Light Tower Power

Yordan Alvarez 1B HOU

9 minutes ago, kmoore1521 said:

Rays designated RHP Andrew Moore for assignment.

This move clears out a 40-man roster spot for top first base prospect Nate Lowe, who has been called up ahead of Monday night's series opener in Kansas City. Moore, a former second-round pick of the Mariners, had allowed 25 earned runs in 17 1/3 innings this season at Triple-A Durham for a hideous 12.98 ERA.

i dont think he was on the 40 man based off of this

you might be right. I'm guessing the 40 man crunch is a bit tougher  fort he Astros though.

5 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

you might be right. I'm guessing the 40 man crunch is a bit tougher  fort he Astros though.

Yea def and i wonder because for some reason i feel like with their prospects they usually promote one level per year from others we've seen in the past sans the studs like Correa, dont recall how quick bregman moved

if you look at Yordan every year he eventually gets moved up like clockwork, A to AA, then AA to AAA last year, and now he starts in AAA and will be moved to MLB assuming it continues

just a thought i had pop up

Edited by kmoore1521

5 minutes ago, kmoore1521 said:

Yea def and i wonder because for some reason i feel like with their prospects they usually promote one level per year from others we've seen in the past sans the studs like Correa, dont recall how quick bregman moved

if you look at Yordan every year he eventually gets moved up like clockwork, A to AA, then AA to AAA last year, and now he starts in AAA and will be moved to MLB assuming it continues

just a thought i had pop up

I think he'll certainly play in the bigs this year at some point, especially if he remotley keeps up this pace. Won't dispute that.

19 minutes ago, bjvance5 said:

If he keeps up this pace, it will be any day now.

Will it? People kept saying this about Tucker last year and it didn't happen until later in the year.

1 hour ago, terminator10 said:

Lowe was “blocked” just as much as Alvarez. He got the call up in April. Talent can’t be denied guys

The problem from a "blocked" standpoint though, is that the talent in front of Alvarez in Houston has been useful - on the Rays, Joey Wendle is out long term and obviously Arroyo was an easy choice to option to the minors. This move allows for a solid lineup upgrade while mixing and matching Choi/Nate Lowe at 1B/DH (Choi is hitting 3rd tonight at 1B, Nate Lowe 5th at DH).

Houston still has productive veterans that aren't likely to be benched/sent down (Brantley, Reddick, Gurriel) as well as youthful options already on the 40 man roster (White, Tucker, Reed). I just don't see Yordan's path as clear cut at Nate's. He's certainly worth an add either way if you have room to spare (or especially an NA slot if you play on Yahoo), I'm just not as optimistic about his potential 2019 value. The rising stock is obvious though, so definitely a player to be excited about for sure.

Edited by Dark One

1 hour ago, Dark One said:

The problem from a "blocked" standpoint though, is that the talent in front of Alvarez in Houston has been useful - on the Rays, Joey Wendle is out long term and obviously Arroyo was an easy choice to option to the minors. This move allows for a solid lineup upgrade while mixing and matching Choi/Nate Lowe at 1B/DH (Choi is hitting 3rd tonight at 1B, Nate Lowe 5th at DH).

Houston still has productive veterans that aren't likely to be benched/sent down (Brantley, Reddick, Gurriel) as well as youthful options already on the 40 man roster (White, Tucker, Reed). I just don't see Yordan's path as clear cut at Nate's. He's certainly worth an add either way if you have room to spare (or especially an NA slot if you play on Yahoo), I'm just not as optimistic about his potential 2019 value. The rising stock is obvious though, so definitely a player to be excited about for sure.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but I don't really think there's any more blocking Alvarez on Houston than there would have been blocking Lowe in Tampa.  Between 1B and DH, Diaz, Choi, and Garcia all got used there plenty (well, not 1B for Garcia, but you get the point).  It's been disputed whether teams call up players to DH, but still, DH is more wide open than those 2 positions were for the Rays.  While Tyler White flashed greatness for a bit last season, he's not somebody that should be blocking a prospect performing like Alvarez is performing.  And now, they are just using the DH to give people days off from the field (Brantley and Bregman have been the DH in their last two games).

Again, there's very little legit reason for Alvarez to be down in AAA much longer.

1 hour ago, AnonymousRob said:

Will it? People kept saying this about Tucker last year and it didn't happen until later in the year.

Can confirm, I was saying it. Didn't happen, and when it did it wasn't fun.  I think he has a chance to be an impact fantasy bat this year in the majors, but far from a sure thing. I wouldn't want to invest in him in exchange for a spot I needed on someone producing now.

15 minutes ago, KilloWertz said:

Again, there's very little legit reason for Alvarez to be down in AAA much longer.

The Rays called up Arroyo ahead of Lowe when Wendle went down even though there was no legit reason to do so, so their initial preference was to go with someone on the 40 man roster with options remaining. In the case of the Rays, they ultimately had a clear spot in the lineup waiting for Lowe and the need for an extra impact bat. In the case of the Astros, they have Altuve/Bregman/Springer/Brantley/Correa/Gurriel/Reddick with White/Tucker/Reed as additional youth options already on the 40 man (with Tucker obviously having the biggest upside and while he's struggled for awhile now, the power is showing signs of coming around lately and I'm certain the organization wants to give him every chance to succeed, even if they ultimately want to showcase him for a trade). I'm not saying Yordan isn't deserving of a promotion, but I am saying the Astros have options the Rays don't.

The Mets could have easily bypassed Dom Smith for Pete Alonso last season but didn't - there are also service time considerations above and beyond having veteran players in front of you.

• Like 2

Its not like the Astros have been killing it on offense this year. Didn’t score til the 7th last night (3 run homer with 2 outs). Tonight being shut out thru 6 by Odorizzi.

Edit: 0 runs through 7. And White with 3 straight strikeouts. 

Edited by Sonny_D

Lmao Tyler white has no home runs and no rbi wtf is he doing on the roster?

Edited by einstein2u
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, einstein2u said:

Lmao Tyler white has no home runs and no rbi wtf is he doing on the roster?

Is this you 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It's really funny Tyler White is the thorn for Alvarez playing time, Tyler White and AJ Reed use to be in a big battle for playing time in Houston. They both lost.

• Like 1

Now they have Aledyms Diaz playing 1B tonight with Reddick at DH and Marisnick in the OF. Thinking it’s only a matter of time. 

Edited by Sonny_D
  • Like 1

I surmise Astros GM has been working the lines to trade Kemp and or White 

Already 3-3 with a double today. Still has the rest of this game plus the second DHeader game to do more. maybe just maybe it will be soon?

I'd certainly love it if the Astros decided "the hell with our other options - we're as excited as our fans and Yordan's fantasy owners and we're calling him up". I'd love to see it - I remember how frustrated fantasy owners were all last season when Vlad/Alonso/Eloy were all tearing it up and never got the call, but every situation is different and timing is everything so you just never know.

I could see scenarios where we don’t see him until September and I can see scenarios where he’s up in a couple of days. For me I’m stashing and hoping for the latter. These are the types of players that make fantasy baseball so exciting and I don’t want to miss out.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, meh2 said:

I could see scenarios where we don’t see him until September and I can see scenarios where he’s up in a couple of days. For me I’m stashing and hoping for the latter. These are the types of players that make fantasy baseball so exciting and I don’t want to miss out.

Same goes, as I scooped him last week.  If I remember correctly, the Astros are kinda stealthy with these moves.  I think (but could be mistaken), that previous promotions (Springer/Correa/Bregman), were kinda sudden and unexpected.  

2 minutes ago, Goatstain3 said:

Same goes, as I scooped him last week.  If I remember correctly, the Astros are kinda stealthy with these moves.  I think (but could be mistaken), that previous promotions (Springer/Correa/Bregman), were kinda sudden and unexpected.  

I did the same and picked him up Sunday in a redraft league.  Already have him on my dynasty team.

OMG I thought my box score milb tracker was busted because it said yordan was 2-2

but they were playing a double header

hes 2-2 with a HOME RUN

6-7 on the day with 2 doubles and a HR and its not over

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1