TX Babe Ruth

Greg Olsen 2017 Season Outlook

16 hours ago, RogerGoodell said:

He did nothing even before he got hurt. Easy drop.

A lot of that was Cam's poor play. If he picks things up like he did this week, Olsen could be a good asset when he comes back.

16 hours ago, cdd10 said:

why are you rostering gordon? 

It's my no-money league, so I'm just doing it for the thrill of the ride.

When is this dude expected back again? With all the short throws Cam did tonight and the way the running game has struggled dramatically this dude should have a ton of value once he comes back (especially in PPR). He is currently on waivers in my league and I have Kelce and a pretty deep bench but I want to keep tabs on him since he would probably be a valuable add if not anything more than for me to ship him to a TE needy team (there are plenty with how weak/shallow the position has been). 

Edited by Jaw1

9 minutes ago, Jaw1 said:

When is this dude expected back again? With all the short throws Cam did tonight and the way the running game has struggled dramatically this dude should have a ton of value once he comes back (especially in PPR). He is currently on waivers in my league and I have Kelce and a pretty deep bench but I want to keep tabs on him since he would probably be a valuable add if not anything more than for me to ship him to a TE needy team (there are plenty with how weak/shallow the position has been). 

Week 12

6 minutes ago, martinjlm said:

Week 12

Oh yeah I was thinking of his original 6-8 week timeline for his injury and not accounting for the fact he is on IR and can't even return until week 12 even if he is healthy and able to play before then. I guess its a bit premature to commit a roster spot to him and better to let him remain hidden on WW especially with all the intriguing dart throws that seem to be popping up on a weekly basis. 

20 minutes ago, gus030 said:

Are people still holding this guy?  I saw someone in my league just drop him

this article seems to suggest he is so far on schedule to play week 12

http://pantherswire.usatoday.com/2017/10/11/greg-olsen-on-schedule-to-return-for-panthers/

He's a FA in all 3 of my leagues.. in the league I'm currently streaming Kittle I am thinking about stashing him 

57 minutes ago, gus030 said:

Are people still holding this guy?  I saw someone in my league just drop him

this article seems to suggest he is so far on schedule to play week 12

http://pantherswire.usatoday.com/2017/10/11/greg-olsen-on-schedule-to-return-for-panthers/

I’m stashing him in my IR spot. He should be back in time for the playoffs. In the meantime, been rolling with Brate, who’s turned out to be a pretty solid replacement.

3 minutes ago, JEREMY LIN said:

Anybody looking to stash this dude? He's returning week 10 I believe. 

No, he's eligible to resume practicing week 10. If all goes well then he returns week 12 against the Jets after the Panthers bye.

Just now, Wyzzil said:

No, he's eligible to resume practicing week 10. If all goes well then he returns week 12 against the Jets after the Panthers bye.

Thanks for the clarification. With that said, are you looking to pick him up?

Just now, JEREMY LIN said:

Thanks for the clarification. With that said, are you looking to pick him up?

He's currently on my bench. I've dropped and picked him up seemingly every week now playing keep away. I draft him every year, so I don't have the heart to fully get rid of him. So far Hunter Henry has been my replacement and it's been getting me by. I'm a Panthers fan, so I've been following the situation closely and he looks to be progressing nicely, maybe even a week or two better than expected from what I've heard. He's extremely tough, so even with a screw in his foot I can see him being close to his former self for the playoff stretch. They really need him as an outlet for Cam. If you have the space and desperate at TE (many of us are) then go for it, but if you're good at the position you can probably let him go or maybe try and get him back when he's closer to his return. 

Even when he comes back, I strongly believe they try to work dickson into the offense more. So while olsen may get most of the TE targets, dickson will probably steal a decent amount.

Looks like he's recovering pretty well.  What do people think about stashing him?

Im 3-4 and have been streaming TEs all year but I think I'd rather stash Olsen for the next 4 weeks than hold onto a flier I'll likely never start.

I'm halfway thinking about picking him up to use as barter. I have Ertz so no need for a TE but on name value alone I may be able to get a late season improvement somewhere through a trade.

how many times has a player come back after breaking his foot in the same season and had an impact?

8 minutes ago, 77georgec said:

how many times has a player come back after breaking his foot in the same season and had an impact?

Dez Bryant 2015. Came back too early though.  And wasn't 100%.

Edited by RustyMiller

Did anyone with the Panthers publicly confirm it was a Jones fracture? I want to say there was some research showing that it takes a football player a full season to get back to their pre-injury condition after a Jones fracture. 6-8 weeks is best-case scenario to be able to play. But that doesn't mean the player is going to be 100%. We have seen guys like Watkins/Dez/Edelman/Julio all struggle after foot surgery and sometimes even needing a second operation to get things back to normal. It definitely could be a lost season/underperforming ROS if Olsen does come back this season to play. Foot injuries are no joke.

1 hour ago, 77georgec said:

1 hour ago, burninglegs said:

Did anyone with the Panthers publicly confirm it was a Jones fracture? I want to say there was some research showing that it takes a football player a full season to get back to their pre-injury condition after a Jones fracture. 6-8 weeks is best-case scenario to be able to play. But that doesn't mean the player is going to be 100%. We have seen guys like Watkins/Dez/Edelman/Julio all struggle after foot surgery and sometimes even needing a second operation to get things back to normal. It definitely could be a lost season/underperforming ROS if Olsen does come back this season to play. Foot injuries are no joke.

Even if you don't believe he'll be a top 5 TE when he comes back it still looks like he's returning in week 12 and he'll be a very good trade chip in a few weeks.

Considering how the TE wire is a barren wasteland, a half dead Olsen can't be any worse than some of the plugs that have been getting us 0-2 pts a week. 

28 minutes ago, Wyzzil said:

Considering how the TE wire is a barren wasteland, a half dead Olsen can't be any worse than some of the plugs that have been getting us 0-2 pts a week. 

But is a half dead Olsen better than a Dickson.  He's been getting more and more involved as the season goes.

1 hour ago, RustyMiller said:

But is a half dead Olsen better than a Dickson.

But not as good as an ASJ or an Engram.

Relevant question is, Is a half-dead Olsen better than who's on and off the waiver wire? Because if an owner is thinking Olsen, he probably is weak at TE. Is a Olsen at 50% (and Cam at whatever this is) better than a Miller, a Hooper, a JThomas?

3 hours ago, RustyMiller said:

But is a half dead Olsen better than a Dickson.  He's been getting more and more involved as the season goes.

Dickson is not getting more involved as the season goes on. Not sure where you got that from? Every Panthers fan can agree that they have the worst OC in the league. Shula isn't creative, has horrible play design and doesn't make adjustments for anything. He never plays to anyone's strength or mismatches. Dickson's random production 3 weeks ago has mainly been dudes leaving him wide open. He isn't a focal point in the offense at all. He just happens to be on the field and if Cam finds him then he finds him. Once Olsen comes back they're just going to have Dickson back to his old role. Cam trusts Olsen and barring gamescripts where they have the lead and can run the ball well and sit on the leads like weeks 1 and 2 (not happening anymore) then he will stare down Greg like crazy, unlike Dickson.