dabeesta17

De'Angelo Henderson 2017 Season Outlook

The Broncos backfield is nothing to get excited about. Booker had every chance to take this job and run with it last year. He ended up averaging 3.5 ypc (174 carries) and lost three fumbles. Jamaal Charles is STILL not 100% healthy two years after the knee injury. There's no reason to believe he'll ever play significant football again. Not to mention, he was signed to a very team-friendly one-year, $1 million deal. For all the hoopla surrounding CJ Anderson the past few years, he's never rushed for more than 850 yards in a season and is coming off a major knee injury himself.

There's an opportunity here for Henderson to get significant playing time right out of the gate. Joseph has also talked about using an RBBC. Its conceivable Henderson is the 1a or 2 in this RB rotation by Week 1. You won't have to draft him in most leagues unless he kills it in the preseason. But definitely someone to keep an eye on in dynasty.

Measurables: 4.48 speed, 20 bench reps. 5'8, 210. Not to mention some very impressive stats at Coastal Carolina. 97 career receptions in college.

The problem with Denver last year was partially their offensive line which they addressed somewhat through the draft and free agency. Obviously their QB play has to improve from last year as well. 

I would not have high hopes for anyone other than CJ from that backfield on Draft Day unless it is dynasty format and then it could be worth a flyer on Booker or Henderson. 

Edited by cousinal111

Bad O-line + uncertainty in QB = ????

I don't know how long that dirty defense will keep them afloat. 

6 hours ago, cousinal111 said:

The problem with Denver last year was partially their offensive line which they addressed somewhat through the draft and free agency. Obviously their QB play has to improve from last year as well. 

I would not have high hopes for anyone other than CJ from that backfield on Draft Day unless it is dynasty format and then it could be worth a flyer on Booker or Henderson. 

I'm just not seeing why anybody would believe Booker will turn into anything. He fumbled his first NFL carry, and ended up losing three fumbles on only 174 carries.

wheefumble.0.gif

The O-line is definitely an issue, but Anderson averaged 4.0 ypc and Bibbs 4.4, so its not like the line was completely ineffective. Booker had three games last season with 18+ carries (workhorse-type loads). He ended up with 85 carries for 244 yards; or about 2.9 ypc in those games. The more work he got, the worse he performed.

Matt Jones is the example of what happens to young RBs who fumble a lot. He only got a second chance because he was pretty effective when running the ball. Booker looks horrible as a featured back. The opportunity is there for Henderson, with Charles being done, Anderson not being able to stay on the field, and Booker being bad. Whether or not he takes advantage of it is a different story.

^ Booker catches the ball well out of the backfield. A lot of young RB's fumble, especially with over 210 touches, that is a fixable problem.

I'm not saying he will even make the roster but the potential for a solid PPR option if the opportunity presents itself.

4 hours ago, dabeesta17 said:

I'm just not seeing why anybody would believe Booker will turn into anything.

How did Melvin Gordon do his rookie season?

7 minutes ago, PBR me ASAP said:

How did Melvin Gordon do his rookie season?

Is that a rhetorical question? You can look up Melvin Gordon's rookie stats pretty easily on Google if not. Gordon was a 1st round (top 15) pick by the Chargers so he'll get the benefit of the doubt due to draft capital. 4th rounders aren't granted the same leeway. This isn't the Gordon thread, but 10 TDs made an otherwise uninspiring 3.9 ypc look good last year.

10 minutes ago, hard1 said:

https://predominantlyorange.com/2017/07/27/deangelo-henderson-big-opportunity-booker-injury/

So now just two guys coming off knee injuries in front of him....hmmm

And Stephen Ridley who they just signed. And Juwan Thompson who was getting work with the 1's today.  Plus Booker expected back in 6 weeks.   Which is the start of the reg season.    

So yeah....a good speculative add in deeper leagues but nothing more.    

Looks like impreza won't be making the add....no doubt this is a deep roster stash....

On a side note when you said ridley did you go yeah guy hasn't played meaningful snaps in like 3 years and think he has a chance or you were just saying? 

Edited by hard1

With injuries and age and failings to support CJA, woe the Bronco backfield, who's to say Deangelo Henderson ain't 2017's Devontae Booker? 

And with Booker's 2016 totals of 205 touches for 877 yards, 5TDs, 3 fumbles, who's to say Henderson should be rostered...

6 hours ago, cohenstantinople said:

With injuries and age and failings to support CJA, woe the Bronco backfield, who's to say Deangelo Henderson ain't 2017's Devontae Booker? 

And with Booker's 2016 totals of 205 touches for 877 yards, 5TDs, 3 fumbles, who's to say Henderson should be rostered...

The ironic subtlety only a Cohen post can capture fully.  Lol

Preseason and all that... anyway I thought he looked pretty good out there last night. Has breakaway speed no other RB on the roster has, save a healthy younger Jamaal Charles. After that performance I find myself asking why Juwan Thompson is even on the team still. Likely still has CJA and Ridley in front of him so maybe not super fantasy relevant this season, but an exciting player with a lot of potential moving forward

I don't think this is the last of De'Angelo that we will talk about this season. I have a gut feeling he will be fantasy relevant at some point this season. We already know who CJA is, and it isn't much. Booker is banged up. Doubt Charles is the answer or even makes the team. Broncos just have one mediocre RB after another mediocre RB. Positive vibes from the team too. He might not be fantasy relevant week 1. Or even week 5. But for a late round flier/lotto ticket, he is worth it if you have room on your bench and are looking for a late round RB lotto ticket. 

9pInYgY.gif

1 hour ago, burninglegs said:

I don't think this is the last of De'Angelo that we will talk about this season. I have a gut feeling he will be fantasy relevant at some point this season. We already know who CJA is, and it isn't much. Booker is banged up. Doubt Charles is the answer or even makes the team. Broncos just have one mediocre RB after another mediocre RB. Positive vibes from the team too. He might not be fantasy relevant week 1. Or even week 5. But for a late round flier/lotto ticket, he is worth it if you have room on your bench and are looking for a late round RB lotto ticket. 

9pInYgY.gif

Anythings possible but you likely have to stash him for a while first.   Tough pick in a redraft.    Booker slated to be back by opening day or close to it- and hes well liked by the coaches in this power system.  Second team is Ridley/Booker.  JC will get his first preseason action against GB in game 3 so who knows where hes at.    

I've even heard rumors Denver might PUP Henderson and transfer him to IR to keep him protected but not on the active roster.   But thats merely informed speculation at this point.  

First we need to see what JC has left- if anything.  

1 hour ago, burninglegs said:

9pInYgY.gif

Great vision and decisiveness shown on that play. That's a helluva run.

52 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

Anythings possible but you likely have to stash him for a while first.   Tough pick in a redraft.    Booker slated to be back by opening day or close to it- and hes well liked by the coaches in this power system.  Second team is Ridley/Booker.  JC will get his first preseason action against GB in game 3 so who knows where hes at.    

I've even heard rumors Denver might PUP Henderson and transfer him to IR to keep him protected but not on the active roster.   But thats merely informed speculation at this point.  

You must be thinking of Carlos Henderson a wr/RB because de'angelo isnt hurt or maybe booker?

booker might get PUPed, he sucks anyway

Edited by lolcopter

1 hour ago, Impreza178 said:

You are definitely not wrong. If Henderson can keep learning, keep performing and keep growing into a NFL level RB, anything can happen this season. If he gets lazy, doesn't take things seriously or just doesn't perform, then I doubt he'll do anything this season. This stash is definitely a later in the season potential lotto ticket. Whether or not it is the winning ticket won't be revealed until much later. But I feel he has the tools that could make him successful in Denver. Not to mention there isn't some extraordinary talent ahead of him on the depth chart that has the position on lock down. If a team has shorter roster + short bench, then obviously one can't stash him. But if you are in a deep league and looking for end of draft RB lotto tickets, he isn't a bad option to keep on the short list. 

1 hour ago, dabeesta17 said:

Great vision and decisiveness shown on that play. That's a helluva run.

I agree. I look forward to seeing more of what he can do this preseason. Lots of positive talk from the Broncos on him. 

If anyone gets pupped it's JC or Booker...honesty if they waived Booker and tried to PS him would anyone make a claim?

2 hours ago, lolcopter said:

You must be thinking of Carlos Henderson a wr/RB because de'angelo isnt hurt or maybe booker?

booker might get PUPed, he sucks anyway

No I'm talking about Deangelo.   It's a sneaky move but you can put down some minor injury and PUP the guy for so many weeks and then IR him if u need even more time.    They did the same thing with Julius Thomas his rookie year.    Phantom ankle injury.    Keeps a talented young guy off the practice squad.    If Booker doesn't work out he can be activated.  

Not my idea- Renck was speculating it today on the radio.  But honestly we know nothing until JC plays and we get clear status on Books.   Apparently they really like him still.   

Hmm... don't really see that happening, and Carlos was a third round pick who just fumbled two kickoffs and he has a busted thumb so that seemed more likely to me