TX Babe Ruth

Marvin Jones 2017 Outlook

15 minutes ago, Savatage79 said:

A touchdown each week is very inspiring for fantasy purposes

Yeah but if he doesn't get a TD..... wish he was up in the 7-9 targets a game range. Not sure he will get that this season. Thought he would be a late round steal.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, burninglegs said:

Yeah but if he doesn't get a TD..... wish he was up in the 7-9 targets a game range. Not sure he will get that this season. Thought he would be a late round steal.  

Should get a lot better after this week target wise. Literally the worst schedule a perimeter WR could have to start the season other than facing DEN as well.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, burninglegs said:

You're right Marvin's targets have been disappointingly low, 2 week 1 and 5 week 2, but I think it gets better.  Keep in mind he has 2 touchdowns to only 7 targets.  Obviously small sample size

Game 1 he was shadowed by Peterson and Golden Tate was rolling, Game 2 Stafford threw only 21 times.  Stafford has averaged almost twice that in 2016 (37.125) and had 41 in game 1.  If that had been a decent offense... he easily could have seen 9 or 10 targets.

The Lions wont be facing the hapless NY Giants offense every week... in fact they face a lot of high scoring offenses.  ATL, NO, TB, GB, PIT.  They'll need Jones.

Keep in mind he has 2 touchdowns on only 7 targets.  Obviously small sample size but promising.  He's a hold for me for now, especially since this weekend could end up being a shootout and we could have a lot better idea of what to expect.

Edited by Gabbed
  • Like 1

Dont like Marvin ROS. Golladay will usurp him on the depth chart by week6. He may already have out targeting him last week. 

Marvins role he will get tds tds relatively frequently but nothing that you can depend on. Whereas golladay is the one that carries obvious high end wr2 upside in the weeks to come.

Edited by cbe_88

4 minutes ago, cbe_88 said:

Dont like Marvin ROS. Golladay will usurp him on the depth chart by week6. He may already have out targeting him last week. 

Marvins role he will get tds tds relatively frequently but nothing that you can depend on. Whereas golladay is the one that carries obvious high end wr2 upside in the weeks to come.

Golladay didn't out target Jones last week.  He only had 3 targets to Jones' 5 in week 2.  Golladay did out target him in week 1 when no one had any real pro tape on Golladay and Jones was shadowed by Peterson... hard to glean anything concrete from that game other than defenses need to account for Golladay which only helps open up Jones.

Edited by Gabbed

4 minutes ago, Gabbed said:

Golladay didn't out target Jones last week.  He only had 3 targets to Jones' 5 in week 2.  Golladay did out target him in week 1 when no one had any real pro tape on Golladay and Jones was shadowed by Peterson... hard to glean anything concrete from that game other than defenses need to account for Golladay which only helps open up Jones.

Missed that you're right. What was disappointing was he only caught one of the targets. But golladay was obviously not impressive last Monday either. Neither wr had many stafford attempts to show off. 

Marvin is above golladay right now per targets technically last Monday. I just think last year Stafford showed us how he treats and utilizes Marvin. He had a great start but I just don't think he has a role that can sustain great starts. A solid flex is his upside in the role and how Stafford has proven in how he utilizes him. Tate and Ebron (if he stays healthy) will get the yards.

Golladay however has different and higher upside. Just has a bigger build/prototype size to develop into a top option for Stafford at some point this season. He'll probably never surpass Tate in targets this year, but I still maintain he'll likely rise above Marvin in the pecking order sometime soon this year which causes me to not get excited about Marvin for 2017

13 minutes ago, cbe_88 said:

Missed that you're right. What was disappointing was he only caught one of the targets. But golladay was obviously not impressive last Monday either. Neither wr had many stafford attempts to show off. 

Marvin is above golladay right now per targets technically last Monday. I just think last year Stafford showed us how he treats and utilizes Marvin. He had a great start but I just don't think he has a role that can sustain great starts. A solid flex is his upside in the role and how Stafford has proven in how he utilizes him. Tate and Ebron (if he stays healthy) will get the yards.

Golladay however has different and higher upside. Just has a bigger build/prototype size to develop into a top option for Stafford at some point this season. He'll probably never surpass Tate in targets this year, but I still maintain he'll likely rise above Marvin in the pecking order sometime soon this year which causes me to not get excited about Marvin for 2017

That's fair and there are a TON of mouths to feed in Detroit, good problem for real football but in fantasy...

As far as Golladay taking over a larger target share, I could see it happening and actually hope it does for the future of the team, but I don't think it happens in the first half of the season and I think Jones could be huge weeks 6-11, when the bye weeks come around and the Lions have some juicy match ups.  Saints (wk 6), Steelers (8) Packers (9) and potentially Browns (10)/Bears(11).

Worth keeping around for me in any 12+ league unless I'm stacked at WR.  At least until I have a better reason to drop him than Peterson and Stafford only throwing 4 passes in the second half of a game.

Edited by Gabbed

Just now, Gabbed said:

That's fair and there are a TON of mouths to feed in Detroit, good problem for real football but in fantasy...

As far as Golladay taking over a larger target share, I could see it happening and actually hope it does for the future of the team, but I don't think it happens in the first half of the season and I think Jones could be huge weeks 6-11, when the bye weeks come around and the Lions have some juicy match ups.  Saints (wk 6), Steelers (8) Packers (9) and potentially Browns (10)/Bears(11).

Worth keeping around for me in any 12+ league unless I'm stacked at WR.

There are certainly worse owns than Marvin on your bench for td upside alone and a great high functioning offense led by a top10 (if not 7) arm. But I'm holding golladay right now, I think by the time you get to those later juicy matchups mentioned golladay will have developed bit and caught Stafford eye enough to have bigger games in those weeks 6-11

• Like 1

1 hour ago, burninglegs said:

Things change week to week tho, look at sammy. His targets were low but he finally broke loose 

• Like 1

Anyone firing him up today with Golladay not playing?  Originally had Marshall in that slot...

4 minutes ago, Nah85 said:

Anyone firing him up today with Golladay not playing?  Originally had Marshall in that slot...

Interesting development

Had to drop Jones in a 12 team PPR league. There's no way you can start him and have any confidence he'll produce.

Detroit has so many different players that get the ball there's just no way for him to have consistent production.

Just think between Riddick and Abdullah that's 10 + targets right there between 2 RB's.

I'm still befuddled that he's in on almost every single offensive snap and can't produce. He's talented for sure. Does he draw the #1 CB each week? Anyway, I'm holding but only because I have Marqise Lee who just looked awful against the Jets. Dropping him and hoping MJJ can produce against the Panthers and Saints the next two weeks.

he has had a brutal schedule but I've watched him a lot and he's awful at getting separation. he is big and has good ball skills but is basically never open. like a homeless mans Dez and with Stafford playing extremely conservatively that limits his targets to red zone and deep balls on 3rd and long. I hope other teams stsrt using their top corner on Tate, that would seem to make more sense as Jones has had defenses treat him like he is Dez so far. if they keep doing that he will be low-yardage, low-target hope for TD flex. he does bring upside if he gets soft matchups or gets more in sync with Stafford imo

I dropped. I had high hopes for him but he's not getting many targets so you're praying for a TD to have a good game. That's waiver material.

After losing ODB and having Dez on bye, I'm forced to take a flier on him. If he can't produce in this spot, then he isn't rosterable. 

2 hours ago, Mek Daddy said:

After losing ODB and having Dez on bye, I'm forced to take a flier on him. If he can't produce in this spot, then he isn't rosterable. 

He's had more than enough opportunity to produce the last two weeks with Kenny Golladay injured. Now Golladay is back. I don't see this game as being a great spot. Lions offense is very vanilla, heavily targets Riddick (2nd in targets after Tate), and the Saints D is improving. Jones playing a lot of snaps is deceiving for fantasy purposes. He's out there on every play, but either doesn't get open or is just not a priority read. He's only an option if you're absolutely desperate with no other viable alternatives.

On 10/13/2017 at 9:15 AM, 7sof said:

Streaming thoughts this week?

He's ranked 6th in snap count % for WR's, so could that translate into targets?  Highest o/u in vegas this week.

6th in snap total, but a even better 4th in snap %, should be lots of snaps and points this week.

Likely going to be shadowed by Lattimore who shut down Cooks, KB and Parker in NO's last 3 games. Plus Stafford isn't healthy. Benching him in the 3 leagues I own him in. 

13 hours ago, joshua18 said:

Likely going to be shadowed by Lattimore who shut down Cooks, KB and Parker in NO's last 3 games. Plus Stafford isn't healthy. Benching him in the 3 leagues I own him in. 

Ugh. Glad he got the targets, though. Looking forward to seeing him ascend after the bye week.

• Like 1