Beakman

July Closer Thread 2017

5 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Rodney: INF ERA: INF WHIP; 

Well, it's a good thing he didn't get anyone out. Because that actually looks better than 108.00 ERA and 18.00 WHIP.

After holding him all the way through April and in fact the entire season, I'm actually wondering if he's a drop now. As in right now before the second tornado hits.

Edited by Fiveohnine

1 minute ago, rich22 said:

Ray wasn't the pitcher of record, anyway.   He left 1-1

Ahh ok gotcha!  

Ray only pitched 6 innings, the D'backs didn't take the lead until the 8th

You gotta give it to Rodney. Whats that saying? If you're gonna f--- up, f--- up REAL GOOD!

He gave a good Dellin Betances impersonation  

Edited by rich22

Dammit blew the win for Archie! Oh well one step closer to Archie as closer is the consolation prize. 

1 minute ago, Purple Hippo said:

Dammit blew the win for Archie! Oh well one step closer to Archie as closer is the consolation prize. 

Still about 5 steps away

20 minutes ago, JetsAwesome said:

Wow - i mean 4 walks - your better off letting them put ball in play.  Its a shame they waited so long to remove him.

Ray's beautiful start is blown and Rodney job perhaps in jeopardy!

Ray left the game when it was tied 1-1. Rodney's performance didn't in any way affect Ray's start.

EDIT: Nvm someone already posted this. My bad y'all.

Edited by CFN

4 minutes ago, rich22 said:

Still about 5 steps away

Maybe but an epic meltdown against your main division rival in an important game might have more of a negative impact than you think. 

Also compounded by the fact that Archie looked absolutely dominant in contrast. I think he only threw like 5 pitches in the eight to retire the side.

Edited by Purple Hippo

Well, if Rodney does lose the job, here's to hoping he loses it quickly. I really can't afford another Rodney April in roto.

57 minutes ago, Fiveohnine said:

Nothing wrong with posting facts. So long as they're accurate, which they were with respect to his previous 5 outings.

But I figured you guys would have dropped the defensiveness by now.

They weren't facts. Don't know why you're defending the poster in question. Holding Boxberger? 

56 minutes ago, colepenhagen said:

no earned runs in may and june for rodney

Divine intervention. 

apparently Carlos Correa had an issue with Osuna, in how he waited before throwing to first.

here is a video of the play..

maybe if Correa had hustled and ran faster then Osuna would have thrown the ball quicker.

it should also be noted that when Osuna got the ball Smoak wasn't even at 1st base yet to take a throw.

Correa needs to change his panties because they're all bunched up.

Even after last night, Rodney's whip over the last 30 days ballooned to 1.13.  I'm still on the Rodney boat, but wouldn't blame anyone if they wanted to stash Bradley given Rodney's recent 2nd half history.  

In the last month, the Nats have produced exactly 1 save.   From Romero on June 17th.   I know there have been plenty of blownsies mixed in, but the lack of saves and 9th inning clarity is killing teams that are holding on to Albers, Romero or both to get those precious Nats saves.  Yeah, everyone knows they are trading for a "bonafide" closer before July 31 and I know a bunch of the posters on this thread say "it's not worth rostering the Nats guys because they are trading for a closer soon," but for those in bloodthirsty save rotisserie leagues, every save is huge.  Especially when they come for free off the waiver wire.  3-5 extra saves before any closer trade could mean several points in the standings.   Here's hoping a bunch come soon.   

Edited by swingbatter

^

a guy in 1 of my leagues drafted Shawn Kelly, Blake Trienen and Koda Glover back in February and has since picked up Matt Albers.

Brutal ... I actually feel sorry for the guy

2 hours ago, SpecialFNK said:

apparently Carlos Correa had an issue with Osuna, in how he waited before throwing to first.

maybe if Correa had hustled and ran faster then Osuna would have thrown the ball quicker.

it should also be noted that when Osuna got the ball Smoak wasn't even at 1st base yet to take a throw.

What's with baseball players whining about "getting shown up"??  Isn't the whole point of sports to compete and try to show the other team / player up?  This is the only sport I know of where you're not allowed to act a certain way or show any emotion when you're winning.  You must look at the ground and scowl (but not too scowly), throw the ball quickly (but not too quickly), and once the game has ended a cordial handshake is allowable among teammates (as long as smiles don't extend enough to show teeth).

2 hours ago, SpecialFNK said:

here is a video of the play..

Never realized Correa is such a whiny twat. Osuna did nothing wrong. I wouldn't have thought anything of the play if Carlos hadn't called it out. Sheesh. Brian McCann has certainly made his presence felt on the team. 

11 hours ago, JetsAwesome said:

cant see the game - at one point should someone have come to settle him down.

He's been very good past two months but an implosion like this should put his job in jeopardy for sure.  Pretty sad.

Chill there Chicken Little.  Rodney isn't remotely in any way shape or form losing his job over this.  All closers blow up every once in awhile as they, like any other pitcher, lose their feel for the strike zone in an outing.  It happens.  It has always happened.  It always will happen.  He has been one of the very best closers in the game post-April.  His job isn't remotely in jeopardy.

19 minutes ago, AnonymousRob said:

Never realized Correa is such a whiny twat. Osuna did nothing wrong. I wouldn't have thought anything of the play if Carlos hadn't called it out. Sheesh. Brian McCann has certainly made his presence felt on the team. 

Hmmmm, batters can do bat flips and slow trots around the bases but pitchers aren't allowed to be happy in the least for doing a good job?  What the hell is wrong with Correra?  I didn't realize he was some spoiled brat.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

57 minutes ago, jb_power said:

^

a guy in 1 of my leagues drafted Shawn Kelly, Blake Trienen and Koda Glover back in February and has since picked up Matt Albers.

Brutal ... I actually feel sorry for the guy

Are you playing against Dusty Baker?

3 hours ago, AnonymousRob said:

Completely random and just MY OPINION...

I've always gotten a douche vibe off him.  Completely random and has nothing to do with fantasy baseball.

Random closer thoughts -

Cincy - I'd think Lorenzen would be next up if Iggy is dealt.

Detroit - I picked up Rondon two weeks ago in a deep dynasty league in case J. Wilson gets traded.  People forget that he was Joe Jimenez before Joe Jimenez was. 

Nats should be bringing in TWO bullpen pieces.

TB - Boxberger is back and he's my add as a Colome owner trying to cover my investment.