ajs723

Tarik Cohen 2017 Outlook

4 minutes ago, David447 said:

I need this guy bad for my flex spot. He can't do any worse than Powell or Perkins did last week. Btw I don't think he hurts Howard's value. If anything he helps it bc they stand a greater chance of moving the ball w more legit weapons on the field. 

This is a unique point that makes a lot of theoretical sense. 

I usually wait for an injury to force a guy like cohen into a bell cow role before dropping all of my budget on one player. But i do understand the argument that he has independent value and could be used as a flex in ppr if you're team really sucks and you went zero RB. Coaches also gameplay for different teams differently so I would wait until he proves he actually has a sustainable role in the offense. Falcons D has been forcing teams to use Rbs more than usual since last season.

3 minutes ago, Panthers8912 said:

Good for you man. I usually wait for an injury to force a guy like cohen into a bell cow role before dropping all of my budget on one player. But i do understand the argument that he has independent value and could be used as a flex in ppr if you're team really sucks and you went zero RB. Coaches also gameplay for different teams differently so I would wait until he proves he actually has a sustainable role in the offense. Falcons D has been forcing teams to use Rbs more than usual since last season.

How much would you blow on a McCaffrey if he were available?

Why is it crazy to think Cohen is any different as far as how they will be featured going forward?

If anything I'd argue McCaffrey will see less touches going forward than Cohen.

Just now, meverett85 said:

How much would you blow on a McCaffrey if he were available?

Why is it crazy to think Cohen is any different as far as how they will be featured going forward?

If anything I'd argue McCaffrey will see less touches going forward than Cohen.

big panthers fan, did not want CMC at his adp at all. Idk why people thought he would be the feature back. 

So no, he might be used similarly to mcaffrey (i doubt he gets more use than him btw), but i don't think CMC is that good (in fantasy) anyways. I prefer bell cow backs with guaranteed workloads.

Like I said, I get the appeal if you went zero rb in ppr, but idk why people are talking this guy up like a league winner. Bc of his college highlights? Tavon austin might be a better add then

1 minute ago, Panthers8912 said:

big panthers fan, did not want CMC at his adp at all. Idk why people thought he would be the feature back. 

So no, he might be used similarly to mcaffrey (i doubt he gets more use than him btw), but i don't think CMC is that good (in fantasy) anyways. I prefer bell cow backs with guaranteed workloads.

Like I said, I get the appeal if you went zero rb in ppr, but idk why people are talking this guy up like a league winner. Bc of his college highlights? Tavon austin might be a better add then

Get your eyes checked, dude looked electric, played half the snaps. Nobody saw that coming. He's got NFL highlights now. 

Just now, mmcc1029 said:

Get your eyes checked, dude looked electric, played half the snaps. Nobody saw that coming. He's got NFL highlights now. 

Yeah he did look good, but its been one game!

seriously one game! I hope it works out for y'all but will anyone honestly be surprised if he doesn't repeat week 2?

3 minutes ago, Panthers8912 said:

just curious, are you guys also high on kenny golloday, etc? 

Meh....for starters I have Golden Tate so that impacts my thinking.

Feel like you can grab a Nelson Agohlor as a FA if you are looking for more WR depth/lotto tickets.

11 hours ago, Gohawks said:

New posters should be sent to this thread to get a very good perspective of this forum.

Every player is good no player is bad. Every player is going to be goat. Every thread is full of overreaction and hype that is off the charts.

Good grief some people in here acting like this guy is Sanders 2.0.

Anyone who gets 12 targets in a game is worth stashing. It's how wise owners snagged Cameron Meredith last year before he went off...plenty of other examples. Cohen isn't as attractive in standard leagues IMO.

2 hours ago, meverett85 said:

If there was a redraft tomorrow where would DJ go knowing he would miss the next 12 games and where would Cohen go?

That should answer your question.

Cohen slightly ahead, DJ at 1.02

Normally grabbing Cohen with moderate FAAB wouldnt be an issue, the dude is worthy, problem is teams that lost DJohnson will be desperate and this jacks up the overall FAAB for any week 1 waiver hot RB pick ups.

10 minutes ago, jonasdash said:

People are going nuts for this dude....

Did you watch the highlights?   Given the apportunity,  he will be good. 

http://www.csnchicago.com/chicago-bears/i-dont-give-damn-about-his-stature-tarik-cohen-shows-why-he-can-be-game-changing

The last time Tarik Cohen caught a pass in a game before Sunday, he was playing out of the national spotlight for North Carolina A&T. That created some problems for an Atlanta Falcons defense trying to scrounge up any sort of film on the rookie running back. 

“He didn’t have any catches in the preseason, so we didn’t have a great sense for it,” Falcons coach Dan Quinn said. So Atlanta had to go back to Cohen's college tape to see what kind of a pass-catcher he could be. 

Not only did Cohen not have a catch in his three preseason games, he wasn’t even targeted. The Bears were hiding him and developing plays for him behind the scenes in Bourbonnais and Lake Forest. Those plays were unleashed on Sunday, and will give defensive coordinators plenty to think about as the Bears move forward in 2017. 

“The secret’s out on what we have in him,” quarterback Mike Glennon said. “We knew how good he was going to be with us and he showed that today. His very first game in the NFL, and he did it all. He ran the ball, caught the ball and scored a touchdown. He’s a playmaker and we’re lucky to have him. He’s going to continue to be a big part of our offense.”

Cohen caught eight passes for 47 yards with a touchdown, and rushed five times for 66 yards. He was targeted a team-high 12 times on a day when no other player was targeted more than six times (tight end Zach Miller). The Bears’ receiving corps was targeted a total of 14 times. 

“I knew it was coming,” Cohen said. “It was in the gameplan and I felt like I would have a good matchup for the whole game. That was really why we did that.”

There was more to Cohen’s game than showed up in the box score, though. He was used early and often, and took a number of physical shots from Falcons defenders who seemed to relish the opportunity to batter the 5-foot-6, 181 pound running back. He kept popping back up, though — “I’m used to taking hits,” Cohen said — and then flashed his own physicality on a 19-yard touchdown reception on which he lowered his shoulder into Falcons cornerback Desmond Trufant to get in the end zone. 

“He took shot after shot and he’s the first one up, (saying) ‘Let’s go. Do it again,’” Miller said. “That’s a man. I don’t give a damn about his stature. That dude is a real-life NFL football player.”

Gushed wide receiver Josh Bellamy: “He’s not scared of nothing. He’s not scared, that’s the thing we love about him. He’s tough. He’s small, but he’s tough, he’s got the heart of a lion. And he’s going to run the ball. He doesn’t care what size you are, he’s coming.”

Cohen was at his best, too, when the Bears needed a response to a Falcons touchdown. His 46-yard run — that one where he cut back across the field, "Chicken Salad" style, against an over-pursuing defense — set up Jordan Howard’s game-tying touchdown late in the first half. And to get Howard in the end zone, Cohen took a snap out of a Wildcat formation and handed the ball off. 

After Austin Hooper’s 88-yard fourth quarter touchdown muted the crowd at Soldier Field, it was Cohen who got the Bears back within three points with his first career touchdown. 

“He helped carry our football team through the whole game,” Miller said. 

I just missed out on waivers, but am considering throwing out some trade offers in hope that the other owner will be looking to sell high. 

Does anyone think he could end up getting the coveted RB/WR designation if he keeps lining up at WR on plays when Howard is on the field?

I just can't believe why every analyst and fantasy player would be wrong regarding an almost first round pick (Jordan Howard). The Falcons also didn't expect this, as said in above in NYRfan's  quote. Hence the unexpected surprise in production. Future defenses will focus more on Cohen, which will limit him obviously. I think here's why;

I think we just saw Cohen's ceiling and he's comparable with CJ Prosise for SEA and Dion Lewis for NE at best. If he's really that good and an independent asset for Fantasy Football, he's a Tevin Coleman and I'm not putting him in my line ups for inconsistency. Furthermore, Cohen was on the field for 28 snaps out of 67 , which translates to roughly 40%. Obviously Howard will be the Goalline back, who will also be having the vast majority of the snaps (38 / 57%). Cohen averaged 13.2 avg per carry (5 carries) for 66 yards and 5.9 average on 8 catches (47 yards). By all means, 13.2y per carry can be expected to go down and I don't expect his carries to double as well, which bodes for little rushing yards per game. 5.9y receiving is not really that high as well (also means, there's a good possibility this will go up);

Bell averages 8.8y in his career with 230 catches

Sproles averages 8.7y in his career with 530 catches

Dion Lewis averages 9.0y in his career with 56 catches

Also, this is a one sample research, whereas in Statistics this would be a very bad sample to conclude on. For both negative and positive reasons.

If you want to spend so much FAAB or a high WW pick on these kinda guys, be my guest but I personally want and need steady production (touches x snaps x goalline carries x being the no1 RB) and not a "boom or bust RB" with a really productive RB ahead of him.

For what it's worth; I really loved seeing him play and he was awesome. But for Fantasy Football, I think it's a risky pick. 

You win leagues and lose leagues with risky picks. This is the nature of gambling.

I bought into him in the one league where I could get him (plus I needed RB help) and even if he doesn't reach his ceiling but let's say puts 12-15 points a week, PPR up for me in my RB2 slot, that's 204-264 points for the season which makes him an RB1.

Let's say he only puts up 8-12 points / game the rest of the season in PPR, that puts him at 144 to 204 points for the rest of the season which is still a top 25 back or RB2/RB3 which I got off the WW to fill a gaping hole in my team.

I expect him to fall somewhere in between that and I'm hoping I just bought a solid RB2 with RB1 upside in PPR for the remainder of the year.

Edited by Holben

In PPR + return yard leagues, he will be an RB1 this year. Howard presence allows him to return punts and kicks every game. Otherwise , he will be good for 70 total yards and 4-6 receptions every game , that is PPR RB2 and it is pretty good but not exactly a league winning pick. 

17 minutes ago, Holben said:

You win leagues and lose leagues with risky picks. This is the nature of gambling.

I agree with you on this one, but you can make good rational and argued bets or just total emotional bets. I think you cannot expect him to put up 8-12 points per game, on average. More like 4-8 (6 average), which would make him last years RB37 in standard.

I am also in the wealth of not needing a RB, if you need a RB than you put in more FAAB, just plane sense. It's like anything else in the world; it's worth what the highest bidder wants to give for it, supply and demand. For me he's just not worth it, and I argued why.

Edited by the holy one

8 minutes ago, the holy one said:

I agree with you on this one, but you can make good rational and argued bets or just total emotional bets. I think you cannot expect him to put up 8-12 points per game, on average. More like 4-8 (6 average), which would make him last years RB37 in standard.

I am also in the wealth of not needing a RB, if you need a RB than you put in more FAAB, just plane sense. It's like anything else in the world; it's worth what the highest bidder wants to give for it, supply and demand. For me he's just not worth it, and I argued why.

So the bears are just going to do nothing this season? Or are you talking 4-8 standard? Because he scored 6 with his runs alone and 12 with his receptions alone in PPR. Plus he added a TD.

4-8 ppg for a player like Cohen (seriously, watch his tape) in ppr sounds like bitterness and an emotional response to not getting him off waivers.

I see you are in a standard league so maybe we are just arguing different things, but I clearly said PPR in the part of my post you edited out of your quote.

Edited by Holben

Just now, Holben said:

So the bears are just going to do nothing this season? Or are you talking 4-8 standard? Because he scored 6 with his runs alone and 12 with his receptions alone in PPR. Plus he added a TD.

4-8 ppg for a player like Cohen (seriously, watch his tape) in ppr sounds like bitterness.

I see you are in a standard league so maybe we are just arguing different things, but I clearly said PPR in the part of my post you edited out of your quote.

Agreed upon. My bad. I'm talking standard. Edited my posts as well.

4 minutes ago, the holy one said:

I agree with you on this one, but you can make good rational and argued bets or make just total emotional bets. I think you cannot expect him to put up 8-12 points per game, on average. More like 4-8 (6 average), which would make him last years RB37 in standard.

I somewhat agree with you here....he obviously has more value in PPR because he will be mainly used to catch passes out of the backfield, but because the Bears stink, he should be on the field a lot and getting more touches than Howard. I expect he will have 15 touches per game, give or take a few.  Saying that he will average 5 yards per touch is not unrealistic for a guy with his speed and shiftiness. That puts him at 7.5 points standard. Touchdowns are +6.  So yes, I think you could look at his floor to be 8 and his ceiling to be 14 on any game. Of course I'm not saying he will score a td every game, but every other game is not unrealistic to me. 

17 hours ago, Gohawks said:

New posters should be sent to this thread to get a very good perspective of this forum.

Every player is good no player is bad. Every player is going to be goat. Every thread is full of overreaction and hype that is off the charts.

Good grief some people in here acting like this guy is Sanders 2.0.

Either this, or they have a bad game and they are a "rage drop" / WW garbage / not worth rostering in 4 team leagues.  

2 hours ago, the holy one said:

I just can't believe why every analyst and fantasy player would be wrong regarding an almost first round pick (Jordan Howard). The Falcons also didn't expect this, as said in above in NYRfan's  quote. Hence the unexpected surprise in production. Future defenses will focus more on Cohen, which will limit him obviously. I think here's why;

I think we just saw Cohen's ceiling and he's comparable with CJ Prosise for SEA and Dion Lewis for NE at best. If he's really that good and an independent asset for Fantasy Football, he's a Tevin Coleman and I'm not putting him in my line ups for inconsistency. Furthermore, Cohen was on the field for 28 snaps out of 67 , which translates to roughly 40%. Obviously Howard will be the Goalline back, who will also be having the vast majority of the snaps (38 / 57%). Cohen averaged 13.2 avg per carry (5 carries) for 66 yards and 5.9 average on 8 catches (47 yards). By all means, 13.2y per carry can be expected to go down and I don't expect his carries to double as well, which bodes for little rushing yards per game. 5.9y receiving is not really that high as well (also means, there's a good possibility this will go up);

Bell averages 8.8y in his career with 230 catches

Sproles averages 8.7y in his career with 530 catches

Dion Lewis averages 9.0y in his career with 56 catches

Also, this is a one sample research, whereas in Statistics this would be a very bad sample to conclude on. For both negative and positive reasons.

If you want to spend so much FAAB or a high WW pick on these kinda guys, be my guest but I personally want and need steady production (touches x snaps x goalline carries x being the no1 RB) and not a "boom or bust RB" with a really productive RB ahead of him.

For what it's worth; I really loved seeing him play and he was awesome. But for Fantasy Football, I think it's a risky pick. 

You could be right but like someone already mentioned FF is about taking risks.   I picked him with #2 waiver and here is why:

1.  The quicker and the earliest that i use my waiver the quicker it will come around to me again.   Maybe towards the end. 

2.  I think we are past the days where you have a clear #1 rb on an nfl team.   So that means we already know their backups or if #1 to go down then a rbbc is formed.  So you could sit on #1 waiver waiting for something that wont come and miss out early hot pickups. 

The wr are usually not hot waiver pick ups. 

2 hours ago, Classicrockme said:

Does anyone think he could end up getting the coveted RB/WR designation if he keeps lining up at WR on plays when Howard is on the field?

Considering how long it took Ty Montgomery to get change last year when he was obvious RB, I doubt it.