Light Tower Power

Yordan Alvarez 1B HOU

38 minutes ago, RBI Sports said:

Well, Straw is faster. And he proved it by beating them to the majors. lmao

He's also more versatile and can play SS if needed (he was called up in the wake of Correa's injury).

*sigh* I miss the days of going to the Yordan Alvarez thread and seeing all the hype about the home runs he’d hit.  Now it’s been about how stupid super-2 is for the last 3 weeks (which it REALLY is.)

Edited by Cesare13

https://www.crawfishboxes.com/2019/6/4/18652466/astros-what-if-yordan-alvarez-gets-the-call-friday

Article speculating that a call-up could be coming as soon as this weekend. It also discusses what I’ve been saying for a while now that Yordan will likely get the majority of his time at dh, while sprinkling in time in left field or 1st base.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, meh2 said:

https://www.crawfishboxes.com/2019/6/4/18652466/astros-what-if-yordan-alvarez-gets-the-call-friday

Article speculating that a call-up could be coming as soon as this weekend. It also discusses what I’ve been saying for a while now that Yordan will likely get the majority of his time at dh, while sprinkling in time in left field or 1st base.

it's exhausting speculating on Alvarez but we'll see.  I do wish they would play him a lot more at 1b in Triple A though as he seems to be a natural fit there- both for him and the team.  He's played 9 games there which of course is not enough.  DH'ing once in awhile is a given and a good way to get his bat in there but they certainly should want him in the field too.  Playing him at first full time in the minors now would seem to benefit everyone but what do you I know...

Anyways, he's playing LV this week so look forward to the boxscores if nothing else...

While that article is nice and their prediction/guess is actually sound, I'm not going to even get a little excited until it's announced.  Like knuckleheads said, Alvarez's season so far has gone from fun to follow too exhausting.  It's been nothing but talk about this or that, but no actual clear sign that we won't have to keep waiting even though it's already been way passed time.

Again, not criticizing for posting the article.  It was actually a good read, and like I said, actually fairly sound.  We'll see what happens I guess.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, meh2 said:

Thanks - always enjoy reading different perspectives. If the organization thinks Alvarez's bat can make that much of a difference to not have him in the field the majority of the time, I'm certainly all for it.

Crushed HR #22 tonight (3 run jack) in the first inning (hat tip @einstein2u) - also started in LF for the 5th straight game (definitely a great sign).

Edited by Dark One

I already traded Yordan so I am out of the daily bring him up club. I personally think he is going to be down til August when the Stros have to bring him up to use him in the postseason. Really not sure of the reason but am sure the Astros are in no hurry maybe they are mad at his agent?

28 minutes ago, hailfire4 said:

Really not sure of the reason but am sure the Astros are in no hurry maybe they are mad at his agent?

I believe it's a combination of Brantley and Gurriel blocking him positionally, financial reasons (Super 2) and the Astros continuing to win with no real competition for the division (most wins in the AL, 22 games over .500, no real sense of urgency to bring Alvarez up to primarily DH and slow down his defensive development). However, if they feel Alvarez's bat can help them win even more games after Super 2 passes, I'm sure they'll bring him up and use him as a combo DH player the way @meh2 has frequently suggested. Another issue they may run into is that Brantley hasn't been in favor on an increased DH role (a recent story suggested he's softening on it, but likely still doesn't want to DH on back to back days, so that could help), plus Alvarez would likely need to hit somewhere in the middle of the lineup (no lower than 6th) to take advantage of the firepower he brings - that will entail moving someone down and hopefully not disrupting any team chemistry which can be as crucial to winning as individual production.

I think they envision his as their long term answer in LF (he's still only 21, will be 22 in a few weeks), but probably weren't expecting his rise to be as meteoric as it has been this season with Brantley also highly productive at the MLB level. Good problem to have fore sure. Of course, you never know, something unforseen could also open up an immediate spot as well, we just need to continue to be patient.

As an aside, Kyle Tucker hit two more HR's last night - now up to 18 on the season, somehow now just 4 behind Alvarez even after Tucker's horrific start to the year and Alvarez homering in back to back games. His production is another potential Alvarez complication in the short term - in the long term I believe they envision Tucker in RF and Alvarez in LF.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Dark One said:

I believe it's a combination of Brantley and Gurriel blocking him positionally, financial reasons (Super 2) and the Astros continuing to win with no real competition for the division (most wins in the AL, 22 games over .500, no real sense of urgency to bring Alvarez up to primarily DH and slow down his defensive development). However, if they feel Alvarez's bat can help them win even more games after Super 2 passes, I'm sure they'll bring him up and use him as a combo DH player the way @meh2 has frequently suggested. Another issue they may run into is that Brantley hasn't been in favor on an increased DH role (a recent story suggested he's softening on it, but likely still doesn't want to DH on back to back days, so that could help), plus Alvarez would likely need to hit somewhere in the middle of the lineup (no lower than 6th) to take advantage of the firepower he brings - that will entail moving someone down and hopefully not disrupting any team chemistry which can be as crucial to winning as individual production.

I think they envision his as their long term answer in LF (he's still only 21, will be 22 in a few weeks), but probably weren't expecting his rise to be as meteoric as it has been this season with Brantley also highly productive at the MLB level. Good problem to have fore sure. Of course, you never know, something unforseen could also open up an immediate spot as well, we just need to continue to be patient.

I think you bring up good points and I dont necessarily agree with your overall point in your post.

But please explain why this is a reason used by people (mainly Astro's organization during multiple interviews/reports)????:

"no real sense of urgency to bring Alvarez up to primarily DH and slow down his defensive development"

I dont mean to question you for writing that, rather just question the overall idea that the Astros are leaving him in the minors to work on his defense.

Games started this season:

LF- 26 games

DH- 16 games

1B- 9 games

RF- 2 game

I wont claim to know the DH rules of AA baseball, but Yordan started all 36 of his games in LF in 2018 while in the PCL. 

If the Astros are really trying to develop his defense, good lord how can you explain them putting him at DH for 30% of his starts?? When he played exactly 0% of his starts at DH last year?? How does sitting on the bench improve his defensive development is the question I'm asking. How do they not make his defensive development a priority?

The whole premise of "defensive development" is to give him reps, not rush him, and for him to learn slowly with repetition through his mistakes. Passing on 30% of opportunities to develop his defense (which was literally the quote, and implied it was the only thing holding him back from MLB) seems outrageous to me. 

I really just dont understand the strategy or how someone could believe that as a reason when given by Astros management. 

24 minutes ago, davidgoretiz said:

If the Astros are really trying to develop his defense, good lord how can you explain them putting him at DH for 30% of his starts?? 

No problem - as this is the crux of your inquiry I figured I'd condense it for easy reading in terms of a reply. It's also good question in terms of it appearing to be just GM speak on the surface based on the apparent hypocrisy of "we need him to be ready to play the field" and then having him DH in AAA.

I've mentioned this a few times, but it's basically two words - Kyle Tucker. Tucker also plays LF and it's created a log jam to get both of them playing time at the position. Tucker has also made the majority of his starts in RF, but they want to be able to get him time in LF as well to maximize his versatility whereas they appear to have soured on Alvarez as a 1B option, so when Tucker plays LF, Alvarez DH's most of those games. If it weren't for Tucker I believe Alvarez would be in LF full time at Round Rock.

In recent days, Alvarez has started 5 straight games in LF, which I found to be a very positive step to finally ascending the organizational ladder for good.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Dark One said:

As an aside, Kyle Tucker hit two more HR's last night - now up to 18 on the season, somehow now just 4 behind Alvarez even after Tucker's horrific start to the year and Alvarez homering in back to back games. His production is another potential Alvarez complication in the short term - in the long term I believe they envision Tucker in RF and Alvarez in LF.

That being just one stat but his overall line still pales in comparison to Alvarez who is the benchmark for all minor leaguers this year.  Tucker may in fact get the first call but he certainly hasn't approached what Alvarez has accomplished from an offensive viewpoint.  I also kind of feel Tucker may have flop possibilities again this year.  Not to the point of what he did last year but perhaps a very ordinary line.  Alvarez to me feels like he'll go up and do rather well.  Just an opinion...

Edited by knuckleheads
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, knuckleheads said:

That being just one stat but his overall line still pales in comparison to Alvarez who is the benchmark for all minor leaguers this year.  Tucker may in fact get the first call but he certainly hasn't approached what Alvarez has accomplished from an offensive viewpoint.  I also kind of feel Tucker may have flop possibilities again this year.  Not to the point of what he did last year but perhaps a very ordinary line.  Alvarez to me feels like he'll go up and do rather well.  Just an opinion...

That certainly may be true, it just represents another potential obstacle for Alvarez and his potential 2019 fantasy value, especially with Tucker already being thought of as a top 10-15 prospect in the game on most lists last year and coming into this season. Definitely not downplaying that Alvarez has done at all this year, he's been beyond awesome and certainly deserves the promotion without question.

Round Rock with 26 runs scored in a game tonight lol...(so far)

Alvarez - 2 runs, 2 walks...................

Tucker - 4/7 with TWO DONGS!

😮

Edited by MoonyGray

1 minute ago, MoonyGray said:

Round Rock with 26 runs scored in a game tonight lol...(so far)

Alvarez - 2 runs, 2 walks...................

Tucker - 4/7 with a DONG!

😮

Tucker actually had two HR's tonight - now up to 20, just two behind Yordan for the lead across all AAA leagues. The Astros have a great problem of offensive depth at the upper levels.

4 minutes ago, Dark One said:

Tucker actually had two HR's tonight - now up to 20, just two behind Yordan for the lead across all AAA leagues. The Astros have a great problem of offensive depth at the upper levels.

Oh you're right! I know there's been some long winded chatter in this thread. But 100% it has to be Super 2 with those two studs. Hopefully just another week or so.

4 hours ago, MoonyGray said:

Oh you're right! I know there's been some long winded chatter in this thread. But 100% it has to be Super 2 with those two studs. Hopefully just another week or so.

I’m not convinced it’s a super 2 issue

we might not see Alvarez this year

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, tuesdays said:

I’m not convinced it’s a super 2 issue

we might not see Alvarez this year

LOL, no chance of that unless he gets injured.   At the absolute worst Alvarez would be a September call-up but of course they'll want him up before that date just so that he would be eligible for the playoffs.  And anyways Luhnow has already stated his time will come soon and a guy in his position is not going to say something like that unless it was in the plans.

There were Alvarez owners who were beating there drum and deserved. Tucker is closing the gap stats wise now. They are both great prospects but Tucker is still the top dog in my opinion.

2 hours ago, Fielder1831 said:

There were Alvarez owners who were beating there drum and deserved. Tucker is closing the gap stats wise now. They are both great prospects but Tucker is still the top dog in my opinion.

Who knows, but one thing is for certain.  Leaving Alvarez down in AAA would be almost as bad as Toronto not calling up Vlad at all last season just to get another year of control.  I'm not saying Alvarez is the next Vlad by any means, but I'm sure most will get the point.

There's been no indication that it's something to worry about right now though.  Anything that has been said would indicate it's just a matter of waiting and when, not if.

4 hours ago, Fielder1831 said:

There was a great posting a few pages back of Jeremy Booth talking about Yordan Alvarez and what scouts are saying about him in comparison to their other top prospects. He basically said Alvarez is the guy that truly excites the scouts in a way that Tucker simply does not when talking about the overall hit tool.  The comparisons were David Ortiz and a young Ryan Howard. He also stated that these scouts have seen it all before so for them to get excited about anyone was a huge deal.  YouTube Booth and Alvarez and then let's hear what you think then...

Edited by knuckleheads