ajs723

Tarik Cohen 2017 Outlook

Recommended Posts

You can throw in all the caveats you want (he's small, he can't run between the tackles, he faced inferior competition, etc.), but holy crap does this kid have moves. His college highlights are more fun to watch than any back I've seen in a long time. Yeah, he probably won't have much value this season, but I could see him turning into an even faster version of Sproles or Riddick. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a gut feeling he'll get some decent playing time this year.  I wouldn't be surprised if they have some special packages for him and we see him on passing downs.  Maybe 20 to 30 receptions on the season.  If anything he should be used as a returner.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, TX Babe Ruth said:

Reminds me of Ray Rice.

Ray was a lot thicker and more gangster on the field (unfortunately off the field too)... more like Brian Westbrook to me with the stop and start on a dime ability ,not going to be your first and goal at one rb but is quick enough at adjusting from one gap to the other and finding a crease to a functional early down back like Westbrook as a runner

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

21 hours ago, Hawkeye21 said:

I have a gut feeling he'll get some decent playing time this year.  I wouldn't be surprised if they have some special packages for him and we see him on passing downs.  Maybe 20 to 30 receptions on the season.  If anything he should be used as a returner.

 

Reminds me of Dave Meggett with outstanding shiftiness; 125 all-purpose yards in Super Bowl XXV thanks to Rodney Hampton's injury, then in 1996, 1966 all-purpose yards. If you play in a league that rewards kick returning, Tarik should be a good get, and if your league awards punt return yardage as well I'd think he's a must get. Otherwise, he's only a late round hopeful, though I would like to see if the Bears will utilize him to round out Howard's talents.

 

Sadly, Dave Meggett is serving 30 years in prison.... wonder if concussions had a part in his stupid life choices 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great game for him today. Have a feeling he's gonna cut into jordan howard's value a little bit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, psygolf said:

He will outproduce McCaffrey per touch this year.

 

I want some of whatever you are smoking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's two straight games I've seen him in where he jumps off the screen.

 

He should take over the backup spot for Langford, correct?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, chpatte4 said:

 

I want some of whatever you are smoking.

Let me know when he hasn't

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, psygolf said:

Let me know when he hasn't

nvm... I see he's a couple of ticks behind.

 

Nothing to see here in Cohen, please ignore this player for the rest of the month...please.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SuperSurgeMC said:

That's two straight games I've seen him in where he jumps off the screen.

 

He should take over the backup spot for Langford, correct?

 

Langford really isn't offering a lot to the team lately.  Cohen, Carey and Cunningham have all shown their worth.  Even Rounds looks half way decent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, psygolf said:

He will outproduce McCaffrey per touch this year.

That's a pretty empty prediction. McCaffrey is slotted for a large workload and Cohen is looking at a change of pace role. Year to year if you look at the YPC (or touch) the change of pace guys always have higher YAC than actual lead backs. They face softer fronts, nickle defensive packages, much smaller sample size, etc.

 

Cohen reminds me of Andre Ellington in his rookie year. Ellington saw limited touches and was explosive as a change of pace back logging 5.5 YPC. Then when given a starters workload he fizzled and came back down to reality. 

 

What I'm trying to say is Cohen could log an outrageous 6.0 YPC as a rookie but he will not outscore MCaffrey in fantasy points barring injury. So unless your league gives fantasy points for YPC/YPR, McCaffrey will be the better fantasy asset. 

 

That being said, I'm still not sold on Howard so he is a decent flier in deep leagues. 

Edited by munde53

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, munde53 said:

That's a pretty empty prediction. McCaffrey is slotted for a large workload and Cohen is looking at a change of pace role. Year to year if you look at the YPC (or touch) the change of pace guys always have higher YAC than actual lead backs. They face softer fronts, nickle defensive packages, much smaller sample size, etc.

 

Cohen reminds me of Andre Ellington in his rookie year. Ellington saw limited touches and was explosive as a change of pace back logging 5.5 YPC. Then when given a starters workload he fizzled and came back down to reality. 

 

What I'm trying to say is Cohen could log an outrageous 6.0 YPC as a rookie but he will not outscore MCaffrey in fantasy points barring injury. So unless your league gives fantasy points for YPC/YPR, McCaffrey will be the better fantasy asset. 

 

That being said, I'm still not sold on Howard so he is a decent flier in deep leagues. 

 

 

Bingo. A smaller workload is going to make it easier to average more per touch.  McCaff is going to have to grind, at times.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, psygolf said:

nvm... I see he's a couple of ticks behind.

 

Nothing to see here in Cohen, please ignore this player for the rest of the month...please.

Agreed. Too short, too small. Preseason games are meaningless. Garbage. Do not draft. Will a mod please come and lock this thread for a couple weeks. This is getting out of hand. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, munde53 said:

That's a pretty empty prediction. McCaffrey is slotted for a large workload and Cohen is looking at a change of pace role. Year to year if you look at the YPC (or touch) the change of pace guys always have higher YAC than actual lead backs. They face softer fronts, nickle defensive packages, much smaller sample size, etc.

 

Cohen reminds me of Andre Ellington in his rookie year. Ellington saw limited touches and was explosive as a change of pace back logging 5.5 YPC. Then when given a starters workload he fizzled and came back down to reality. 

 

What I'm trying to say is Cohen could log an outrageous 6.0 YPC as a rookie but he will not outscore MCaffrey in fantasy points barring injury. So unless your league gives fantasy points for YPC/YPR, McCaffrey will be the better fantasy asset. 

 

That being said, I'm still not sold on Howard so he is a decent flier in deep leagues. 

I did not say draft Cohen over McCaffrey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Rizzle630 said:

 

 

Bingo. A smaller workload is going to make it easier to average more per touch.  McCaff is going to have to grind, at times.

*If the bear would bother to throw a pass or two Cohen's way, I might be will to project that they will see similar touches (should Stewart stay healthy) ...but they haven't.

 

*Maybe the bear already knows something...wink.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't see how the Bears don't game plan for him to get a handful of touches each game. He has a burst/explosiveness that nobody else on the roster has.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The one thing i don't like about his game is that he runs too physical, not just for his size, but for anyone. He's got to learn to avoid hard direct shots from defenders like the one he took from Mathieu. Granted, he spun out of it, but he's going to get lit up/concussed sooner rather than later. Beyond that the acceleration and burst is pretty amazing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, cousinal111 said:

I don't see how the Bears don't game plan for him to get a handful of touches each game. He has a burst/explosiveness that nobody else on the roster has.

 

The Bears have an incompetent front office and coaching staff (offensively), so yes it's pretty easy to see a scenario in which Tarik is not given an amount of work commensurate with his apparent talent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/20/2017 at 11:54 AM, pikerbkb said:

Agreed. Too short, too small. Preseason games are meaningless. Garbage. Do not draft. Will a mod please come and lock this thread for a couple weeks. This is getting out of hand. 

 

Have you actually watched him play? I really feel like you're not giving him enough credit. I understand howard is the lead back and is gonna get most of the touches, but he's nowhere near as quick or agile as cohen. If the bears don't use him a significant amount they're just being stupid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, grimsfield said:

 

Have you actually watched him play? I really feel like you're not giving him enough credit. I understand howard is the lead back and is gonna get most of the touches, but he's nowhere near as quick or agile as cohen. If the bears don't use him a significant amount they're just being stupid.

 

Piker was being sarcastic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.