ajs723

Tarik Cohen 2017 Outlook

3 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

I don't see it. He seems like a flex at best to me. Howard is there and he won't be getting more than 10 touches a lot of the time. 

I didnt watch the the game did he split out as a WR at times with Howard still in the game? That's the only way the hype makes sense to me. 

Howard got his TD when Tarik came in and took as direct snap as the QB. Everyone expected a Tarik run and Howard took it to the house instead.

I'm telling you, these two are going to feed off of eachother. This wasn't some fluke.

9 minutes ago, BronXBombers51 said:

Pumping the brakes on this guy hard. This is a receiving back on the Chicago Bears. Whether he's an electric talent or not, situation matters.

Even if his fantasy value has been torpedoed, Jordan Howard does still exist and will get the vast majority of carries if healthy. That puts Cohen in the Theo Riddick role, except in a much worse offense. That player has value certainly, but he ain't a league-winner. Let's jump to an insane conclusion and say Cohen is peak Darren Sproles...even Sproles wasn't a league-winning player and his biggest years came during peak Saints with Drew Brees at QB. Cohen has Mike Glennon and...Kendall Wright?

Sproles, Woodhead, Riddick, Bilal Powell - all guys who have proven a receiving back, specifically in PPR leagues can finish top 10-15... this guy could be a difference maker.

Is they hype outta control.  Yeah, it's rotoworld, so to be expected.

But this guy passes the eye test and could be a valuable asset.  

4 minutes ago, Trifecta said:

Let's not disregard something that may seem counter-intuitive: a bad "team" situation doesn't always translate to a bad individual player situation. 

Some of the hidden positives:

Bears figure to be playing from behind a lot, putting Cohen on the field as the superior pass catching option (it's not even close)

Bears don't have a lot of playmakers, hence why Cohen received 12 targets in his NFL debut.

Bears are desperate for someone other than Howard who can make a positive impact. 

I actually think there are more situational positives than negatives for this guy.

I don't necessarily disagree with your points, but I don't think they make him close to an elite fantasy play.

I think if you get this guy, you're hoping he's what Theo Riddick was last year. I don't mean that as an insult...Riddick was good last year. He's not a dude who's going to win your league though, and I feel like that's how Cohen is being treated.

Just now, BronXBombers51 said:

I don't necessarily disagree with your points, but I don't think they make him close to an elite fantasy play.

I think if you get this guy, you're hoping he's what Theo Riddick was last year. I don't mean that as an insult...Riddick was good last year. He's not a dude who's going to win your league though, and I feel like that's how Cohen is being treated.

I picked up Darren Sproles off waivers back in 2011 and he was one of the biggest reasons I made the playoffs that year.  Not only that but would have won the championship in my co-owner didn't bench Sproles right before the game started because he had a gut feeling.

It's possible Cohen could be that guy.  No way of knowing until it's too late though.

I have a waiver claim for Tarik in every league I am in....

fluke or is he the real deal?

some of you believe in every freakin player so I have no clue

Just now, Hawkeye21 said:

I picked up Darren Sproles off waivers back in 2011 and he was one of the biggest reasons I made the playoffs that year.  Not only that but would have won the championship in my co-owner didn't bench Sproles right before the game started because he had a gut feeling.

It's possible Cohen could be that guy.  No way of knowing until it's too late though.

Anything is possible. I just don't think it's particularly probable.

Sproles was a ~top 10 RB that year on a monstrous offense with a first-ballot HOF QB. Top 10ish at his position. Not David Johnson. Not Arian Foster. A really good, really solid back-end RB1. That was PEAK Darren Sproles.

Cohen is going to be as good or BETTER than that? On the Bears? 

2 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

As a DJ owner putting a claim in for Tarik, I hope he's the real deal

Nobody can predict what the future beholds but you can see talent + opportunity and make predictions about what might happen in the future. 

Why do you care so much about what other people think? Take responsibility for your team and make decisions yourself. Otherwise you will keep blaming others for why certain players didn't work out. 

Do you see Cohen's talent?

Do you see the opportunity he has on that team?  

Make your decision based off of the talent + opportunity + situation. Those 3 pillars are what you need to make every decision off of. 

13 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Was that the year Sproles had 3 rushing TDs against the Titans in week 16 / championship game?

I remember I lost because of that outlier, was salty for years lol.

Just now, burninglegs said:

Nobody can predict what the future beholds but you can see talent + opportunity and make predictions about what might happen in the future. 

Why do you care so much about what other people think? Take responsibility for your team and make decisions yourself. Otherwise you will keep blaming others for why certain players didn't work out. 

Make your decision based off of the talent + opportunity + situation. Those 3 pillars are what you need to make every decision off of. 

who the hell do you think you are?

I have never blame anybody for my stupid mistakes..... the way this internet thing works I seen every play Tarik was in last week.

I liked what i seen so I made waiver claims.

I think Cohen is a great benefit in the offense that he is in.  Esp with the top receiver going down and the Bears total offense in flux, he is just going to flourish. 

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see him score more overall fantasy points this season than Howard.

Howard will have the better rushing numbers, but overall fantasy points, I think Cohen will beat him out....just my bold prediction.

45 minutes ago, SuperHans said:

What to do. No one here seems to think fluke or only big game in here. 

No one who gets 12 targets is a fluke. Especially not a RB. 

Would anyone be surprised if that was his best game of the year?

Falcons gave up the most receptions to RBs last season.  Teams eventually will game plan for him.

With that being said, he certainly passes the eye test and looked dynamic out there.  Bears may even start adding more plays for him.

Must-add in PPR leagues.  But don't forget it's week 1, this is a marathon.  We'll see what he can do going forward. 

He was my sleeper this year.  

Cohen has been compared to Sproles, who is also pretty good for his age.

Edited by phatrat
Cool Story removed.

who the hell do you think you are?

I have never blame anybody for my stupid mistakes..... the way this internet thing works I seen every play Tarik was in last week.

I liked what i seen so I made waiver claims.

11 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

Says it all. You have no clue because you aren't making a determination of situation + talent + opportunity but rather going off of what RW forums say. 

7 minutes ago, burninglegs said:

agreed, make your own decisions, at the end of the day it's your squad

21 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

No one who gets 12 targets is a fluke. Especially not a RB. 

Shane Vereen had 10 targets this week. He has 7 career games with double-digit targets. Theo Riddick has 6 career games with double-digit targets.

Just some perspective. 

He's going to have stand alone value especially in PPR leagues. That doesn't mean I think he's going to take away from Howard at all though. With Chicago losing two of their top WRs they are going to need to fill that void in the passing game. This is an ideal spot for Cohen to be used not only in traditional quick routes, wheels, and check downs, but also lining him up wide for slants/screens or using the wildcat. There are so many different ways he can be used that I find it hard to believe he doesn't continue to see 12-15 touches per game. I feel like 5 carries per week to go along with 8-10 targets is not unrealistic.

New posters should be sent to this thread to get a very good perspective of this forum.

Every player is good no player is bad. Every player is going to be goat. Every thread is full of overreaction and hype that is off the charts.

Good grief some people in here acting like this guy is Sanders 2.0.

Edited by Gohawks

Would owning Howard make you more or less inclined to go after him aggressively on the wire this week? 

I'm sure a Howard injury would increase his role somewhat, but I'm not sure he's cut out to be a bellcow, so I don't think it's strictly a handcuff situation.  Then, if you get him and Howard stays healthy, you have to face the idea of starting 2 Bears RBs each week to get any value out of him.

It's a tough situation.

Loved this guys potential before the season, drafted him in all leagues the last round as a stash, and I'm pretty pumped for it. I feel great about flexing him, the Bears don't have many options in their offense so both Howard and Cohen will get plenty of targets. Especially in PPR, I think Cohen will have enough volume to be a comfortable flex. As electric as eh looks, I'm not getting ahead of myself here. I think he is going to have some great weeks, but I also think he will have some down weeks. Overall I think he will end up being a solid flex player with the ability of having big games mixed in. If he ends up being more than that, then I will be absolutely pumped, but I'll take what I can get out of him and enjoy the ride.

Edited by italyjg21