Hasselhoff

Nick Williams 2017 Outlook

Just called up from AAA:

Edited by Hasselhoff
wrong link lol

I have seen him play many times at AAA. He *looks* the part of a toolsy OF with upside.   Lots of whiffs though, and his work ethic/attitude aren't always on point.

I'd be pleasantly surprised if he hit.250 in the bigs and K rate under 30%....

The swing and power seem for real. Earned a promotion  by walking 8 times in the past 13 games but his overall K/BB numbers aren't great. Temper expectations but he could flash a bit here and there. 

fangraphs (and maybe others) maybe missed a game or something?

thebaseballcube has him with 78 games/282 AB and 79 H.

fangraphs has 77 games/278 AB and 77 H.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/profile.asp?P=nick-williams-2

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=sa657981&position=OF

Grabbed for fun but expect the same thing that Brinson went through.  Newcomb was supposed to walk everyone and their grandma but he's been ok so far.  Sometimes you catch lightning in a bottle so we'll see. 

He is going to get destroyed in the majors. Like 4/52 with 25Ks lol. I own him so im hoping for that 20/52 with 5HR outburst haha

3 minutes ago, bigbossman said:

He's looking quite good so far...anything to see here??

Yes. He was a top prospect who cooled off with a bad 2017.  He's not going to be an elite guy, but certainly can hit for some power a respectable average and maybe throw in some steals while he's young. He certainly has some potential. 

Had him briefly when he first came up.  He hit for a decent average, but hadn't gotten any RBIs, so I cut him.  Picked him back up yesterday.

I guess he's making up for not having any RBIs at first since he has 3 HRs and 12 RBIs in his last 7 games.  Obviously he's not going to keep that up, but I have a feeling I will be keeping him a little longer than I did the first time.

Another blast, this kid has serious power.

He's been my Altherr replacement and I've got no complaints thus far.

6 hours ago, High&Inside said:

As a Phillies fan this kid gives me hope for next year.

I'm not a Phillies fan, but I am anxious to see what they look like when Altherr, Williams, Hoskins, and Kingery are in the lineup together, and with Alfaro behind the plate. I'm not a believer in Crawford's bat, but I guess you never know. Potentially add in Cozens or Quinn, and the Phils could have an exciting young lineup by the end of 2018 and headed into 2019.

This is for the old timers.

He reminds me of Kal Daniels. Unbelievable opposite field power.

Another 3Rbis. Is this guy just enjoying a hot streak? Have a feeling once pitchers get more info on him, they'll learn how to pitch him. 

Does he stick around after Altherr returns?

Edited by borindia

21 minutes ago, borindia said:

Does he stick around after Altherr returns?

Yes.  Altherr may be back before the weekend but the Rotoworld blurb mentioned that Howie Kendrick would give back the other corner outfield job to him and move back into being the utility guy if they can't trade Kendrick away.

49 minutes ago, HaloFanatic17 said:

Another 3Rbis. Is this guy just enjoying a hot streak? Have a feeling once pitchers get more info on him, they'll learn how to pitch him. 

Possibly no.  Obviously he is on a hot streak, but he has legit talent, so he has a shot to be productive the rest of the way.  I'm just enjoying the ride right now.

13 hours ago, B&F said:

This is for the old timers.

He reminds me of Kal Daniels. Unbelievable opposite field power.

Some of these oppo hrs he's hitting are ridiculous.  Just effortless.

His swing is awesome.   If the kid had a great eye he'd be unstoppable.

He has a mediocre pedigree and a relatively boring name working against him, but why can't he be Domonic Brown, circa twenty-thirteen all over again?...

He's really driving the baseball well right now. I don't know that I expect it to continue, but it's easy to see the Adam Jones comps. Doesn't walk a ton, aggressive in the strikezone, good ability to hunt fastballs.

Walk rate and BABIP are virtually identical to AAA, but he's managed to shave 5% off the K-rate. If that's sustainable, he's going to be a good complementary type player (5/6th hitter on a pretty good team).