Sign in to follow this  
Rolling Thunder

Zach Ertz 2017 Outlook

I like Ertz this year, but there's something about the posts above and these podcasts I'm listening to that just doesn't sit right with me.

Ertz had a big 2nd half last year but after looking at gamelogs and the end-of-year team stats, it seems like most of the targets were getting funneled into 2 guys: Matthews & Ertz. Agholor and Green-Beckham were way down the food chain.

Ok, now the Eagles trade Matthews but added A.Jeffrey & Torrey Smith as their WR1/2. I look at these guys in their heyday with Cutler & Flacco, Jeffrey got ~140 targets and Smith ~110. They're both still in their 20s. I just wipe out the years they were injured or were playing with Gabbert & Kap. When I add A. Jeffrey & 28yo T.Smith but subtract Jordan Matthews, I don't see the OPPORTUNITY increase that sorta happened last year when Wentz's targets were funneled into 2 capable receivers. I just don't.

Just now, bbythepier said:

I like Ertz this year, but there's something about the posts above and these podcasts I'm listening to that just doesn't sit right with me.

Ertz had a big 2nd half last year but after looking at gamelogs and the end-of-year team stats, it seems like most of the targets were getting funneled into 2 guys: Matthews & Ertz. Agholor and Green-Beckham were way down the food chain.

Ok, now the Eagles trade Matthews but added A.Jeffrey & Torrey Smith as their WR1/2. I look at these guys in their heyday with Cutler & Flacco, Jeffrey got ~140 targets and Smith ~110. They're both still in their 20s. I just wipe out the years they were injured or were playing with Gabbert & Kap. When I add A. Jeffrey & 28yo T.Smith but subtract Jordan Matthews, I don't see the OPPORTUNITY increase that sorta happened last year when Wentz's targets were funneled into 2 capable receivers. I just don't.

Wentz and Ertz have a bromance together. Wentz is going to feed his boy plenty this year. Smith is a one trick pony deep threat and there's plenty to go around for Jeffrey. 

4 minutes ago, bbythepier said:

He might not get as many targets as you would like, but I think with Alshon and Torrey on the outside, that opens the middle of the field more for Ertz and I think he will be more efficient with the targets that he will be getting.  I personally think he will be #2 in targets on the team though, very high on Ertz this year.

High floor guy who doesn't seem to have a lot of upside.  If you want a set-and-forget "good performer" at TE, this guy might be the poor man's Delanie Walker / Greg Olsen.

Just now, KennyWoo said:

High floor guy who doesn't seem to have a lot of upside.  If you want a set-and-forget "good performer" at TE, this guy might be the poor man's Delanie Walker / Greg Olsen.

Ertz has a boatload of upside, just doesn't seem to get the looks. The addition of Alshon may help or hurt him, Peterson is unpredictable (in a bad way). Ertz might get looks now that Alshon demands attention, or Alshon might just get all the opportunities and get the rock all the time.

Ultimately I just don't trust Pederson. 

5 hours ago, bigbluecrew56 said:

Wentz and Ertz have a bromance together. Wentz is going to feed his boy plenty this year. Smith is a one trick pony deep threat and there's plenty to go around for Jeffrey. 

Exactly. I look at it like, this guy is who Wentz is comfortable with. And Smith/Jeffrey will just open up the field more for him. 

Last season was Pederson's first season as the HC. And Ertz couldn't be evaluated fairly last season because Lane was suspended 10 games and Ertz was asked to do a lot more blocking. This season should be a better evaluation of how Pederson will use his TE in future seasons. Also helps that Matthews is gone to open up more targets over the middle.

Nice little blurb update this morning for Ertz...

Zach Ertz believes he'll "probably have more targets" with Jordan Matthews out of the picture.

It was no secret that Matthews was Carson Wentz's best friend and most trusted target, but Ertz appears to have taken over that role with Matthews now in Buffalo. Alshon Jeffery and Torrey Smith are still trying to connect with Wentz. Ertz won't be competing with Matthews for targets between the hashmarks. In the two games Matthews missed last season, Ertz caught 22 passes for 218 yards and three touchdowns on 31 targets. Ertz has big upside in PPR formats.

12 hours ago, ludawg23 said:

Nice little blurb update this morning for Ertz...

Zach Ertz believes he'll "probably have more targets" with Jordan Matthews out of the picture.

It was no secret that Matthews was Carson Wentz's best friend and most trusted target, but Ertz appears to have taken over that role with Matthews now in Buffalo. Alshon Jeffery and Torrey Smith are still trying to connect with Wentz. Ertz won't be competing with Matthews for targets between the hashmarks. In the two games Matthews missed last season, Ertz caught 22 passes for 218 yards and three touchdowns on 31 targets. Ertz has big upside in PPR formats.

I also just read that over the final 9 games of last tear, Ertz was the #1 overall TE. 

All systems go!

Yeah there's a reason behind Kelce being the number 1 TE last season. Now with Doug Pederson I would -not- be suprised if Ertz finishes first purely based off volume and staying healthy.

Promising start to the season for him. Thankfully he won't have to worry about Berry covering him next week.

Have to be honest... I didn't even want this guy.  Grabbed him during a TE run in the draft after I missed out on a few other guys.  Couldn't be happier to have been wrong about him.

2 hours ago, GottaGetTheWin said:

As good as it gets.  At this point, with Kelce being hit or miss as usual he should be ranked #2 TE behind Gronk. 

I agree, i need his super high floor and rock solid weekly production in my TE spot every week. He's a buy high in that high volume offense with his chem with wentz. Honestly think he is only going up from herr

Hope the TDs keep coming, good sign Wentz went back to back RZ targets to him and connected on the second one.

I’m so sad I missed out on him. I thought he was one of the most undervalued players in ADP.

Dude is legit performing like a top-50 player in terms of ADP. I can’t even get the owner to trade him to me.

Is this dude worth trading for? He's not really discussed on Roto, and I'm confused of his value. I need some TE consistency in my life.