Packdog

Jamaal Williams 2017 Outlook

6 hours ago, Nap Time said:

He's a great runner, the best on the roster.  The only thing holding him back is blitz pickup and injuries.

I picked him with the idea if stashing him. He'll still get touches  because Ty can't handle a full workload.  It's only a matter of time before he gets hurt. 

I'm confused blitz pick up is holding him back but he's the best pass blocker? So ty is great at blitz pick up? But not at pass blocking?

The biggest thing holding him back was the guy is a practice day beast evidently but when he was seen in games he was horrible mr 1.7 yards a carry or something like that and wasn't dynamic. So how about we say the thing holding him back is he's not the best running back on the team? Aaron Jones looked better than this guy.

4 hours ago, hard1 said:

I'm confused blitz pick up is holding him back but he's the best pass blocker? So ty is great at blitz pick up? But not at pass blocking?

The biggest thing holding him back was the guy is a practice day beast evidently but when he was seen in games he was horrible mr 1.7 yards a carry or something like that and wasn't dynamic. So how about we say the thing holding him back is he's not the best running back on the team? Aaron Jones looked better than this guy.

Aaron Jones is the better back.  This is the classic case of draft round delusion.  Jones has been the better back for most of the camp.  The fact that they were both mid-late round picks means you can throw draft stock out the window.  I’ve been to Packers camp and have seen it in person.  Jones is the guy to get. 

7 minutes ago, iheartrubio said:

Aaron Jones is the better back.  This is the classic case of draft round delusion.  Jones has been the better back for most of the camp.  The fact that they were both mid-late round picks means you can throw draft stock out the window.  I’ve been to Packers camp and have seen it in person.  Jones is the guy to get. 

Besides being to Packers camp, do you have any beat writer/coachspeak chatter that may support that? 

I'm not sold that J.Williams is the direct cuff to TY either, and I"m questioning his roster spot on my squad. 

16 minutes ago, Mahomet said:

Besides being to Packers camp, do you have any beat writer/coachspeak chatter that may support that? 

I'm not sold that J.Williams is the direct cuff to TY either, and I"m questioning his roster spot on my squad. 

Nothing in print but most of the main podcast have pointed it out. 

1 hour ago, Mahomet said:

The one thing I have learned about packers rbs over the years is don't believe the coach speak about them, just watch the games and you will see exactly  who or if you need to own a rb on this offense.

9 hours ago, hard1 said:

I'm confused

Indeed.  You need to go back and re-read our posts. 

T. Montgomery is a vastly better runner than Williams, Jones, et al.

With the season coming to a start and the uncertainty between J.Williams and A.Jones as the primary back up if TY ever goes down I decide to drop and pick up L.Bell back up instead as a Bell owner I guess if you have the bench spot seems like a flyer during the season. Getting off the train for now

TYMont looks good but there's no way he's going to hold up. Williams is one of the top handcuffs IMO.

Do we still think Williams is a good handcuff hold?

I'm debating Williams versus Deandre Washington at the moment.  I see an old Lynch for the Raiders and Washington showed last year he can be pretty productive when given chances.  I know Washington would split with Richard though if Lynch were out.....

Back to Williams though....I just don't know.  First of all, it seems Montgomery is clearly way ahead of him at the moment although I'm not sure Ty can hold up.  However, if Montgomery were out, I'm not sure Williams would even become "the guy".  I'd bet the Packers would use some combination of Williams, Jones and Ripkowski.  not to mention, all the Packers want to do is throw anyways as they have proven the past few years they are not a team that will pound the running game.  I spent a couple years owning Lacy and even that was frustrating watching Rodgers always throwing inside the 5 yard line.

So I don't know about Williams.  He doesn't look all that special as a runner to me from what I've seen and frankly, I'm not sure I'd feel good about starting him even if Ty were inactive in a game.

Oakland has that other RB too, you don't think if Lynch goes down they'll split work? I think Williams is further ahead of his competition than Washington personally. A lot of these handcuff stashes have questions regarding how heavy their workload will actually be though.

I think Williams would end up splitting carries & work if Montgomery were to get hurt.  

5 minutes ago, Red Dog said:

I think Williams would end up splitting carries & work if Montgomery were to get hurt.  

I agree.  I'm seeing less upside of holding Williams....think there are probably higher upside handcuffs or better shots in the dark to take.

5 minutes ago, tts42572 said:

I agree.  I'm seeing less upside of holding Williams....think there are probably higher upside handcuffs or better shots in the dark to take.

In terms of "shots in the dark" it doesn't get much better than the Green Bay offense. I'd like to know what some names are with higher upside that are widely available. 

For the record, DeAndre Washington would split and has a low ceiling. 

10 minutes ago, tts42572 said:

Would love to take a shot on him but have kamara+carson stashed. I dont think Monty can take a full season without injury but the question is when does he get injured will the touches be avaialble to next man up. We saw last year when lacey went  down Rodgers didnt even need his rb except to give his arm a rest

Pick him up right before the late evening game on Sunday. Drop him afterwards. No downside. Upside is you could gain an every week RB2 if something happens to Ty and not have to waste a waiver pick.

Just now, dashoe said:

Would love to take a shot on him but have kamara+carson stashed. I dont think Monty can take a full season without injury but the question is when does he get injured will the touches be avaialble to next man up. We saw last year when lacey went  down Rodgers didnt even need his rb except to give his arm a rest

I think that's basically why I'm down on Williams.  I mean, GB will literally go halves without even thinking about running the ball.  They only run it to keep deffenses honest or give Rodgers a rest like you say.

Those are two good stashes.  

I just don't know if I see Williams as much of a start even if Ty were out of the picture.  They'd probably use Ripkowski, Williams and even Jones all in some tandem for the 8-10 times a game they'd run the ball.  

12 minutes ago, charliehustler said:

Jordy and Cobb down. I love how GB uses Montgomery at RB but they may need him to play some emergency WR which will open carries up for jamaal 

Are they both out?

21 minutes ago, charliehustler said:

Jordy and Cobb down. I love how GB uses Montgomery at RB but they may need him to play some emergency WR which will open carries up for jamaal 

giphy.gif

21 minutes ago, David447 said:

Are they both out?

Jordy was out almost the whole game and Cobb was sidelined in the fourth when GB was trying to come back. Sorry I had to type actual words and didn't have a gif of  starlet on hand to explain the situation. I thought maybe we could use these things for spreading helpful info is all. But I'd personally guess that they might like to have a 2nd string RB in rather than a 6th string WE or 4th string TE

19 minutes ago, charliehustler said:

Jordy was out almost the whole game and Cobb was sidelined in the fourth when GB was trying to come back. Sorry I had to type actual words and didn't have a gif of  starlet on hand to explain the situation. I thought maybe we could use these things for spreading helpful info is all. But I'd personally guess that they might like to have a 2nd string RB in rather than a 6th string WE or 4th string TE

Hey it's def possible...they get Cincy next week so they should steamroll that team...only reason I asked is haven't heard what their outlook is...plus I just traded for Jordy in one league

I don't know.  It didn't seem like they moved Ty over to WR and brought in Jamaal when Cobb went out.

I think this guy is purely a handcuff at this point, and he has no standalone value.  Which for me personally means he's hard to roster.

Even if Ty did get injured, there's that other rookie RB they have as well who probably shares the load.