TX Babe Ruth

Greg Olsen 2017 Season Outlook

The panthers have a little over 15 million under the salary cap and they need to pay ole reliable, Greg Olsen.

He's coming off back to back to back 1,000+ receiving yards and has been Cam's security blanket. 

He's one of the top at his position even though he's no spring chicken, but nonetheless, it's time to pay. 

He's been at minicamp so no signs of holding out.

Source: Charlotte Observer - Joseph Person

Carolina Panthers TE Greg Olsen hopes to receive a new deal that would pay him like one of the top tight ends in the NFL, according to sources. His $7.5 million per year average ranks seventh among tight ends in the NFL.

Only TE in NFL history with 3 consecutive 1000 yard receiving seasons. Extremely high floor because Anderson targets him even more than Cam. 

Since Gettleman is gone with the wind, hopefully, Olsen could get his contract deal done. 

Pay the man!

Seems like a good value at 5.06 when a guy like Kelce is going at 4.02.

(ADPs from fantasyfootballcalculator standard scoring.)

I don't think it was the annual amount but the added years supposedly requested by Olsen camp in extension that is the hangup. How many more elite years do you expect him to have ?

Pay him for what he has already done. For years he has been the #1WR at the TE pay.

1 hour ago, TX Babe Ruth said:

Pay him for what he has already done. For years he has been the #1WR at the TE pay.

That is not and never will be how the league works. 

41 minutes ago, Ravensdan said:

That is not and never will be how the league works. 

Unless you're a future HOF on his last legs (2003 Emmitt Smith, 2015 Peyton Manning come to mind). 

1 hour ago, joshua18 said:

Unless you're a future HOF on his last legs (2003 Emmitt Smith, 2015 Peyton Manning come to mind). 

I don't remember the specifics of Smith but the Colts were planning to get quite a few more years out of Manning. They didn't anticipate the meck injury shutting him down at the time. Irsay is also an egotistical moron and he wanted to pay more in some vague one up to New England even though they could never beat them any other way. That's not a normal NFL business model and certainly doesn't apply to a good tight end. 

15 minutes ago, Ravensdan said:

I don't remember the specifics of Smith but the Colts were planning to get quite a few more years out of Manning. They didn't anticipate the meck injury shutting him down at the time. Irsay is also an egotistical moron and he wanted to pay more in some vague one up to New England even though they could never beat them any other way. That's not a normal NFL business model and certainly doesn't apply to a good tight end. 

I was referring to Peyton's 2015 contract (long after IND cut him). He was way overpaid, but the defense carried them to a SB so no one remembers. ARI really overpaid for Smith, and it didn't help them much. 

7 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

I was referring to Peyton's 2015 contract (long after IND cut him). He was way overpaid, but the defense carried them to a SB so no one remembers. ARI really overpaid for Smith, and it didn't help them much. 

Ok well that's bad free agency decision tgere which there are tons of examples of that. The original post was they should pay him for what he already did which no GM is going to do. And pretty foolish to even suggest. 

How do people feel about his outlook? I feel like this guy is underrated every year. Does the addition of Christian and more emphasis on short passing effect him negatively? 

Anybody watch the game Sunday? Was pretty dissapointed in his 1 point fantasy performance. Supposedly Cam looked pretty rusty out there. I only have 1 tightend in the 2 leagues I own him in so wondering if I should be rostering someone else. Then again its week 1 no hitting the panic button lol

I had it on since he was the only player I had in all 3 afternoon games. I wasn't like zoned in, watching every single play or anything, it was more background noise, so my input isn't that vital. 

It seemed Olsen was blocking far more than he was receiving. Cam looked average, and the commentators were saying something about a shoulder injury (which I know nothing about, whether it's something he HAS or HAD or whatever the situation is). We know Olsen to be a safety blanket for Cam, so I wouldn't panic. A disappointing showing either way. He did get some good targets, IIRC.

Panthers fan here. The gamescript didn't need for Olsen to do much. The Niners game was a tune up for Cam to shake the rust off, being his first real action back. They were running the ball and controlling the clock and letting the defense take care of things. Olsen will get his pts don't worry. He's in literally every formation, not missing snaps and is Cam's guy. The best part about Olsen is you never really have to worry about carrying another emergency TE, unlike the other Band-Aids. He's the Cal Ripken Jr of them. It seemed like all the star TE across the league did absolutely nothing last week anyways, so it wasn't that big a deal since most of us were neutralizing the other dude's lame performance. 

Edited by Wyzzil

Not worried but looking at the box score it was annoying McCaffrey got double Olsen's targets. I'm sure Olsen will still get his when all said & done

Any Panthers fan here to confirm if he really has a broken foot?

34 minutes ago, Taipan said:

Any Panthers fan here to confirm if he really has a broken foot?

It's broken, he's out indefinitely.

12 minutes ago, martinjlm said:

Drop?

The fact that he sucked week 1 makes the decision especially easy