justify Alvarez still being in AAA.  I also thought the reason before was his defense in LF, not his defense at 1B.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that was a quote somebody posted in here and one time.  Regardless, if they keep him down after Super 2, then I think even their own fans would start getting a bit restless in regards to them keeping Alvarez in AAA.  I would have a hard time believing he isn't a topic in their media and such.

Still, he said it was only a matter of time, which also just shows how ridiculous everything else he has said is.

Again, I hope everyone claiming it's 100% about Super 2 is right.

About the fans getting restless - there's no need for them to be. Fantasy managers that want him in their lineups yesterday absolutely, but the team continues to win too often for fans of the team to be angry about Alvarez still being in AAA.

Edited by Dark One

16 hours ago, WTP333 said:

Literally. 

As in "service time".

• Like 2

4 hours ago, cs3 said:

Literally. 

As in "service time".

More than likely.  Like I said yesterday, he gives that impression even though everything before that implies it could still be a while.  I don't buy much of what the GMs say about their prospects anymore, so I'm going to go with he'll be up soon.

He'll likely be worth the wait, although obviously having to wait sucks when the extra time down there isn't going to improve his chances of being another Austin Riley or Pete Alonso this year...

Round Rock Express (@RRExpress) Tweeted:
Why even bring your bat when you’ve been intentionally walked in five of your last seven plate appearances? 

😒 @IowaCubs... https://t.co/4gp4MXJt3j

• Haha 3

Corbin Martin stinking it up, Jack Mayfield is terrible, team still wins.  Pretty funny. I made up July 15th as his call up day, and sticking with my baseless prediction.

2 hours ago, shakestreet said:
Why even bring your bat when you’ve been intentionally walked in five of your last seven plate appearances? 

I just checked the game logs: 7 intentional BB in the past week. 5 in the past 2 games.  Something to consider when looking at his raw numbers recently.  Guy is being seriously pitched around right now.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, shakestreet said:

I’m glad he’s getting the valuable experience down there......

Serious question. Has this ever happened before? I mean, this is the minor leagues. I don’t think I’ve ever seen/heard of such a thing happening. 

Edited by Sonny_D
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Sonny_D said:

I’m glad he’s getting the valuable experience down there......

He doesn't need the experience at the plate, even Luhnow indicated the bat is MLB ready. However, he's been in LF for four straight games, so hopefully that's a good sign if they can convince Brantley to DH more (Alvarez also hasn't been at 1B in over 10 games).

He doesn't need the experience at the plate, even Luhnow indicated the bat is MLB ready. However, he's been in LF for four straight games, so hopefully that's a good sign if they can convince Brantley to DH more (Alvarez also hasn't been at 1B in over 10 games).

Lol. Yet he’s had plenty of AB’s at DH. I don’t believe anything Luhnow says. And you shouldn’t either. It’s all about the money. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sonny_D said:

Lol. Yet he’s had plenty of AB’s at DH. I don’t believe anything Luhnow says. And you shouldn’t either. It’s all about the money. 

Because Kyle Tucker also plays LF and they need to see what they have in him as well - but Yordan's not playing 1B at all recently after playing 9 games there earlier this season, which tells me that Luhnow is being more honest about the plan for him than what either of us should or shouldn't believe. Tucker has played 18 games in LF, Yordan has played 25 in LF - but Tucker has also played 28 in RF and has more OF versatility than Yordan. I definitely believe if it weren't for Tucker, Yordan would have the LF job to himself, but he's still getting plenty of work there. Of course I believe the financial component is an aspect, but not the only one by far.

31 minutes ago, Dark One said:

Because Kyle Tucker also plays LF and they need to see what they have in him as well - but Yordan's not playing 1B at all recently after playing 9 games there earlier this season, which tells me that Luhnow is being more honest about the plan for him than what either of us should or shouldn't believe. Tucker has played 18 games in LF, Yordan has played 25 in LF - but Tucker has also played 28 in RF and has more OF versatility than Yordan. I definitely believe if it weren't for Tucker, Yordan would have the LF job to himself, but he's still getting plenty of work there. Of course I believe the financial component is an aspect, but not the only one by far.

Wait, the financial component isn’t the only one? Let me guess, Myles Straw was brought up b/c he’s a better option than Tucker. Come on man, don’t be so naive. 

Edited by Sonny_D

5 minutes ago, Sonny_D said:

Wait, the financial component isn’t the only one? Let me guess, Myles Straw was brought up b/c he’s a better option than Tucker. Come on man, don’t be so naive. 

It's called an opinion - just because you have a different one doesn't make it the correct one.

My BELIEF is that Straw was called up because when either Tucker or Alvarez are called up, they want to make sure they're not going to be sent right back down again when the regulars return from injury. And yes, I would agree the financial aspect of it is indeed a component - I certainly believe that and never stated it had nothing to do with it.

2 hours ago, Sonny_D said:

Well, Straw is faster. And he proved it by beating them to the majors. lmao