Light Tower Power

Yordan Alvarez 1B HOU

23 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

OMG I thought my box score milb tracker was busted because it said yordan was 2-2

but they were playing a double header

hes 2-2 with a HOME RUN

6-7 on the day with 2 doubles and a HR and its not over

Lord have mercy. Stros won’t be able to resist after this performance.

15 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

Can't read the article behind the paywall.  Any interesting points outside Yordan is real good at baseball and Kemp/White don't have any minor options left?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Baur10 said:

Can't read the article behind the paywall.  Any interesting points outside Yordan is real good at baseball and Kemp/White don't have any minor options left?

Not really. They talk about for him to be worth it they need him to be playable in lf and still needs work in the outfield. Basically they want someone to take Kemp or white for something. Maybe they get a Yolo wild card dsl guy. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Baur10 said:

If you download the Athletic app and open the link with that it will let you read it 

• Thanks 1

For those saying that Yordan won’t be called up because he’s not on the 40 man roster, there appears to be one other avenue that I haven’t seen mentioned here that could be done to get him to the show without having to DFA White or Kemp. It appears McCullers, who’s set to miss 2019, is only on the 10-day IL. If they transfer him to the 60-day IL, they’ll create a spot on the 40-man roster. Disclaimer: I’m not an expert on this and could be wrong , I just read it on Twitter.

Ps. Could be a perfect storm brewing for him today going 6 for 8 in the doubleheader, while the ‘Stros are being shutout by Martin Perez (into the 6th as I write this) and White is 0 for 2.

• Like 5

If there’s any injury requiring a DL stint, would that create a place on the 40 man? Similar to howie Kendrick getting seriously hurt last May and having Soto called up out of nowhere?

9 minutes ago, Cesare13 said:

If there’s any injury requiring a DL stint, would that create a place on the 40 man? Similar to howie Kendrick getting seriously hurt last May and having Soto called up out of nowhere?

As far as I can tell, no. A 10-day IL stint does not create an opening on the 40-man roster, only the 60-day. From a great article on Talking Chop a few years back:

The two most used lists are the 15-day and 60-day disabled lists. When a player is on the 15-day list, he does not count against the 25-man roster (but he does still count against the 40-man roster). This allows the team to replace that player with another player during the time that he is recovering from his injury, so that the team doesn't have to play a man short. That other player can come from any source the team has available; he could be a minor-league call up, a recall of an optioned player, a trade, or a free agent signing. (But of course, that player must first be on the 40-man roster.) When the injured player is ready to play again, and the 15 days is up, the team will have to make another roster move to clear a slot on the 25-man roster to make way for the injured player's return.

The 60-day disabled list works in a similar fashion, with one important difference: a player on the 60-day disabled list does not count against the 40-man roster (or the 25-man roster). As one might guess, this is usually used for players who are expected to need significant recovery time. Giving relief from the 40-man roster encourages teams to retain and rehab severely injured players whom they might otherwise just release (e.g., pitchers who have undergone Tommy John surgery, which typically has a 12-18 month recovery time). There is a special rule for using the 60-day disabled list: it may not be used as long as there is an open slot on the 40-man roster. What often happens is that a player is severely injured, but is initially placed on the 15-day DL because the team's 40-man roster is not full. Later, when the 40-man roster is full and the team needs to add another player, it will move the severely injured player from the 15-day DL to the 60-day DL in order to open up a 40-man roster slot.

• Thanks 1

As far as I'm concerned, they should put Tyler White on the 60 day IL.  Any player performing at that level of sucktitude, must be injured.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, meh2 said:

For those saying that Yordan won’t be called up because he’s not on the 40 man roster

For the record - I never stated he wouldn't be called up because he's not on the 40, only that the Astros have options already on the 40 that could make his path to 2019 value more difficult, while also taking into account possible service time considerations. Of course, if he keeps rolling on an historic pace like this, it will certainly be hard to justify keeping him down no matter what logic is used.

Man this is becoming interesting, at what point do we grab Yordan and run with him. I know people have small roster space but man this is getting enticing. 

18 minutes ago, Rabbit Maranville said:

There's a reason that Houston hasn't moved McCullers to the 60-day yet: they don't need to. Someone double check if you like, but I count 20 pitchers and 18 hitters.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/HOU/2019-roster.shtml

http://m.astros.mlb.com/hou/roster/40-man/

So then I guess the problem wouldn’t be getting him on the 40-man roster, it’s getting him on the 25-man roster?

The Astros 5 through 9, tonight:

Gurriel   .238

A. Diaz  .200

T. White   .255   0 rbi's     Ok, 1 now

Stassi    .100

Marisnick  .283

It makes perfect sense, why the Astros are sitting tight.  Oh, wait.....

1 hour ago, Cesare13 said:

Ok, I think I have it figured out. Astros only have 38 players on their 40-man roster so adding Yordan to that would be easy. The problem lies in the 25-man roster which is full. An injury requiring an IL stint would in fact create an opening on the 25-man and therefore a path to the bigs. The only other way would be to designate someone for assignment. Unfortunately, White and Kemp are out of options and would most likely be claimed by another team if they were. 

• Like 2

Another point of the 40 man roster they are exempt from the rule 5 draft in offseason. So if the Astros placed Yordan on the 40 man list they would forfeit the 40th man who had to be protected to place Yordan who did not need 40 man protection this year. Still with all these underachieving vets it should be easy to find room on the roster just harder to find a hitting slot for a team that recently won a World Series.

off the top of my head and looking into a crystal ball the comp is eddie murray

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lavaman said:

Projected call-up fairly soon?

I’m starting to monitor Kemp, white and maybe even gurriel more than yordan.   He’s MLB ready,   Barring a injury or a complete fall from a cliff for 2 of these players, it ain’t happening.  These guys have no options left and from what I understand Kemp is Just as valuable for his off field stuff as his baseball talent.  Houston’s slumping so who knows?  Managers want to keep their jobs so they have to win.  No point in building a farm system for “the next guy.”   Could be mid May and he turns into bellinger 2017, or he could be this years eloy where posters like myself whine and complain about no call up.  None of what I said is new though.  Man, we don’t even know if he’d get the call over tucker.  No one knows,but i probably wouldn’t stash in a redraft.

Edited by Cesare13
  • Like 1