Sign in to follow this  
SpecialFNK

Matt Olson 2017 Outlook

recently called back up by the A's.

minor league numbers..

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/profile.asp?P=matt-olson-3

this season in AAA he had 17 HR/43 RBI, and has shown good power through the minors.

hasn't had the success yet with the A's, but he has  2 HR today (June 24)

Hit two HR'S today and has walked twice as well.  His power is for real, but I've been more impressed by his patience at this point.  For being so young he sure looks like a veteran when at the plate.  He has a good eye. 

Edited by cizastro

No love for this guy after four home runs in his last five games? He strikes out a ton, but the power is real and he's got a full-time job after the Alonso trade.

I actually saw him a couple years ago in A Ball and like quemortal said his power is definitely for real. Doesn't hit for avg or do anything really other than K or HR. though He has a decent eye and can draw some walks. His power is never compromised so he swings for the fence whether the count is 3-0 or 0-2.

I picked him up last week. I play in a 12 team league and have a big lead and 4 injured position players, therefore I was in a spot to take a chance and have some fun before the playoffs start and since I have followed him a little and was looking strictly for Home runs. Once he got called up and was given everyday at bats I figured what the heck. Never under any other circumstance would I have considered actually starting him. 

3 hours ago, LivingOnTheEdge said:

Dude is doing great, what is his upside ?

He only hit .272 in the PCL this year, but people seem to think the power is real.  Even though it was the PCL, his MLB numbers are pretty much right in line with what he did down there right now.  Obviously his average is down a bit, but that was to be expected.

I picked him up and had him in there yesterday.  Not a bad guy to have right now to rotate from CI to OF and such if you need a bit of a power boost, which is what I plan on doing and why I picked him up.  But to try to give a more simple answer, I would say if you need power, he wouldn't be a bad flier.

Just hit a 3-run HR, giving him a HR in 3 straight games.  Is he going on Rhys Hoskins on us?

Seriously though, this is the second time since he's been called up that he's homered in 3 straight games.  He's not "sexy" like Rhys Hoskins, but I think it is safe to say that people were right about his power being for real.

He started the year 0-for-9, and he's 28-for-101 with 11 HRs since. I think he's still only starting against righties for the most part, but that gets my attention.

On 8/30/2017 at 6:10 PM, brockpapersizer said:

Should be a good obp guy, maybe has upside like Brandon Moss when he was better.

seems about spot on.  maybe a tad bit more power while the ball is being lively.

Facing only 1 L this week and with the exception of 1 SP, the rest are garbage, nice streaming option for a few dingers......

11 minutes ago, Lightning Bat said:

Is this guy worth riding for ROS? 

I'm tagging in, hoping for some info as well........

May have to grab him with Hanley and Alonso my only 1B options. Seems hot and might be plenty of AB's ROS.

9 hours ago, Members_Only_76 said:

May have to grab him with Hanley and Alonso my only 1B options. Seems hot and might be plenty of AB's ROS.

Starting vs LHP.  He's got more of a pulse than the 2 deceased options you mentioned.  

Next week he's visiting Boston and Philly. And he'll miss Sale in that trip. The power is obviously real. Could be a great play next week in those parks.

Any thoughts on this guy being a possible keeper consideration in 2018? He's on my radar in my league that keeps 8. 

This rookie is having a ridiculous introduction to the Majors. I know the BA won't be replicated, but he's up to 16 HR in 146 AB. I'm thinking this young man should be a serious keeper consideration in leagues with deeper keeper rosters. Jmho. 

Picked him up during my first round bye... Could be the ticket to a championship. Dude looks good.